Spring Barley - General Thread

After having a root around here this evening, seed is slow about getting going. Some sown ten days now. It's going to need a good two weeks anyway.

The last five days of hash breeze has not helped.

After having a root around here this evening, seed is slow about getting going. Some sown ten days now. It's going to need a good two weeks anyway.

I assume it has roots out Nash? Ours put out roots quickly but has slowed down with the frosts and cold nights

Had a look at our yesterday sowed a week on Saturday. Just sprouted md sitting there , if it gets a mild week should see it this day week.

Finished. Even wetter ground that would never be sown before April.

Saw cracks in an oilseed rape field this evening.

One field left, delayed as had to get westerwolds off it first. Hoping to get it sown this week if weather plays ball

Last edited:
I assume it has roots out Nash? Ours put out roots quickly but has slowed down with the frosts and cold nights

Oh it has, I should have said two weeks post sowing. It has the roots out a good inch now even the fields sown last Sunday.

Ground temperatures are much lower than when we were sowing last year but then it was six weeks later!

Like laoisfarmer I'd say by next Saturday it will be visible, all the misses and gaps obviously!

Is everyone finished sowing?

All done, earliest I've been finished my own!!

Glad some of ye have stuff to sow, 40 acres still to go here and some beet also then maize. Most around here finished so I don’t feel as bad and disorganised now

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

It’s in conjunction with JC so should be very near to you.

It’ll be advertised on South East Radio
heard the ad today, its on a friends farm so i,ll head there for a few minutes, it,ll be an impressive line up with a tillage farmer of the year , a future dairy farmer of the year , THE BEST FARMER IN WEXFORD, top class agronomists and CORK will be there too to make the tae

When we sow in mid to late March, once rain comes reasonably soon and/or there is enough moisture in the ground it takes two weeks and two days for emergence here usually. A day earlier and you'd see nothing. Sowed on April 22nd last year and it was up in ten days. Unless there were heavy night frosts I don't think it would have a huge slowing down effect on the seedling pre emergence.

20 acres of my own to sow yet, about 120 for other people but lots of spraying to do too. Going to be a busy week.

heard the ad today, its on a friends farm so i,ll head there for a few minutes, it,ll be an impressive line up with a tillage farmer of the year , a future dairy farmer of the year , THE BEST FARMER IN WEXFORD, top class agronomists and CORK will be there too to make the tae

And I’ll be there to drink the tae too. No doubt there’ll be some fancy lad pull up with a Fiat F series looking for a Latte.

Only 10ac of spring barley left to go in. All ploughed. Should be done this coming week. Then onto the beet. It also is all ploughed and stones picked so ready for the Harrow.

Glad some of ye have stuff to sow, 40 acres still to go here and some beet also then maize. Most around here finished so I don’t feel as bad and disorganised now

No need to be panicing yet anyway. I can distinctly remember this time last year, we had sleety rain and it was two weeks before it really dried up for a good shot of ploughing to be done.

It would be rare for us to be wrapped up by end of March.

I would count it early for beet still and very early for maize so you've plenty of time. Forecast keeps chopping and changing but after Tuesday it looks good for a few days again.

Pulled the last of the beet on Saturday which left the last 5 acres to be ploughed for barley. 37 acres left to plough for maize and beet. 22 acres of barley to sow that will be done today.

Back