DIY Calving Camera?

I am getting a problem with moisure on the inside of the lens on my IP camera, left it in the car for a few days, brought it into the house last night to set about streamlining IP addresses, and lens was all fogged up. When house was cooler this morning seemed to be much improved, however its back again now.

The funny thing is opened it up and cleaned it during christmas, no water anywhere near it, stored indoor since, so no water is getting in.

Confused............

Anyone ever seen that before ?
put in a little bag of silicon inside the camera housing - try and get a relatively fresh bag - often in shoe boxes - electronic goods boxes etc.

I used to have bother with the screen getting damp on the diet feeder,it had a large bag of silica gel in the housing,id fetch the bag inside and put it in the warming oven for the night,usually sorted it till drier weather.

We ended up buying the camera linked above over the weekend after seeing a demo of it working in a neighbour's shed.
€100 for the camera.
€15 for an extension lead to bring it out from the shed socket.
€10 for a waterproof box which will hold the modem and the plugs on top of one of the H irons in the shed.

The prepaid modem is likely to come in somewhere around €40 and it will be €20 per month for the 5 months that we will use it.

€175 in total plus a few cable ties and a mount for the camera. (Maybe €190 all in).

There's a lad on DD selling a full DIY calving kit with the same camera and a 3 modem for €440.

The trick might be in me getting what i bought to work.
I'm looking a getting a similar set up for calving.. Is 5 x zoom enough on your camera? or would it be better to pay a bit more and get 10 or 18?

I'm looking a getting a similar set up for calving.. Is 5 x zoom enough on your camera? or would it be better to pay a bit more and get 10 or 18?
5x is enough for calving. I can read tags with it. I see that the basic sricam 5x camera with no memory card slot can now be bought for 40 euro off eBay. I have just bought one for to put a second one in a shed.

5x is enough for calving. I can read tags with it. I see that the basic sricam 5x camera with no memory card slot can now be bought for 40 euro off eBay. I have just bought one for to put a second one in a shed.

Hi Mucky

Is all you need to set up one of those cameras is an old phone to tether the Internet connect to keep beside the camera and a 3 pin socket to power it?

My building is some 100-120 metres away from our house with broadband router connection point. If I bought one of these Sricam cameras, am I right in thinking I'd need to install two nanostations or something like this to form a wifi bridge link between shed and house to receive a satisfactory connection?

Last edited:
I've now got my sricam sp008 camera and am very pleased with it and have registered and downloaded the app. It works well in our house when wired directly to the broadband router, but sadly won't connect via wifi. I guess this is because our home broadband signal is just too weak.

I'm now looking at mobile 4g wifi and it seems o2 have the best coverage in our area. If I go with a o2 4g data plan and get a Huawei hotspot device or the like, will this then allow me to view with my phone from anywhere? Can I just put a data sim in a old mobile phone placed near the camera and run on it's hotspot even??.. I'm on ee with my own mobile. Also it's hard to know how much data I'll need when deciding which plan to go with. Have you an idea on camera data usage @muckymanor ? Anyone?... Thanks.

I've now got my sricam sp008 camera and am very pleased with it and have registered and downloaded the app. It works well in our house when wired directly to the broadband router, but sadly won't connect via wifi. I guess this is because our home broadband signal is just too weak.

I'm now looking at mobile 4g wifi and it seems o2 have the best coverage in our area. If I go with a o2 4g data plan and get a Huawei hotspot device or the like, will this then allow me to view with my phone from anywhere? Can I just put a data sim in a old mobile phone placed near the camera and run on it's hotspot even??.. I'm on ee with my own mobile. Also it's hard to know how much data I'll need when deciding which plan to go with. Have you an idea on camera data usage @muckymanor ? Anyone?... Thanks.

Is it a password issue regarding connection via wi-fi?

Mine pics up wi-fi better than my phone.

Is it a password issue regarding connection via wi-fi?

Mine pics up wi-fi better than my phone.
Yes it was a password issue, have now managed to get it working with wifi on the home broadband in our house. The signal isn't that strong though and there's some lag so I think rather than buying the bridge links mentioned earlier, I'd perhaps be better paying for some o2 sim data that has better 4g here than the ee / bt set up I'm on with home broadband ?

I've 2 working off the broadband at home. One connecting directly and one I'm managing with a cheap wifi repeater half way between the router and shed. It's not perfect but working for the short term. I have a tplink cpe 210 that I haven't set up yet. I expect that to be better.
I also have a camera I'm going setting up about a mile away.
I have tried it out using my mobile phone hotspt and it works perfectly, if I position the phone right I get full 4g coverage.
I have a Huawei portable hotspot/mifi just arrived to run that camera now.
I don't know about data yet.
That's my experience so far, only getting into it but happy how they are going. Plenty on here with more knowledge than me but hopefully that helps.

Yes it was a password issue, have now managed to get it working with wifi on the home broadband in our house. The signal isn't that strong though and there's some lag so I think rather than buying the bridge links mentioned earlier, I'd perhaps be better paying for some o2 sim data that has better 4g here than the ee / bt set up I'm on with home broadband ?

I reckon you'll soon get fed up of paying for data.

I left my phone looking at my camera the other day by accident,went down the field and next thing I knew I'd got a text saying I was out of data.:curse:

I like having a bridge as it gives me wi-fi around the yard.

I reckon you'll soon get fed up of paying for data.

I left my phone looking at my camera the other day by accident,went down the field and next thing I knew I'd got a text saying I was out of data.:curse:

I like having a bridge as it gives me wi-fi around the yard.
You may well be right there... Had a word with o2 yesterday, they offered me a sim with 3gig of 4g data along with a modem device to situate near the camera for £10.50 per month. He said I can always increase the amount of data but not decrease. Anyway as I've now got the password right and up and running on wifi in the house here, I think I'm going to have a go with the wifi bridge first and see how it goes.

You may well be right there... Had a word with o2 yesterday, they offered me a sim with 3gig of 4g data along with a modem device to situate near the camera for £10.50 per month. He said I can always increase the amount of data but not decrease. Anyway as I've now got the password right and up and running on wifi in the house here, I think I'm going to have a go with the wifi bridge first and see how it goes.
How far from your house is the camera? If it’s in line of site just set up a bridge with two nano stations and hard wire to camera or put a cheap router in shed where cam is

How are you viewing via the tv?
Back to a nvr (network video recorder) , another way sometimes is , I keep the nvr in the shed in a water proof box and plug it into the house network, you can then get a cheap android box and put a app on it and plug it in to tv , always a way around , as long as good broadband

Back to a nvr (network video recorder) , another way sometimes is , I keep the nvr in the shed in a water proof box and plug it into the house network, you can then get a cheap android box and put a app on it and plug it in to tv , always a way around , as long as good broadband

I've an android box on one tv and it works well,I was thinking you were using a adapter of some sort.

Back