Trailed furrow press

i get the point of the furrow press but wouldn't a cambridge roller do the job (depending on how heavy it is)

i get the point of the furrow press but wouldn't a cambridge roller do the job (depending on how heavy it is)

No a roller will only firm down a little but will not go to any depth. A furrow press will firm and consolidate much deeper down into the ploughed ground getting rid of any air pockets. Now I’m saying that I use a Cambridge roller before sowing and then again after sowing. It has helped a lot giving me firmer seed beds. But would love a furrow press but it’s all money. Money I don’t have

No a roller will only firm down a little but will not go to any depth. A furrow press will firm and consolidate much deeper down into the ploughed ground getting rid of any air pockets. Now I’m saying that I use a Cambridge roller before sowing and then again after sowing. It has helped a lot giving me firmer seed beds. But would love a furrow press but it’s all money. Money I don’t have
money we all dont have. been using the cambridge after the plough. made life more comfortable when we put the spring harrow to it.

I liked using the press too firmed up ploughing but now having roller with paddles I think it would be overkill to run press and roller.

We had a farmforce press similar to the one pictured, bought it from @jd-baz there are pictures of it on here somewhere.
It won’t take big power to pull it, we had up to 200 on it, it was far too much for it, our 6620 pulled it too, 140hp would pull it no bother, it did very nice work.

We had a farmforce press similar to the one pictured, bought it from @jd-baz there are pictures of it on here somewhere.
It won’t take big power to pull it, we had up to 200 on it, it was far too much for it, our 6620 pulled it too, 140hp would pull it no bother, it did very nice work.
Similar to the one I’ve linked from Brocks is it @ithastopay ? I was half thinking of just leaving the TW15 on the press at Autumn time but can put a bigger tractor on it. What kind of press do you think would suit 130-170hp on flat, light land.

Well lads
What kind of a value would yous put on this? Its 4 metre wide

5k Inc VAT :scratchhead:, the fact that it's homemade might count against it.

In saying that it looks like it is built like a tank especially with the paddles.:Thumbp2:

Similar to the one I’ve linked from Brocks is it @ithastopay ? I was half thinking of just leaving the TW15 on the press at Autumn time but can put a bigger tractor on it. What kind of press do you think would suit 130-170hp on flat, light land.
10D1B63B-9007-4703-B60A-C86639BF87D7.jpeg 20CC7C39-32C4-4B7F-AF01-3B58D21A2E11.jpeg
140hp would pull that press, You’d handle a 4m no bother unless you have steep hills, the pull is dependent on how much clay is running in front of the paddles. Personally I’d rather a double press than a single press, leveling paddles are essential and some form of cultivation, depending on soil type.

View attachment 64544 View attachment 64545
140hp would pull that press, You’d handle a 4m no bother unless you have steep hills, the pull is dependent on how much clay is running in front of the paddles. Personally I’d rather a double press than a single press, leveling paddles are essential and some form of cultivation, depending on soil type.
Cheers I remember seeing that picture now of that job you did on the drawbar, more or less all dead flat fields and easy worked soil here so something like that would be ideal to cover ground quick, doesn’t seem too dear considering it looks to be straight.

What press are you going to @TM155?
From seeing over the ditch at your current one, it's doing a fantastic job. A very good buy for somebody. And alot of work gone into making it folding and leveling tines aswell. An excellent tool

What press are you going to @TM155?
From seeing over the ditch at your current one, it's doing a fantastic job. A very good buy for somebody. And alot of work gone into making it folding and leveling tines aswell. An excellent tool
Cousins end toe very like the two near you. Its still on donedeal. From a forum member too

Cheers I remember seeing that picture now of that job you did on the drawbar, more or less all dead flat fields and easy worked soil here so something like that would be ideal to cover ground quick, doesn’t seem too dear considering it looks to be straight.

Just meet a truck carrying a press amongst other things heading down the N52.

View attachment 64544 View attachment 64545

That 7810 is a beauty. Lovely growl off them, built to last.

Back