Fertilizer spreaders

Zax would be what i use more basic machine zam would be fancier spec i`d say . Now what i will say is it can be a bitch to set up but once youve a few ton through it each year you`ll have the settings good enough for grass land work . Local tillage lad always had amazone and changed to bogballe few yrs back . Kept the bogballe 3yrs and went back to amazone . Could`nt get on with the bogballe at all . Just didnt like it .
Your asking me a tough one there. Would zax or zam sound right?.

Always found the Zam a perfectly good spreader. Current one is 2007 and was due for change this year but might go one more. Previous one was 1996 and had no bother with it. Before that was a Zaf but that was limited to 15m and 1 ton.
Apparently there are 3 different specs at entry level in the zam model so maybe some peoples problems with them are due to incorrect buying decisions. Or maybe not l dunno.

Zax would be what i use more basic machine zam would be fancier spec i`d say . Now what i will say is it can be a bitch to set up but once youve a few ton through it each year you`ll have the settings good enough for grass land work . Local tillage lad always had amazone and changed to bogballe few yrs back . Kept the bogballe 3yrs and went back to amazone . Could`nt get on with the bogballe at all . Just didnt like it .
Usually it happens the other way, lads move to an Amazone and then move back to what they had, I always thought the Amazone was a bad shape for washing out, too many hidden angles and corners, Vicon here in the early days and it's been 2 Rauch since, both bought S/H and only changed for more capacity, the only thing I have against the present one is it holds a small bit of fertilizer at the end so never empties out fully, not a problem until the last fill of the day.

Amazone ZAM here. Very easy to calibrate, get setting off app, do a drop test if you want very accurate application rate, adjust setting based on calibration disc supplied and always kept in toolbox in cab. Spread pattern adjusted by moving vanes on the discs, again the app will tell you where to set them, or if you just use the generic settings in the book spread pattern will be acceptable. Only issues i’ve had have been due to my mistakes, or occasionally I have seen vane settings in the app which are wrong

My old Abbey wagtail has finally had it after 22 years,that Vicon I linked to previously just caught my eye because the price seemed keen enough with anything else in a one ton capacity with cover costing in or around €6k,expensive for what they are imo.
Spreading a lot of high ground so anything with a split hopper isn’t ideal.
New Abbey wagtail is €2600 cover adds another €1k.
Cosmo is some bit cheaper again.

My old Abbey wagtail has finally had it after 22 years,that Vicon I linked to previously just caught my eye because the price seemed keen enough with anything else in a one ton capacity with cover costing in or around €6k,expensive for what they are imo.

Delaney s, who had that ad up , had a new Vicon wagtail , which would hold something like 24 cwt , using an extension , for €4200 , this time last year.
A man locally bought one of them , trading an 8 yr old similar enough model . He does a huge amount of contract spreading for farmers with it. Uses a 5612 MF. @diesel power Would know who I mean.

A mechanic once told me that an Abbey/Cosmo will do x acres before needing a set of bearings. When it needs the 2nd set , it will be worn out.
A Vicon will do 2x or maybe 3x before needing bearings , and no wear on shafts then.
All depends on whether the operator wears out a grease gun , or not .:rolleyes2::weld:

Amazone ZAM here. Very easy to calibrate, get setting off app, do a drop test if you want very accurate application rate, adjust setting based on calibration disc supplied and always kept in toolbox in cab. Spread pattern adjusted by moving vanes on the discs, again the app will tell you where to set them, or if you just use the generic settings in the book spread pattern will be acceptable. Only issues i’ve had have been due to my mistakes, or occasionally I have seen vane settings in the app which are wrong
Only issue l had was those silly plastic nuts on the vanes. The threads wear if your changing settings a lot and then they can start moving about on their own with obvious bad consequences.
Changed mine to stainless steel nuts after learning that lesson.

Delaney s, who had that ad up , had a new Vicon wagtail , which would hold something like 24 cwt , using an extension , for €4200 , this time last year.
A man locally bought one of them , trading an 8 yr old similar enough model . He does a huge amount of contract spreading for farmers with it. Uses a 5612 MF. @diesel power Would know who I mean.

A mechanic once told me that an Abbey/Cosmo will do x acres before needing a set of bearings. When it needs the 2nd set , it will be worn out.
A Vicon will do 2x or maybe 3x before needing bearings , and no wear on shafts then.
All depends on whether the operator wears out a grease gun , or not .:rolleyes2::weld:
That mechanic is spot on in what he says,the first set of bearings must have lasted ten years or more in mine ,after that it needed a set or more every year.
Housings are well worn in it now.

Only issue l had was those silly plastic nuts on the vanes. The threads wear if your changing settings a lot and then they can start moving about on their own with obvious bad consequences.
Changed mine to stainless steel nuts after learning that lesson.
Nuts on mine are stainless from day one, 2013 machine I think

Only had 3 spreaders here over the past 50 yrs .first was a amazone .great machine lasted as the frontline machine until the late 80s.nxt up was a bredal that lasted until 5 yrs ago running a rauch 3t weight cell machine now .all were good machines .our old amazone is in the showroom at farmhand. Don't like the new amazones brother in law has one and has a love hatell relationship with it.happy out with the rauch here but having acculator trouble

20190122_141042.jpg A sulky here for the last 3 years. Im happy with it . Had a 20 year old half ton amazone before that which had gone rotten at the bottom but she didnt owe us a penny. Needed a bigger hopper and the sulky came in cheaper than a new amazone. Was out spreading urea today .

View attachment 62529 A sulky here for the last 3 years. Im happy with it . Had a 20 year old half ton amazone before that which had gone rotten at the bottom but she didnt owe us a penny. Needed a bigger hopper and the sulky came in cheaper than a new amazone. Was out spreading urea today .
Same machine here, couldnt fault it but not overworked. Was worried when no-one was mentioning the grand in the discussion

Is that for the 1.25t Cosmo with hydraulic shutoff? I think we gave €2600 for ours two years ago now. The Abbey has a horrendous cover in my book, it looks like a dust bin cover :laugh:, there was some crowd doing covers for around €300 ?? On Donedeal a few weeks back.

The new Vicon when we enquired was around 3800 of similar spec.

:sweat::cry: when the previous Vicon blew up, we were told it was the best greased spreader that was seen. Always grease post spreading here.

Having fert left in one side isn't just down to settings,I've a fair few fields that slope and cause this.

Ya there's a "slight slope" on a couple of fields here. Even On level going the Amazone would spread one side faster than the other. Even when both sides set the same.

A plate and flicker machine . A hitch was put on it and my father pulled it with a van . The Horse was sold in the fair in Castledermot and he went down to Hennessy’s garage bought the van and drove it home.
The excitement did not end there because an operative was needed to sit on the spreader to engage and disengage the drive . Not many people know that a van is slightly faster than a Horse and the G force turning at the headland exceeded the strength of the home made drawbar resulting in the spreader and operative parting company and heading into the ditch . It was there when I was walking to school.
065F5A0B-6B77-4D10-955D-AF1E374AAD26.png
A single disc Lister .
7E3405DC-CAAB-432D-AD03-0CBC548A0070.jpeg
We then had a 12 CWT Vicon for a few years before buying a 3 tonne Vicon in 1978 which was replaced by a 3 tonne Weigh Cell Bogballe in 1999 until We got the M2 Bogballe in 2012 .
Only had 3 spreaders here over the past 50 yrs .first was a amazone .great machine lasted as the frontline machine until the late 80s.nxt up was a bredal that lasted until 5 yrs ago running a rauch 3t weight cell machine now .all were good machines .our old amazone is in the showroom at farmhand. Don't like the new amazones brother in law has one and has a love hatell relationship with it.happy out with the rauch here but having acculator trouble

Is that for the 1.25t Cosmo with hydraulic shutoff? I think we gave €2600 for ours two years ago now. The Abbey has a horrendous cover in my book, it looks like a dust bin cover :laugh:, there was some crowd doing covers for around €300 ?? .
I think it was a ton Cosmo not sure tbh I was only half listening,Clonmel covers were doing about €200 I think.

Have you set the shutters? Close slide with a drill bit of correct diameter in it and then adjust the little black tab so it is reading correct on the adjustment scale. Diameter and corresponding reading on scale are in the manual. Only reason mine empties uneven would be slopes or using one side shut off more than the other

I think it was a ton Cosmo not sure tbh I was only half listening,Clonmel covers were doing about €200 I think.

I'd say that price is without hydraulic shut off so. I'm nearly sure it was €300 more for it.

That's the crowd I couldn't think of their name :sweat:

Neighbour milking a lot of cows and not much interest in machinery is rumored to have never changed the setting on his fertiliser spreader since he collected at the dealers. Just puts more in it when it runs out  :lol::lol::lol:

I love the history of what farms had over the years,fert sowers are one of those things you keep if they're doing well.

My dads were

Single disc lister land drive converted to pto drive

Teagle single disc

Tasker pattinson trailed,held about 1.5t with the extension,only scrapped it last year as I had a job for the axle.

Econ trailed very similar to taskers

Mine..

Amazone zau still have it but parked in the barn

Vicon wagger bought to do grass seed,I sometimes put it on the front and tow the roller behind

Krm Ex-trend bought off Speedstar in 2013

Back