Brexit

John Major spoke this evening at the inaugural Albert Reynolds memorial lecture in the backstage theatre, Longford. I didn't get to watch all of it, college exams coming up and just watched a bit of it when I was eating there. Spoke of the 25th anniversary of the signing of the downing declaration and of his concerns on the effect of Brexit on Anglo Irish relations.

https://www.longfordleader.ie/video...s-memorial-lecture.html#.XA6YsNsiT7Q.facebook

in or out one think is fairly clear the majority of the uk is not happy with the european union , something as to change

Reactions: Paw
in or out one think is fairly clear the majority of the uk is not happy with the european union , something as to change

I'm not sure a majority of people were that bothered about Europe until Cameron decided to have the vote but now we're in the position where whatever happens, half the population are going to be mightily pissed off. nice one, Dave. All this just so he could put to bed a rift within the tory party.

As a matter of interest, what things are you unhappy regarding the EU? genuine question.

John Major spoke this evening at the inaugural Albert Reynolds memorial lecture in the backstage theatre, Longford. I didn't get to watch all of it, college exams coming up and just watched a bit of it when I was eating there. Spoke of the 25th anniversary of the signing of the downing declaration and of his concerns on the effect of Brexit on Anglo Irish relations.

https://www.longfordleader.ie/video...s-memorial-lecture.html#.XA6YsNsiT7Q.facebook

I think Major was an under rated leader, he's spoken a lot of sense on this issue

I think Major was an under rated leader, he's spoken a lot of sense on this issue
He was before my time tbh, but seems to make some very valid points. Only reason i saw that and took interest was I met Albert once, my grand-aunt taught him when he was going to school and he presented her with a signed copy of his autobiography when it was released.

No matter what side you are on, today just shows the stupidity of people in general.

How Theresa May or her cabinet colleagues thought they were going to get this through the House of Commons tomorrow when the dogs on the street knew that it wouldn't happen is beyond me.

I would think Christmas can't come quick enough for the Government at this stage!

No matter what side you are on, today just shows the stupidity of people in general.

How Theresa May or her cabinet colleagues thought they were going to get this through the House of Commons tomorrow when the dogs on the street knew that it wouldn't happen is beyond me.

I would think Christmas can't come quick enough for the Government at this stage!
Is she serious, seems a bit contradictory to me..https://twitter.com/DUPleader/status/1072142368973963264?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet .................. https://twitter.com/dupleader/status/1043543074062966785?lang=en

I think it is becoming clearer every day that British people are left with three options— a hard brexit, Theresa May’s deal or remain.The House of Commons is in total chaos and and not capable of making any decision on Berxit. I think a second referendum is looking more likely every day.

It's all kicking off this morning. Today is going to be a big determination of what direction this Brexit is going to take from here on,

If she goes, who will take her place? Boris has been mentioned, but I don't think he has the balls to take it on. I think he is a big spoofer. He wouldn't lead a crowd of drunks to a pub!
i really dont know
everyone seems to be a bit shy now the shit is flying
i do really hope someone with "big balls" shows up tho and tells how it is instead of pussyfooting about

Looking at it now from an Irish point of view the British are just after jumping off a cliff and are shouting up to Europe and Ireland standing on the edge to throw them a parachute but Europe tosses them a rock with a rope tied to it and the other end tied to Ireland's leg and we not knowing it and here we are smiling down at them not knowing our own fate!!

i really dont know
i do really hope someone with "big balls" shows up tho and tells how it is instead of pussyfooting about

I think she has bigger balls than any of the rest of them, and I think she could well win this vote tonight. If it was easy everyone would want the job, but none of them actually want to put their name to Brexit, it's much easier to heckle from the sidelines.

Oh so true where will it end, just heard her now and she has a point any new leader will not have enough time to do anything else, so their hands will be tied unless they just go for a no deal exit and roll the dice !good luck with it any way

The EU can grant up to I think 2 more years of negotiations under article 50 so there's no rush. Right now they're saying the wont unless there's an election or another referendum, but I'm sure a new PM who wants to negotiate a completely new direction would probably get an extension.

i really dont know

the most likely outcome is that May will stay as leader but her position will be further weakened, if she loses, it won't matter how big her replacement's balls are, he or she will still be in the same position as May, the leader of a minority govt. You may want one of the hard brexit types to get in and do the walking out of the dealership trick, but parliament is legally bound to have a meaningful vote on this issue, and there isn't a parliamentary majority for a no deal brexit, there isn't even a majority for it within the tory party.

What this clown show does demonstrate is that brexit is, and always has been primarily about the ideological split at the heart of the conservative party, it's massively self indulgent of the tory party to be airing it's dirty washing in public at such a critical time. If May does loose this vote, then the fate of the country rests with around 100,000 tory party members, who will choose the next prime minister. let that sink in for a minute, so much for the will of the people.

anyway, for those who thought Priti Patel's comment on starving the Irish out was bad, here's another jaw dropping piece of arrogance:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-politics-46528952?__twitter_impression=true

"We simply cannot allow the Irish to treat us like this," the former minister said about the negotiating tactics of the Taoiseach, Leo Varadkar.

The Conservative MP was exasperated that the Republic of Ireland (population: 4.8m) has been able to shape the EU negotiating stance that has put such pressure on the UK (population: 66m).

"This simply cannot stand," the one-time moderniser told me. "The Irish really should know their place."

It's almost like Ireland have the full backing of a powerful union.

The EU can grant up to I think 2 more years of negotiations under article 50 so there's no rush. Right now they're saying the wont unless there's an election or another referendum, but I'm sure a new PM who wants to negotiate a completely new direction would probably get an extension.

The ECJ just ruled that the UK can unilaterally withdraw their article 50 notification. So parliament could simply vote to withdraw article 50 and stay in the union indefinitely with the same deal we have now.

( It's also worth noting that The ECJ have effectively said the British government can do something without needing EU countries approval first, which kind of blows the idea that the UK parliament is not sovereign out of the water)

I’ll be careful not to use any words that could be perceived as derogatory but watching this and it is not good to watch.

In a slightly simplistic way In the modern world I think it is better a case of united we stand rather than divided we fall. The EU like most things in lode is a package deal (like marriage). Need to take the good with the not so good bits.

I could be well wrong but hard to imagine in the modern economy Britain that would fare better outside the EU. Equally I can’t see how ireland will fare well out of brexit.

Having said all that I wouldn’t be for Britain bashing either we have to respects its decisions whether they make sense to us or not.

Attachments

• 656C3A46-4EDC-4E53-B763-86494CCFD8F7.jpeg
    656C3A46-4EDC-4E53-B763-86494CCFD8F7.jpeg
    143 KB · Views: 39
Back