Limestone cowboys picture thread.

Limestone Cowboy

Few pics over the course of the year.

Bundle of weanling heifers a few weeks ago I have picked for replacements.IMG_20181126_201403_978.jpg
Some of the cows being put to the winterage a few weeks ago.20181120_111358.jpg
Breaking in the new toyIMG_20181102_165311_139.jpg
Young charolais bull I bought last spring. IMG_20180701_215800_949.jpg
The year and half replacement heifers back when we had the drought.IMG_20180721_135548_824.jpg
All ready for the local tractor run last January.IMG_20180113_222726_705.jpg

Few pics over the course of the year.

Bundle of weanling heifers a few weeks ago I have picked for replacements.View attachment 61062
Some of the cows being put to the winterage a few weeks ago.View attachment 61063
Breaking in the new toyView attachment 61064
Young charolais bull I bought last spring. View attachment 61069
The year and half replacement heifers back when we had the drought.View attachment 61071
All ready for the local tractor run last January.View attachment 61072
Smashing stock. What's the breeding behind the bull?

Smashing stock. What's the breeding behind the bull?
Sound, he's by carrickbrack hutch 96 (ckh) and a couple of generations of home breeding on the cows side going back to Jupiter I think. He won't be overly big but plenty of shape. Let him off with a bundle of scopey lim cows so hoping he'll cross well with them and won't be too hard calving. Had been running two lim bulls up to this year but hard to beat the charolais the day your selling. Here's a picture from the top.IMG_20180426_145714_162.jpg

Are most of your stock outwintered on the Burren Limestone Cowboy?

Lovely stock there especially your replacement heifers. :Thumbp2:

Ya everything's out for the winter getting a good dose of hardship :rolleyes2:
Its the right place for them, brilliant job, low cost, healthy and hardy stock. We outwinter light stock but Don't have the ground to do it with cows. Would you find charlaois and limousine equally at home outside for the winter?

Its the right place for them, brilliant job, low cost, healthy and hardy stock. We outwinter light stock but Don't have the ground to do it with cows. Would you find charlaois and limousine equally at home outside for the winter?
Much of a muchness really. The really fine muscley ones don't suit though so try to stay away from keeping them as replacements. I've mostly red lim cows at this stage and a handful of chx cows I would have bought as weanlings. Just find it hard to be sure of milk with the chx heifers.

You are piling the nuts into them, how many kgs/hd
index.php

Would you ever get any trouble with lameness from them getting hurt on a stone?.
Lameness is 90% to do with feed and disease and very little to do with physical injuries. Out wintering cattle should be encouraged as they are a lot healthier and less need of antibiotics. With all the space those cattle have they are going to be walking slowly and not injure themselves.
Do you have Orchids or rare flowers as a result of the out wintering. Are you involved in the Burren Life project or what do you think of it.

No shed could compare to that.
Are you giving them any fodder or meal.
Not yet but will be giving the 2-3kgs meal from next week on now.

Would you ever get any trouble with lameness from them getting hurt on a stone?.
Not really, would have a few that would get a drop over the course of the year alright but wouldn't be much of a problem.

Lameness is 90% to do with feed and disease and very little to do with physical injuries. Out wintering cattle should be encouraged as they are a lot healthier and less need of antibiotics. With all the space those cattle have they are going to be walking slowly and not injure themselves.
Do you have Orchids or rare flowers as a result of the out wintering. Are you involved in the Burren Life project or what do you think of it.
Ya the place would be full of orchids in late spring and early summer. I'm in the burren life alright. It's a good scheme in fairness. Every farm has a plan specifically tailored to that farm and you chose whatever work you want to do through it. You'll get out of it what you put into it like but it has made a big difference to the burren over a few years.

is the Burren a commonage?
There's a few commanages in the burren alright but the vast majority of land is privately owned.

Back