Bulk milk tank

briank

Good evening all. Thinking of changing the milk tank as struggling for capacity and Kerry co-op are tightening up on the use of barrels to take any excess. Anyone any thoughts on the various different brands of tanks that are out there as regards reliability? Regarding cooling I think direct expansion seems to be the way to go now. Also are 2nd hand tanks worth the money or is the cooling efficiency way behind compared to the new ones?

Good evening all. Thinking of changing the milk tank as struggling for capacity and Kerry co-op are tightening up on the use of barrels to take any excess. Anyone any thoughts on the various different brands of tanks that are out there as regards reliability? Regarding cooling I think direct expansion seems to be the way to go now. Also are 2nd hand tanks worth the money or is the cooling efficiency way behind compared to the new ones?
Have a Dairymaster here, just the standard one with the basic controls. Have it 2 years and no issues. Have a big plate cooler and the fridge units are drawing air from the Northern side of the shed. Plate cooler does a lot as the temp never goes over 4 degrees when milking. Hard to make a 2nd hand stack up when you get a 40% grant and the vat back.

Have a packo. It's the biggest regret of anything I ever bought. Trouble from day 1. I think maybe I'm just unlucky with it. Delighted I have bulk tank maintenance cover to cover the looking after of it.

Direct expansion the simplest and most common tank out there, however I'd strongly recommend a plate cooler with one (otherwise your paying full whack day rate most the time). You should be aiming to have the bulk tank finished cooling by the time you start washing out the milking parlour with this setup, previously with our old tank it would take like 4 or 5 solid hrs to cool the milk, wasting a huge amount of electricity.

Grants are quite easy to get for new tanks and platecoolers, you do need approval before you buy anything however, so get onto that immediately.

In terms of makes, actually not a massive amount between any of them, a tank is jsut afew large sheets of stainless welded, and the compressors are generic refrigeration units (usually a 5hp copland) and some sort of autowasher. Fancy tanks have a touchscreen and Internet upload, and these obviously are more things to go wrong, but equally so a text alert system that your tank has failed or someone didn't turn on the cooler is useful. I got a very basic darakool tank here, I bought it purely on the price point, it was about 15/20% cheaper than any other tank at the time, no major problems since, the very odd few issues, like a broken fan motor bearing, gas needed topping up etc. I've no maintenance contract but have a very reliable serviceman thankfully.

Definitely plate cooler 1st it will cut running cost in half. We have a dairymaster here 5-6 years now and happy with it. It will send a txt if something is wrong which I would highly recommend. Had a packo before it and no hassle with it either. All I'd say is have a look to see what is in your area and how quick backup can be got

Do people tend to have 1 or 2 compressors? I know it probably depends on the size of the tank but some companies for eg off 1x5hp or 2x3hp. Any advantage having the 2 compressors other than if one breaks down the other will still cool just a bit more slowly. Initial cost would be higher for 2 but any difference in running costs?

Do people tend to have 1 or 2 compressors? I know it probably depends on the size of the tank but some companies for eg off 1x5hp or 2x3hp. Any advantage having the 2 compressors other than if one breaks down the other will still cool just a bit more slowly. Initial cost would be higher for 2 but any difference in running costs?
If was me I'd go with the two at least if one acts up you have the second. And also on a hot day better with two

Changed last year, got a Dairymaster with 2x8kw compressors on it. Went with the most basic controls I could possibly get, no gimmicks. For consideration, look at a bottom fill change over valve so you won't have to connect/move pipes. Put one on here, the lorry driver can fill his tanker while I'm milking, finds it handy as no one else wants to see him at that time of the day! We call the valve "The god handle" because heaven help you if you have it turned the wrong way during circulation.

I'd advise going with 2 compressors (in case of breakdown, and they do breakdown), get them to fit a bypass switch for the controller so that you can manually get the tank to cool (in case of a breakdown, and they do breakdown!).

Glanbia must absolutely love chaps like that ha.

Changed last year, got a Dairymaster with 2x8kw compressors on it. Went with the most basic controls I could possibly get, no gimmicks. For consideration, look at a bottom fill change over valve so you won't have to connect/move pipes. Put one on here, the lorry driver can fill his tanker while I'm milking, finds it handy as no one else wants to see him at that time of the day! We call the valve "The god handle" because heaven help you if you have it turned the wrong way during circulation.

I'd advise going with 2 compressors (in case of breakdown, and they do breakdown), get them to fit a bypass switch for the controller so that you can manually get the tank to cool (in case of a breakdown, and they do breakdown!).

They won’t pick milk up here if it’s not in a tank that can cool,also not allowed to collect while milk is pumping in.

I put in a plate cooler recently its a big help. It knocks 10 or 12 degrees off the milk.

Need to change tank here for something more efficient by right.

He is mad , and would be the 1st to admit it .
65 years of age , a bachelor . Gone up 40 this year to 130 . Just to best a neighbour who is married to his 1st cousin .

He's giving his whole life working and wouldn't know what to do with himself if he stopped. It's easy see how it could happen to a lad.

Got a bit more info on tanks last week at the ploughing so still considering my options. I'll go direct expansion alright but next question is heat recovery or not. Dairymaster say they can get 1litre hot water at 55degC for every 2litres of milk while packo say they'll get 1litre hot water for every 7 litres of milk. Liscarroll say to stay clear and use gas! Anyone verify the Dairymaster figure?

Got a bit more info on tanks last week at the ploughing so still considering my options. I'll go direct expansion alright but next question is heat recovery or not. Dairymaster say they can get 1litre hot water at 55degC for every 2litres of milk while packo say they'll get 1litre hot water for every 7 litres of milk. Liscarroll say to stay clear and use gas! Anyone verify the Dairymaster figure?
Have an oil burner here, same as a central heating setup, plenty of hot water and efficient.

Depending on size of your parlour storing the water is a issue. Plus you will still have to heat it up before use. I remember we looked into it when we changed the tank but steered away in the end. We have gas now, instant hot water when you need it no fuss

Have a dairymaster here. It's the biggest heap of shit that ever came into the place. Go away and buy a muller or something, anything but a dairymaster. They will tell you anything so you'll buy one and won't be long telling you to fuck off when it goes tits up.

Have an oil burner here, same as a central heating setup, plenty of hot water and efficient.
Depending on size of your parlour storing the water is a issue. Plus you will still have to heat it up before use. I remember we looked into it when we changed the tank but steered away in the end. We have gas now, instant hot water when you need it no fuss

Interest in both set ups for hot water as thinking of going that route for next year. What was the total cost for both set ups and how fast is it at heating water and to what temperature. Annual running costs of both systems, i assume with gas you are paying rent on tank V oil no cost. Does the oil system work on green oil or Kero. Max temperature etc,,,

Sorry to hijack thread

Have a dairymaster here. It's the biggest heap of shit that ever came into the place. Go away and buy a muller or something, anything but a dairymaster. They will tell you anything so you'll buy one and won't be long telling you to fuck off when it goes tits up.
Does the tank give lots of trouble or is it the washing or what makes it so bad?

What are gas bills like for the year and for what size parlour are you washing? Are you seeing a big difference in ESB bill since you went away from the immersion?

Back