The reseeding thread

was late arriving but found the talks interesting and got a free jacket from you as well :woot: its not often corkmen give anything away , hadn,t eaten anything all day as i was sure you,d be feeding us :laugh:

You'll get good wear out of that like the NH overalls :laugh:

Big reseeding or maybe it should be seeding job on here :Whistle2:, presume it's not too early at this stage. Given the state that this was in last September, I'm prepared for it to be done again....

First time of no ploughing here :sweat:
20190413_155720.jpg
20190413_163745.jpg

I haven't read right though this thread but has anyone put turnips through a grass reseed , we've got one on the go just now , we're doing it for a company that's letting the fields out and the ground is contract farmed through a third party . Problem is this field is the first thing you see when you turn down the main drive so it's to be a good job , but the man that's managing the ground (farm manager) is wanting these turnips in long side the grass, claims it's common back home in Ireland but we've never seen it done and not keen on our reseed looking like it's full of weeds

I haven't read right though this thread but has anyone put turnips through a grass reseed , we've got one on the go just now , we're doing it for a company that's letting the fields out and the ground is contract farmed through a third party . Problem is this field is the first thing you see when you turn down the main drive so it's to be a good job , but the man that's managing the ground (farm manager) is wanting these turnips in long side the grass, claims it's common back home in Ireland but we've never seen it done and not keen on our reseed looking like it's full of weeds
I don’t think there is any weed control available to control weeds and not damage the turnips. I’d have taught that turnips would have large leaves and would cause a lot of shelter of the grass and as a result when the turnips are grazed out there will be blank patches all over the field. I’ve never seen or heard of this before and I’ve come across a few odd things on my travels.

I don’t think there is any weed control available to control weeds and not damage the turnips. I’d have taught that turnips would have large leaves and would cause a lot of shelter of the grass and as a result when the turnips are grazed out there will be blank patches all over the field. I’ve never seen or heard of this before and I’ve come across a few odd things on my travels.
Basically that's our thinking to

Never heard of it, I’ve seen a farmer from Northern Ireland sow fodder rape with new grass, the advice being that it would protect the new grass, I wouldn’t be sowing anything else, just the grass.
Maybe he’s mixing up his fodder crops, show him a picture of a nice field of mature turnips and see where he thinks the grass will be growing.

if have included rape when sowing permanent grass and it has many benefits IMV. but your only taking about same rates. Your well insulated by standard thinking, down in the valley @Blackwater boy :lol:, ground is just too good

When the rape and leafy turnip is grazed what happens all the blank patches?
the rape grows pretty upright so the grass is shaded until the rape is grazed/cut, when it takes off. you would be cutting earlier or grazing earlier if rape in the mix. on saying all this, im not advocating a dense stand of rape, rather a fairly sparse affair

Ground good enough for tatties is going to grow a crop of tyfon that will smother young grass ,it used to be a regular occurrence with rape in the sheep places direct reesed at this time of year close to a hanging offence if it wasnt in by the longest day . Its not the first time I,v seen it into the third year before a sow out worth leaving was established .

We have often put grass in with rape.
Now were talking about a very reduced rate of rape (a drinking cup of seed to the acre!!) Well mixed.
Usually works fine. We did purposely put a big rate of rape in a field last year. It did cause blank spots but the grass filled blanks in the rape.... it was short term with a view to re seeding again this year and wanted it to try grazing ewes and lambs on rape.

Back