What are you up to in the workshop?

Had you much to do with it SMID to get it to that condition?

For the hours it's a lovely looking tractor :Thumbp2:
No it is in reasonably good nick anyway nash the red would be polished a couple of times a year rubbed 90% of the black down sand blasted the steps . The week before it went into the workshop the centre bearing in the propshaft collapsed just overhauled the whole thing while it was off then when we were putting it back together discovered a bottom swivel bearing in a front hub gone , oh and a new seat suspension , thats it for an other 8,000 hrs :laugh:

Yes its doable, quite pricey by the time its all done that's the only thing but very smooth to use. What have you now a joystick and two individual levers?

Just window shopping for now! Have it all on a joystick. There's a far larger selection of construction spec 531-70s with the levers than joysticks, and a good bit cheaper too. The levers can be swapped to leave the lift and tilt on the one lever but it would still be a pain using the shear grab.

The Smyth trials trailer only did two days work and I’m already cutting it up :lol:

They didn’t want to hinge the extension in case someone hit it.

I wanted hinges so it has them now.

Next job is to move the catwalk that was made for the side up to the front as nobody would bring it on the road with the 2ft catwalk hanging on the side!

5AD060AC-FF54-4E44-A4F0-7B8BDB0F0320.jpeg 7087E369-535A-44BC-A9B4-D2DC39C094E8.jpeg D34A2B98-1F5C-4FF2-B7CB-498EAB9F5ED4.jpeg 43D79AC8-A5DD-4591-8E4A-A4F682C5D8DB.jpeg FC2D1D2F-4D31-449A-94B7-0BFEC144B51D.jpeg 8AD41D6B-7F8B-4A8A-B2D3-674705121644.jpeg 20F2A0A3-6569-4F9B-BBD2-2B0033AA3E59.jpeg

good job, i'd be putting at least two more hinges on it, but more likely 4.

In theory, it should be stronger this way than when it left the factory (3 points instead of 2). It has a flange on the inside which means it’s well supported.

The Smyth trials trailer only did two days work and I’m already cutting it up :lol:

They didn’t want to hinge the extension in case someone hit it.

I wanted hinges so it has them now.

]
I'm mildly amused that they would not build what you wanted so you had to diy..

I'm mildly amused that they would not build what you wanted so you had to diy..

I hear you.

It was one of the other lads who ordered it. I’d be happier if they did the hinges too!

That said, I’m impressed with the build quality now that I’ve been more up close and personal. Ends of box iron closed off. Well painted etc.

The quad trailer here enjoys eating bearings. A combination of having a hard life from over loading, rough tracks and a serious amount of muck. Not to mention it's twin axle so gets a lot of pressure from skewing.

Anyhoo. The hubs have grease nipples which are impossible to grease without removing the wheels.

Is there anything wrong with replacing them with big 90degree angled ones and just hacking a bit of the rim to accomidate?

Not a road going trailer btw.

Catwalk added today for taking maize samples during harvesting.

It had been twice this length and demountable from the right hand side of the trailer. Held on now with four bolts.
Some green spray and plastic end caps to take the raw look off it.
The ladder was the original trailer ladder. Now cut shorter and hinged to keep it out of the way when not needed.
Might add a hand rail to help climbing the ladder.

4E70F996-55FA-40FB-8AA0-B06C1F6E174B.jpeg D3425EC0-9283-4A13-86CF-39E15604CCE9.jpeg 0242D602-0BAB-416E-896B-EFA6547A275A.jpeg 276D6297-841C-40C0-B9D7-656F6204791C.jpeg

Why the hell would they make a cat walk for the side!?
Or was it ordered that way for a reason?

Why the hell would they make a cat walk for the side!?
Or was it ordered that way for a reason?

Yes, ordered to facilitate taking samples when harvesting maize trial plots. I was hoping to make it folding but they made it solid.

Reactions: AYF
Child minding today so thought I’d do this.

Battery in wife’s iPhone was goosed (wouldn’t hold charge) so bought replacement online.

Trickier than a standard phone as it’s internal. Followed the instructions and it went fine.
Only €24.50 all in for the battery and kit. Tiniest screws I’ve ever worked on.

56B09281-0681-4C60-AA97-E200DFFF2CFC.jpeg 2C2D62D1-7A7C-409F-8ECA-91157F86E053.jpeg

Child minding today so thought I’d do this.

Battery in wife’s iPhone was goosed (wouldn’t hold charge) so bought replacement online.

Trickier than a standard phone as it’s internal. Followed the instructions and it went fine.
Only €24.50 all in for the battery and kit. Tiniest screws I’ve ever worked on.

View attachment 62548 View attachment 62549
I’m not sure why but read that as it went on fire rather than it went fine :lol:

They are godly bugger to work on but the battery isn’t too bad atleast. It’s when you go to do the screen and have to strip half the phone it gets frustrating

Got a letter saying the electricity is going off for a day in Feb. Do decided to get the generator sorted. Had been stood on a pallet in the workshop the best part of 2 years waiting for a stand. Used to be fixed in place at my uncles before he quit darying.

Decision was made to re cycle some old 80×40mm feed barrier we had laying about and bodge a steel pallet for it. Shift it about with the pallet forks. Could be converted to 3pl down the line. But it's more a backup than anything else so was the easiest option.

Screenshot_20190123-194951.png

Not the prettiest duckling but will serve a purpose! Plus any old PTO shaft can be used in this configuration vs needing a certain length for a 3pl one.

The big question.

What's the best option for earthing?

Would just a cable from the earth point to the pallet be enough?

Or should I look for a copper rod?

Have an old jump-leed set that should be more than thick enough for the job.

Got a letter saying the electricity is going off for a day in Feb. Do decided to get the generator sorted. Had been stood on a pallet in the workshop the best part of 2 years waiting for a stand. Used to be fixed in place at my uncles before he quit darying.

Decision was made to re cycle some old 80×40mm feed barrier we had laying about and bodge a steel pallet for it. Shift it about with the pallet forks. Could be converted to 3pl down the line. But it's more a backup than anything else so was the easiest option.

View attachment 62551

Not the prettiest duckling but will serve a purpose! Plus any old PTO shaft can be used in this configuration vs needing a certain length for a 3pl one.

The big question.

What's the best option for earthing?

Would just a cable from the earth point to the pallet be enough?

Or should I look for a copper rod?

Have an old jump-leed set that should be more than thick enough for the job.

My ex army genny came with a 18" angle iron for earthing it,seen lots with the same.

Reactions: AYF
Back