Dairy farming

A friend is a dairy and tillage farmer but he hates milking cows so his father does all the milking. The father went on a week's holidays a month ago and we were all very curious to see how paddy was going to handle the milking. It was no problem says paddy I got in the farm relief in to milk the cows and I got as much work done as normal without having to go near them.:lol:

I just want to throw an idea on here it's slightly touching on what 6600 was on about earlier, if a Lad was to sell all calves at 3 weeks of age and buy in in calf heifers around November would it make since ? I know there was threads on this before but I am trying to make my mind up whether to breed my own or buy in from here on .

Unless you're really interested in the breeding then it makes sense to beef everything, sell the calves and buy heifers back.

I just want to throw an idea on here it's slightly touching on what 6600 was on about earlier, if a Lad was to sell all calves at 3 weeks of age and buy in in calf heifers around November would it make since ? I know there was threads on this before but I am trying to make my mind up whether to breed my own or buy in from here on .
I think if you factor in the higher value of the non fresian calves and the reduced workload not having to do AI it mightn't cost anything extra to buy the heifers. €850 should buy a heifers in March ready for the bull. Ask other farmers if they know of anyone with heifers to sell and do your homework to see if they have good herds. Find out what their litres and solids are. A lot of lads milk record so will be able to show you. Look at the mothers obviously to see if their type of cow would fit in with your system. Ask them what they vaccinate for, if they answer straight away with a list of things they're on the level. Try buy from the one herd.
The only hiccup is TB, I don't think you can buy stock if locked up.

Ok well I should have put up this post first maybe , we have 45 acres next door to us rented the top half is kinda rocky in patches so we use this for grazing and the bottom half is for silage, we keep 15 fresian heifers and 15 Whitehead and Angus bullocks every year and they go out there usually around the
End of March. But the point I am making is if I were to sell all calves at 3 weeks of age and buy in the heifers 2 months before calving,would I drop this ground next door then or what ? Because I wouldn't have any cattle to feed it if I kept it on ..

Ok well I should have put up this post first maybe , we have 45 acres next door to us rented the top half is kinda rocky in patches so we use this for grazing and the bottom half is for silage, we keep 15 fresian heifers and 15 Whitehead and Angus bullocks every year and they go out there usually around the
End of March. But the point I am making is if I were to sell all calves at 3 weeks of age and buy in the heifers 2 months before calving,would I drop this ground next door then or what ? Because I wouldn't have any cattle to feed it if I kept it on ..
Depends if its dear land or not really. An extra few acres could be a big help if they change the nitrates rules. It could keep you out of being classed as an 'intensive' farm and having to meet a whole load of new rules.

Good point 6600 . No I couldn't it's a fair trek for cows . Well my thinking of it is if I am rearing calves I might as will rear my own replacements . If I was selling all calves at 3 weeks then obviously I would have to buy in the in calf heifers then .

Good point 6600 . No I couldn't it's a fair trek for cows . Well my thinking of it is if I am rearing calves I might as will rear my own replacements . If I was selling all calves at 3 weeks then obviously I would have to buy in the in calf heifers then .
Maybe just AI everything for the first 3 weeks then bull after that. At least there would be an end to it then. Keep whatever calves you need then to keep the grass down.

Seems to becoming the new thing now. Hearing more and more guys going down this road year on year. It will take a serious about of work off you. But is someone else's cow better then yours? It's a big disease factor you have to make sure the guy your are buying off is on his game. And stay out of marts

Are these guys doing it for less work or dropping rented ground or what Fiat 450 ?
And of the lads you know doing it how is it working for them ?

Flying herd here with four years.
I’ve bought cows from all around France, Germany and Holland with no health issues so far. Strict testing before they enter the herd and a retest a few weeks later.
The reason we changed from breeding our own stock was the cost. It was north of €1500 to breed a heifer to her first milking...the cost is even more if you factor in to get them to the second lactation.
We bought beef bulls to serve the cows and finish to beef at 16mts.

Back to breeding our own shortly because the price of freshly calved heifers has risen from €900 to €1500, and availability is getting more difficult as breeding stocks are reduced by 8-10%.

How far is the trek?
Measure it. Then measure if you could install a track and a couple of gates to make it less of a trek.

There are cows near here walking almost a mile to milk. Granted they are NZ types but still a good walk for any cow and they manage it fine.

Are these guys doing it for less work or dropping rented ground or what Fiat 450 ?
And of the lads you know doing it how is it working for them ?
Ah sure lad abit of both. One man was on his own as his son was in school still so was labour for him. He comes back every year to buy a couple of freshly calved 2nd calvers. The other man I know just wants to milk as many cows as he can off his ground and sees young stocks using valuable ground on cows. I sopose you will get a pick of good cows out there and be able to build your herd profile but just be careful how you choose from.

It wouldn't be a mile now but tis not far off it I suppose . We could milk 150 cows here if we wanted to but we dont and it's easy say that in this weather ground is heavy ish around here.
He buys them off you fiat 450 is it ?

It wouldn't be a mile now but tis not far off it I suppose . We could milk 150 cows here if we wanted to but we dont and it's easy say that in this weather ground is heavy ish around here.
He buys them off you fiat 450 is it ?
We are the same I could milk 170 if every year was like this year but if weather was difficult be a different story. Ya he's been buying off us awhile now. We usually sell 10 or so depending. Had a few go to a robot this year also.

They are 10 of your best fiat 450 I suppose ! Well the 150 was not a realistic figure it would be more 120 cows but anyway 96 is enough for me . Is buying in in calf heifers similar to heifer rearing then ?

Im just going to leave this here....

Teagasc: Smarter Milking Event farm of Conor & Liz Fitzpatrick,Annabella,Mallow P51HX32 on Thurs 18th July @ 11am.Cow Flow,Saving Energy,Time &Money.KT APPROVED

They are 10 of your best fiat 450 I suppose ! Well the 150 was not a realistic figure it would be more 120 cows but anyway 96 is enough for me . Is buying in in calf heifers similar to heifer rearing then ?
Well it's one thing dad and I insist on is if you sell a good animal you will keep a good name cos bad news spreads quicker then good. Not really as they are your own stock if you had someone rearing them for you. I think buying calfed heifers might be better for you as you know the animal is milking and all quarters are good

Yes agree with you there fiat 450 you cant sell the 3 paps anyway,but there is plenty lads out there that do sell the culls . I would have taught your last point was right too only it was said in earlier posts that calved stock can be dealer territory.

Yes agree with you there fiat 450 you cant sell the 3 paps anyway,but there is plenty lads out there that do sell the culls . I would have taught your last point was right too only it was said in earlier posts that calved stock can be dealer territory.
Ya might be alright. Hard one to win on. Could try do a deal on pay a deposit and get them a few days after calving once all is ok. You'd hear stories from the vet problem calvings cos of poor management and incorrect sire choice

Ya might be alright. Hard one to win on. Could try do a deal on pay a deposit and get them a few days after calving once all is ok. You'd hear stories from the vet problem calvings cos of poor management and incorrect sire choice
I'd much rather put them in calf myself and have them trained in the parlour before they calve. No one to blame then. If you feed the heifers right there shouldn't be an issue calving. If one or two don't end up milking a long and fruitful life then so what, that's farming, fatten her and get your money back.

I'd much rather put them in calf myself and have them trained in the parlour before they calve. No one to blame then. If you feed the heifers right there shouldn't be an issue calving. If one or two don't end up milking a long and fruitful life then so what, that's farming, fatten her and get your money back.
I think if you have good genetics in the herd you are mad not to breed your own stock IMO. In podge 23 case here if you are on top of ai and ebi and know what traits your herd needs, you can easily pick bulls to suit your top cows and breed from them only. Then you only need 25 at max replacements so in theory ai 60 cows to black and white early give them one straw of b nd w and any that repeat go to stock bull. If 80% hold you will have 48ish fr calfs, probably end up half bull half heifer that leave you about 24 replacement heifers from your top cows. Sell everything else. And if you have more heifer calfs your on the pigs back you have choice to go to the mart or sell down the road and make a extra few Bob off them

Back