Anyone using these for covering the silo pit?

only ever use cling film and one black new sheet each year, with secure covers on top then. put gravel around the bases as its the best sealer, dont bother with the gravel bags anymore. Sealing around the sides is the most important.

I would agree 100% with Ozzy . A front bucket of gravel will do a lot of the edge of any heap of silage. Make it on a slab here , 40 ft wide no walls Dorset wedge. Open the front to put the 2nd cut in . Gone to about 120 ft long though to hold it all , but I would be using the face of it in 3 days max. I use 1 new cover, and 3 older ones on it. Lorry tyres against sides, the whole way up, gravel at the bottom and a mixture of car , tractor ANC truck tyres on top. Solid hardship for half a day to cover it , but very little waste. If you can see the sheet blowing on the side, you will have plenty of waste . Didn't use gravel at the bottom one of the wet years as we were wet to the skin by the time we had the sheet on , and had heaps of waste, so never chanced without it since.

I would agree 100% with Ozzy . A front bucket of gravel will do a lot of the edge of any heap of silage. Make it on a slab here , 40 ft wide no walls Dorset wedge. Open the front to put the 2nd cut in . Gone to about 120 ft long though to hold it all , but I would be using the face of it in 3 days max. I use 1 new cover, and 3 older ones on it. Lorry tyres against sides, the whole way up, gravel at the bottom and a mixture of car , tractor ANC truck tyres on top. Solid hardship for half a day to cover it , but very little waste. If you can see the sheet blowing on the side, you will have plenty of waste . Didn't use gravel at the bottom one of the wet years as we were wet to the skin by the time we had the sheet on , and had heaps of waste, so never chanced without it since.

the edge seal is the most important, often use earth around the edges but gravel is cleaner. little waste with a wide face of about 65ft and 11ft in height, big face becomes a problem when the temperatures rise in April. hire a loader for the day and remake the pit along the full length of the slab so reduce the feed face to 35ft during the summer

the edge seal is the most important, often use earth around the edges but gravel is cleaner. little waste with a wide face of about 65ft and 11ft in height, big face becomes a problem when the temperatures rise in April. hire a loader for the day and remake the pit along the full length of the slab so reduce the feed face to 35ft during the summer
Any secondary fermentation doing that??

only ever use cling film and one black new sheet each year, with secure covers on top then. put gravel around the bases as its the best sealer, dont bother with the gravel bags anymore. Sealing around the sides is the most important.

Have heard the cling film mentioned but haven't ever seen it used and we would be in a good few yards. I'd be interested in using it myself next year, currently have a wall at one side that gets a double wall sheet, half gets pulled in then a new cover over the lot then the other half of the wall sheet and 2 old covers on top all weighted with car tyres, open side gets a mix of tractor and truck tyres low down, a line of pallets above this and car tyres the rest of the way, still end up with a bit of waste at the wall side. [MENTION=1408]Ozzy Scott[/MENTION] what sort of sizes does the cling film come in and can it be opened out fully and then rolled back up with the other cover to allow the loader carry up tyres.

Have heard the cling film mentioned but haven't ever seen it used and we would be in a good few yards. I'd be interested in using it myself next year, currently have a wall at one side that gets a double wall sheet, half gets pulled in then a new cover over the lot then the other half of the wall sheet and 2 old covers on top all weighted with car tyres, open side gets a mix of tractor and truck tyres low down, a line of pallets above this and car tyres the rest of the way, still end up with a bit of waste at the wall side. [MENTION=1408]Ozzy Scott[/MENTION] what sort of sizes does the cling film come in and can it be opened out fully and then rolled back up with the other cover to allow the loader carry up tyres.

Weve had it in 16 and 18m widths and 50 m long, think you can get it in narrower widths, we open it out fully then roll up along with the top sheets.

[MENTION=1408]Ozzy Scott[/MENTION] what sort of sizes does the cling film come in and can it be opened out fully and then rolled back up with the other cover to allow the loader carry up tyres.

The stuff I use is in 8m sections and 50m long. put secure covers on the pits here so only the odd tyre here and there. I have never kept the cling for the following year as water seems to get stuck into it. (ie like a plastic shopping bag in a puddle if you get what im saying)

Any secondary fermentation doing that??

any secondary fermentation in the wide pit face, or re-arranging pits/moving pits?

Sorry, should have stated that clearly. In rearranging the pits, I'd presume you'd have some at that.

no, if its done properly there is never a problem. 100% of the waste of the pit being moved obviously has to be discarded first. Shift and re-pit few pits every year that are either bought or have other feed mixed into them

no, if its done properly there is never a problem. 100% of the waste of the pit being moved obviously has to be discarded first. Shift and re-pit few pits every year that are either bought or have other feed mixed into them

Yea I did the same for a farmer for the past two years and he says he never had any issues. Same reason as yours that the pit face is to wide when he is finishing up and only feeding a small few cows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have a new pit to cover and am a bit short on tyres .. local soccer club have a few rolls of astro turf to get rid of .
Anyone ever use it to replace tyres ?

Have a new pit to cover and am a bit short on tyres .. local soccer club have a few rolls of astro turf to get rid of .
Anyone ever use it to replace tyres ?

Heard of it used for roadways alright, especially neart parlor. Supposed tob the business cows fly on it.

May be a better option than the pit..

Would it be heavy enough !!!

Personally , I think that the weight of the material used over the plastic isn't that important .
E.g. if a car tyre keeps the plastic tight , not waving and no air inside , having a super single won't make the silage any better by virtue of its extra weight.

I have no idea of astro turf weight though.

Personally , I think that the weight of the material used over the plastic isn't that important .
E.g. if a car tyre keeps the plastic tight , not waving and no air inside , having a super single won't make the silage any better by virtue of its extra weight.

I have no idea of astro turf weight though.
Heavy enough that the wind won't lift it, I think @Carrigogunnell means, not heavy as to weigh down the silage.

I’ve some rubber mats I acquired and they are fine indoor on a clamp but outside they blow about,they weigh 30kg or so but still move.

Have tyres bolted together to make a mat. 4 by 6 tyres. Bought them from a lad in the North. Very quick to take on and off, very handy as we do 3 cuts.

Back