Beet harvesting output

They work well in all conditions with all manner of rubbish. It’s important to spend time setting up correctly though and go at a appropriate speed for the conditions. Was among this recently:-
View attachment 60717 View attachment 60718 View attachment 60719

It was difficult to see the rows here, although auto steer worked very well surprisingly in this gappy uneven poor crop with beets all heights and sizes... Would top lifting machines cope with this kind of going?
Yeah it would work ok. As long as there’s plenty of leaves on the beet you just keep to the height of the big beet and it will get most of the small ones. I was in a crop of very uneven beet last week with the thyregod. There was a solid layer of grass throughout the crop. I have hydraulic drive on the squeeze wheels so barely had the machine in the ground and picked the beet without lifting the grass. Was wondering how a share lifter would work as all that grass would end up in the harvester

Yeah it would work ok. As long as there’s plenty of leaves on the beet you just keep to the height of the big beet and it will get most of the small ones. I was in a crop of very uneven beet last week with the thyregod. There was a solid layer of grass throughout the crop. I have hydraulic drive on the squeeze wheels so barely had the machine in the ground and picked the beet without lifting the grass. Was wondering how a share lifter would work as all that grass would end up in the harvester
The Vervaet has variable speed vibrating shares so would work similar to your oppel wheels. Just run light and give it time to squeeze them out leaving grass between rows behind. It has a variable speed flail topper that really sucks up grass weeds, rubbish and tops quite well. There are auto depth wheel sensors on each row and rotating paddles between each pair of shares to propel beets onto the two front turbines that run above ground. Six variable speed turbines with independently adjustable height gates then clean and sort anything that gets through. You can get the odd stone or two in the sample if on stony land but unless your running a top lifter this is always the case.

When we sell our own fodder beet it all goes over our Jones cleaner with stars / web cleaners and four man picking off grading table. We always have someone on there to make sure what we supply is completely stone, clod and trash free and safe to feed with diet feeders / cutting equipment.

Reactions: AYF
Wonder how much a day them lads did?.... Those old photos are far more interesting than modern stuff... Thanks for posting.
I think they could pull two acres a day but the beet was still on the ground and sometimes had to be covered against frost . It was then spronged into the trap trailer and then spronged out of the big heap into the big trailer.

The Vervaet has variable speed vibrating shares so would work similar to your oppel wheels. Just run light and give it time to squeeze them out leaving grass between rows behind. It has a variable speed flail topper that really sucks up grass weeds, rubbish and tops quite well. There are auto depth wheel sensors on each row and rotating paddles between each pair of shares to propel beets onto the two front turbines that run above ground. Six variable speed turbines with independently adjustable height gates then clean and sort anything that gets through. You can get the odd stone or two in the sample if on stony land but unless your running a top lifter this is always the case.

When we sell our own fodder beet it all goes over our Jones cleaner with stars / web cleaners and four man picking off grading table. We always have someone on there to make sure what we supply is completely stone, clod and trash free and safe to feed with diet feeders / cutting equipment.
Very interesting post. I have a strange fascination with how the different harvesters work. I use an old Jones load master for cleaning the beet as well. I shortened the picking table and put a pair of spring loaded contra rotating rollers on it and it removes all but the very biggest stones as long as you don’t put the beet through too fast. One man on the picking table is usually enough. Sometimes I load the beet straight from the thyregod into it to get the job done all in one. It seems to work well enough

Very interesting post. I have a strange fascination with how the different harvesters work. I use an old Jones load master for cleaning the beet as well. I shortened the picking table and put a pair of spring loaded contra rotating rollers on it and it removes all but the very biggest stones as long as you don’t put the beet through too fast. One man on the picking table is usually enough. Sometimes I load the beet straight from the thyregod into it to get the job done all in one. It seems to work well enough

That sound interesting, we don't have a stone issue with our own beet but some I buy in from elsewhere can have stone problems. Have you any pics of your conversion? We had Standen Sceptre harvesters back in the 80's and their cleaner unit comprised of four contra rotating cleaning barrels with retractable 16mm steel rods. There were also two oscillating smaller rollers between them to keep things moving. It was an amazing design that took out all stones, clods and trash very effectively indeed and was also gentle on the beet. In fact it would block rather than let anything through prompting you to go slower. Down side was, it was expensive to run with steel rods and slots wearing rapidly. I often thought how good this type of design would be in a cleaner loader.

Last edited:
That sound interesting, we don't have a stone issue with our own beet but some I buy in from elsewhere can have stone problems. Have you any pics of your conversion? We had Standen Sceptre harvesters back in the 80's and their cleaner unit comprised of four contra rotating cleaning barrels with retractable 16mm steel rods. There were also two oscillating smaller rollers between them to keep thing moving. It was an amazing design that took out all stones, clods and trash very effectively indeed and was also gentle on the beet. In fact it would block rather than let anything through prompting you to go slower. Down side was, it was expensive to run with steel rods and slots wearing rapidly. I often thought how good this type of design would be in a cleaner loader.
I’ll take a video of it next day I’m using it. It works surprisingly well considering it was put together out of a few bits and pieces I had at the time and didn’t cost very much. The two rollers are metal. You can hear the stones on them so it gives the guy on the table a good indication of when the stones are there. I’ve seen that system on the standen I agree it was an amazing concept at the time

I’ll take a video of it next day I’m using it. It works surprisingly well considering it was put together out of a few bits and pieces I had at the time and didn’t cost very much. The two rollers are metal. You can hear the stones on them so it gives the guy on the table a good indication of when the stones are there. I’ve seen that system on the standen I agree it was an amazing concept at the time
Here’s our cleaner in action last week

DF1B51D5-E402-43E1-96EB-6542D5FA68C6.jpeg 1385589B-659C-4778-B2B3-DBE44DD63A6F.jpeg

This was taken 1992 The 40 series had just been launched and we bought one of the first 7840's. It was a SLE model and we had a TB turbo fitted as it struggled with the Turbo Four pictured... This was the last trailed harvester we had.

2206516_orig.jpg 171630_orig.jpg

We had a pair of Armers back in the seventies and all I know of their model was that when the tank was full you had to trap it into a pile in the field; it didn't lift into a trailer. My father caught his coat sleeve on the PTO shaft and broke his arm in several places, was lucky that was all the damage it did. That ended those machines, I remember seeing the leaf chute around here up to a few years ago in the scrap pile, think it was used as a trough for feeding sheep for decades after.

We had a pair of Armers back in the seventies and all I know of their model was that when the tank was full you had to trap it into a pile in the field; it didn't lift into a trailer. My father caught his coat sleeve on the PTO shaft and broke his arm in several places, was lucky that was all the damage it did. That ended those machines, I remember seeing the leaf chute around here up to a few years ago in the scrap pile, think it was used as a trough for feeding sheep for decades after.
Those older armers were a death trap. My father got caught in one back in the seventies. The pre carousel ones had a pto shaft going from the bottom of the machine up to drive the rails. He had a wool jumper on and it got caught in the pin in the shaft. Tore a piece out of his shoulder and nearly choked him. He ran down the road and collapsed into some woman’s front door as she was bringing the kids to school. Another man down the road lost his arm with the same thing

Some of you beet men may find this interesting.

That Stalwart machine had the cleaner I spoke of earlier that was later to be found in the Sceptre and Challenger SP6.. I reckon being two wheel drive was probably a major factor in it's downfall and failure.

Last edited:
My eyes Might Be wonky but Had You duals On The 7600 In The first photo Bog Man?
I sometimes would put a dual on the right hand side if I had to go back into a field that was already opened up and it had rained heavily. It was always easier to work on fresh ground. The Massey 135 was generally on duals for drawing out .

Back