Dairy farming

Who is that for fiat 450 tim is it ??
No you lad. Does the milk lorry come at a awkward time?? A hr earlier in the morning is worth over two for you in the evening. At the moment here dad likes to milk in the morning as come the evening he be getting tired. He goes for the cows and I the the machine ready and have the 1st row on for him. He belts away then. We do our own fert, slurry, mowing, spraying and ploughing. This time of year be fert or mowing and slurry during winter straight into feeding. I don't eat when I get up but will go in at 9.30 for something. Back in at 1 for dinner and get the f out of the place by 6.30. if the pressure was on I will go back out but usually not.

Yes carrig its beyond sickning to be honest .
96 cows 12 units .no hobbies because as you can see i have no time for them ! Yes if i was my friend i would deffinately think i was insane . Well MF 30 that was 3 days last week and 3 this week the topping, but it has to be done .
You see the old falla here is a pure slave he just never stops and expects me to do the same , even when cows are finish at that time he will go off at something else until 10 even half past some nights .
How is it taking two and a half hours with two of you in the parlour to milk 96 cows,that’s only eight rows.
You should be milked in an hour apart from washing..
This reminds me of a local man who milked 12 or 15 cows years ago through an abreast parlour,he wouldn’t be too early in the morning but when the cows were in and the clusters on first three or four he’d sit into the car and go to the village for the paper and the butcher for meat for the dinner.

How is it taking two and a half hours with two of you in the parlour to milk 96 cows,that’s only eight rows.
You should be milked in an hour apart from washing..
This reminds me of a local man who milked 12 or 15 cows years ago through an abreast parlour,he wouldn’t be too early in the morning but when the cows were in and the clusters on first three or four he’d sit into the car and go to the village for the paper and the butcher for meat for the dinner.

My dad would bugger off to church during milking,many a time he’d leave the cows in the collecting yard and stop the machine.:rolleyes2:

Some people have an inbuilt ability to see what needs doing and are able to question why they are doing a particular job,basically to better themselves or performance.

Everyone is different it makes the world go round!:yes:

H
My dad would bugger off to church during milking,many a time he’d leave the cows in the collecting yard and stop the machine.:rolleyes2:

Some people have an inbuilt ability to see what needs doing and are able to question why they are doing a particular job,basically to better themselves or performance.

Everyone is different it makes the world go round!:yes:
Hard to beat a good mass doh...

@podge 23 was thinking about your situation. It's going to be hard change the ould man ways. What if you were to change your way and not follow the ould man ways?? Why don't you have the cows in the parlour for 7 and milk yourself. You don't need two in a pit this time of year. Let your dad come on the scene when he wants to in the morning. Have the cows back in for half four then and leave the yard for 6 or half past. I tell you from experience he will change when he sees it's easier this way. As regards topping you should only top 2 maybe 3 times a year not every time. Not sure if you only have 1 tractor but maybe get a second hand one and maybe have the spinner on one and topper on the other? Saves time hitching and unhitching and allows both of you to be at jobs. I think you have a little one on the way? Take it from me you won't last going the way you are going now. Change now. But definitely take over the milking end of things as you are kinda all over the place, it's the most important job of the day. the rest will fall into place then

I know nothing about milking cows but I do know if you don't start early your day will drag out well into the night.
At least when you start early you have the ability to deal with any time consuming jobs or things going wrong.
Liken it to contractors everyone knows one who makes no shape until 1 or 2 in the day is out all night and gets nothing done.

I am a beef farming robot, I do the work but get nothing for it....:whistle:
My Mrs changed farm insurance recently. The rep was out and asked about labour units and contacted in labour. My Mrs replied that it was just 1 labour unit and no outside labour and I butted in to say "what about the slave?" (ie. Me). The rep said that they don't cover slave labour.

Let them acrs be the excuse to never having 2 lads in the parlour anymore.

When I left school we had a 14/14 with no acrs,my dad insisted it was a 2 man parlour ,also had a very poor Mercury switch set up receiver jar,this meant you had watch as you took machines off so not to run the jars over.

When I bought my dad out I built a 12/24 without jars and fitted acrs and a 300litre receiver vessel, it was a great one man parlour.

My Mrs changed farm insurance recently. The rep was out and asked about labour units and contacted in labour. My Mrs replied that it was just 1 labour unit and no outside labour and I butted in to say "what about the slave?" (ie. Me). The rep said that they don't cover slave labour.
Was at an awards doo last night. Mate of mine spotted his bank manager. "What are you doing here, you should be milking my cows"
"Pardon"
"Well you own the damn things!!"

fetching cows from paddock and moving fence would take me the best part of a hour on average unless the cows were alongside parlour .It takes me 3 hours on my own from start of going for cows to milk 50 in a 6 unit and wash up .Its fuking slavery for 30 cent/ltire .Imo unless your farmyard/parlour is in center of milking block there is an awful lot of extra work for little reward!!

Ok so I milked the cows on my own this morning which was ok,but from start to finish took 3 hours ...

Explain through them 3hrs alittle better. How long bringing cows in, setting up the machine etc. How long from clusters on till you got out of the parlour? The general aim here is to reduce cluster downtime to an absolute minimum, and to do that from putting the last cluster on a cow in any row you need to be fast and efficient about dipping/leaving out/bringing in/feeding and any pre cluster preparation of the opposite row. Ideally you should get all of this done just as the acrs are taking off the clusters. What I find is I got no problems in the morning milking but under more pressure the pm (because I'm on 15 and 9 hr splits, cows give like 15 to 25l the am but only 8 to 18 the pm). Very little pre milking prep here also. And any slow cows have yellow tape on their tails, I try to put the cluster on them as early as possible. What about your wash routine, I assume you set the machine washing then come back to wash down clusters etc?

I haven’t got one but the few lads with the bat latch that opens the paddock wire at the set time swear by them. They say it saves an awful lot of time both morning and evening

Cows are as lazy as sin leaving the parlour here in the evenings. I open the gate when the first half have lifted off. Main thing is to get the clusters on a new row as quick as you can and then you have time to spray the previous row, let them out, check how cows are milking, keep the place clean etc. Try to finish on the side opps the washers so you have that side washed and maybe the back too when waiting on the last row to milk.

Back