Another trailer conversion project

would it be made to think about converting a stepframe, I presume anything less that a gravel yard would be problems for a stepframe. Mostly drawing bales and bags of fertiliser. Its really for the fertiliser I would consider the stepframe

Thanks @Mike and @massey 6480 ,I have been in touch with totrax tyres who said they had 100 of those coil springs made and they are down to the last 6 and won't be making any more because they haven't sold very well,they are about £120+vat and those rubber things are £70 but might need to do a bit of fabrication to get them to fit

Last edited:
would it be made to think about converting a stepframe, I presume anything less that a gravel yard would be problems for a stepframe. Mostly drawing bales and bags of fertiliser. Its really for the fertiliser I would consider the stepframe

If you could get one on 19.5 rims it would be the best option the 17.5 rims get stones stuck between them and bust the tyres easy. And you have very little ground clearance.

That's what @AHC did, I'm pretty sure his is on 19.5's though.

Their set at 17 foot 6 inches from front and 9 foot 6 from back to the centre of the two axels, The axels are 1300mm centre to centre. seems to suit the trailer nicely. I wouldnt bother with them rubber blocks or big coil springs. If you want sprung axels id go and buy a proper 16 ton under slung spring kit and space the axels the way that suits the lenth of the trailer.

Have you looked into powering the air suspension with a 12v compressor?

Have heard of it being done but have never seen it.
Heard of someone filling the airbags with antifreeze and blanking them off and getting a decent ride with the trailer,if the axles would do where they are it would make for a cheap trailer!

Back