Factory Prices General thread

That's exactly what they want the take home message to be. There's obviously an agenda for Teagasc to show non-existent margins for every type of beef price. It's the same every year regardless of the price. If they showed lads how to make money they would be very unpopular with the IFA and most farmers as well.
  • Why do they always bring their figures to per hectare, figures for beef farming should always be per head as that is the only thing that makes sense to farmers and the only way to compare like with like.
  • Why only Fresian the only ones they looked at as bulls?
  • Under 16 month bulls get on the grid at the bullock base, makes a big difference to final price/kg compared to over 16 mths.
  • Realistic achievable averages would be 400kg for a 24mth continental bullock, 300kg for a 19mth HE heifer, 300kg for a Fresian bull, they don't seem to get that you need to feed the cattle before the finishing period as well.
  • I would question the value of grazing animals in the finishing period, especially bulls.
Per hectare is comparing like with like , if you had heifers making 50 a head and I had cows making 200 a head who’s better off? Put it per hectare and you know

300kg for a traditional heifer at 19 months is at the top end of the scale and I imagine that a big of that would be coming from the bag,

Supposedly 3 weeks supply in the system, expect another pull as mid January born approach 30 months, ba$7ards,...

I have booked for friday for the last 2 weeks. They have to go as 30 months is catching up on them very soon and I can't risk holding them for another week in case in a week's time, they tell me to wait for 2 more weeks and then they start going overage. Better to get them off the farm now and concentrate on the next bunch.

I have booked for friday for the last 2 weeks. They have to go as 30 months is catching up on them very soon and I can't risk holding them for another week in case in a week's time, they tell me to wait for 2 more weeks and then they start going overage. Better to get them off the farm now and concentrate on the next bunch.

Are you QA?
I wouldn’t pass too much remarks on age, no point going with stock that aren’t ready.
There’re getting meal a good while now they should weigh well even at a poor price, it mightn’t be that bad.

Are you QA?
I wouldn’t pass too much remarks on age, no point going with stock that aren’t ready.
There’re getting meal a good while now they should weigh well even at a poor price, it mightn’t be that bad.
Yea we are qa. They were ~700kg about 4 weeks ago when I put the weight measure on them. Had really only been holding out in the hope of price rise. I'm hopeful that they will be u grade or a fairly high r and that they will kill 380kg+ so should come into near €4/kg. I haven't fed any meal this year so far so it will he interesting to see how they kill out. I think they did well enough. I may have to feed meal for a month to the last bunch to get them in shape for slaughter in October but overall I have been trying to keep costs at a minimum and make the most of grass

Yea we are qa. They were ~700kg about 4 weeks ago when I put the weight measure on them. Had really only been holding out in the hope of price rise. I'm hopeful that they will be u grade or a fairly high r and that they will kill 380kg+ so should come into near €4/kg. I haven't fed any meal this year so far so it will he interesting to see how they kill out. I think they did well enough. I may have to feed meal for a month to the last bunch to get them in shape for slaughter in October but overall I have been trying to keep costs at a minimum and make the most of grass

I would never worry about losing QA at this time of the year when cattle are piling on cheap kilos of meat. if they can take more finish, I wouldnt be in any rush. Its a contrived backlog as most cattle are been called earlier than their booked date.

I would never worry about losing QA at this time of the year when cattle are piling on cheap kilos of meat. if they can take more finish, I wouldnt be in any rush. Its a contrived backlog as most cattle are been called earlier than their booked date.

Yes and some only killing 3 or 4 days to help back up supply.

Got 3.70 for R bulls over 16mths, but only slightly. A whole 10c more for U. Grid price is the 3.70 plus 12 QA but only if they are 2+ or better. Feck all diff between a 2= and a 2+ to look at them. €40 a head in the pocket though.

€3.80/kg better than you expected
How were the fat scores?

Yea. €3.80. It took a bit of bargaining going in the gate as he was talking €3.75 for this morning, but I got there in the end.

I'm not totally up to scratch on fat scores. I had 4 scored 2+ and 2 that scored 3. I don't know where that is in the general run but I got my cheque going home so I was happy. The lairage was full of cows this morning at 8am. Mine were the only bullocks. I don't know what came in later in the morning but I was surprised to see so many cows at this time of year especially after the big cull last year

Yea. €3.80. It took a bit of bargaining going in the gate as he was talking €3.75 for this morning, but I got there in the end.

I'm not totally up to scratch on fat scores. I had 4 scored 2+ and 2 that scored 3. I don't know where that is in the general run but I got my cheque going home so I was happy. The lairage was full of cows this morning at 8am. Mine were the only bullocks. I don't know what came in later in the morning but I was surprised to see so many cows at this time of year especially after the big cull last year
Did you say they got no meal? It would be tricky to get the fat on them off grass alone if so. Though a local finisher said he has been getting good scores last few weeks off grass

Did you say they got no meal? It would be tricky to get the fat on them off grass alone if so. Though a local finisher said he has been getting good scores last few weeks off grass
Yes. They were finished off grass. The fact that they were simmentals wouldn't help them on the fat front. I have a similar bunch of Shorthorn bullocks for the end of summer and the biggest issue with them will be the danger of being too fat.

Yes. They were finished off grass. The fact that they were simmentals wouldn't help them on the fat front. I have a similar bunch of Shorthorn bullocks for the end of summer and the biggest issue with them will be the danger of being too fat.
Any recent photos of the ones that were killed if you have any Mucky?

Cattle will finished the finest off grass alone, majority of my animals for the summer months killed will get no grain, why would you bother as you only making work and often reducing there thrive

Any recent photos of the ones that were killed if you have any Mucky?

Taken at the beginning of May. This lad was a Simmental off a CH cow. She was a poor milker and this time last year he was a small weanling, but he just took off in the back end. He was 23 months old and killed out €375kg and a U-.

bLoUuPm0eyoO3ZhRjirl35ItciQ-S4oKDKcTG4ZmMaBN8uoY6TrTfNSo3IbGhuCt-ligWJl2MHHnZPzPIJOvWN3MeN0Qhv7gsj9wrcDjxhLDGTzS9BRz_gdOJrbm38O08G1_19eqDHG7ZoQxGakgKBt_1IG97qcHHUtFh2WjwsK8tt9RdMrrfw9qNVcxL1i06L6FbSep3nrnZvcju9Zx1cnUMAGiRrmH0jSEXLbpD8yMqMaYe7LQI8d6QcGboEUIWzxlICCol3Qx3D8qUWzyhDRJAsDDE6PnR7ZPRXzkaWHilV-pxxbnPF9mlSHCvdLqADhieF0VzHfW0YCuHO-WdOMSK9R9JdbvkMmR9xpJVQBMStqU-p0pXlhHqr96PfSiLgU6zkSpBI6jhoo6v239S8oYmlBb-oFMzVfiM6ULGKCuV2wI9MvxJ4CBU8_GJvggLknkLvyXsuLMV0Z43q-c0oV-u5G8yXj-GFxDpORFJgeKpzvsFV3cL8_u9fc6m4ASqIhAQoImlfowMf2YBgokTHyajEPmP4IjWMh1r83GHPEePSAoamlEbwiXZ5LZMNCdvgx4fUDKl4aF7ntMcRgDeabvADJiAP3dZ6D8LYwxLyU4Eis_1XSUpE8qPWu5IMZH8PfvmUgvuYQJL3377D2RK35dcVD6O1I=w1047-h785-no

Taken in May as well. This lad with his arse to you was just a week under 30 months. He had hurt his back rising on cows when he was just a 6 month old calf and he was always a slow walker - so never suitable for the mart. I sold his comrades in the mart last october and averaged €1220 for them. He killed out at 405kg and a U=. His mother is in the picture too - I plan to slaughter her along with 2 more in the next week or 2.

I know that people are going to say "look, they are getting meal in the picture". Truth is that they got half a bucket of meal once or twice a week to get them to come to the gate and leave them easy to handle. Everything that we own gets a pinch of meal twice a week which leaves them much easier to handle.

8ana4ydfTAf-smBhlsqc7xUDUKZ6Zl8h1RIN9qrWdO1I-NvJMPWvkJ_5qRxP8BMb81HGgTfr1giDupkg1YcFYgF8lsG2H1vEVS6tFKQP2G6orKAFNRveEOnkkfxU5meOUezySCNcTNaxKCjffYluo-Rh730LI-2MkH8Usm_VSh4DHVKLKjIvNpJHqn8fp2DHLzuoQs9AVDaZD3O51gic43zcr4nXRPhUk1xgFqqKf0MSLRnW280oVvYJNoFD0Lvi2GXIsrhUYrYhp2qvrsKLYN-gTpjMPN2Yf9E9Eq3RzjNMz8CVTdldrgWSY-XYNGDms5JLaaAeNTqouO9ukZmxwQtVrUg7hPnSdG4tPjLtZ1jKUzaOGKEpCYjSTVhbJDpp1nTO56BUfP2u7K4VZf1Jg4d3S5qpmx1zS0sBeQeUJodJCE1h4etD_GRCyOcIA4_Ov8UiV7psIK1n7YeReKyVT2EJelPNGlUSRhd4AvrDWx35WkIFdTPBGoeWjfcerm9bxAWKIkxxXiSUx4hGeh6mmTFZaleK5pg4Q2dobKVzE-H2CPOWYCdqJ4lLrz-orLeJP_vizrDMiXDGJ0TNBAojhoT4gBVgAYgCfR8qBRagFsEJrfTi_eu-mtNy73Y5OGtfkswgUv0bTF18rQ8QYt91JrcNpRtzk10=w1047-h785-no

A quick question about cow prices. Factory is quoting €3.00 and €3.50. I understand that these are for O's and R's. Does this mean that if you have a U grade cow, then you will only get €3.50/kg tops??
I have a full bred limousin cow that I expect will make a U. I can't get the Limousin bonus on her in Ashbourn Meats as I don't have a pedigree cert for her.

A quick question about cow prices. Factory is quoting €3.00 and €3.50. I understand that these are for O's and R's. Does this mean that if you have a U grade cow, then you will only get €3.50/kg tops??
I have a full bred limousin cow that I expect will make a U. I can't get the Limousin bonus on her in Ashbourn Meats as I don't have a pedigree cert for her.

Best talk to an agent, there wouldn't be too many cows grading U!

By the way, the photos in your previous post seem to have disappeared :scratchhead::confused3:

Back again next week I think.

Is the beef industry bollox ed

Back next week anyway I've heard before tonight's news.

Rip.ie in three years time.

Death has occured of the Irish beef industry after a long illness. Sadly missed by the thousands of farmers involved in and processing staff employed by it and many rural communities depending on it.

Funeral arrangements later, house private

Donations if desired to Big Phil's pension pot and other European negotiatiors.

Back next week anyway I've heard before tonight's news.

Rip.ie in three years time.

Death has occured of the Irish beef industry after a long illness. Sadly missed by the thousands of farmers involved in and processing staff employed by it and many rural communities depending on it.

Funeral arrangements later, house private

Donations if desired to Big Phil's pension pot and other European negotiatiors.

Another 5 cents this week. A lad told me that they have 350 in mind for later in the year. Unless it's all a bluff.

Back