Straw Prices

Have not even considered a price for straw yet, see Journal is talking 12 euro a bale. Would consider that a insult price in this day and age. Straw could be bought around here by loyal customers for 18 euro a bale last year which would exuate to 20 euro further up the country. Once you hit or go above 20 euro you see lots of other forms of bedding used like sawdust, wood chip, peat etc. . I put in cubicles last year and my straw usage dropped by about 80%.

No way will i look 20 euro but also no way will i sell for 12 euro. If crops of straw are plentiful then i would be guessing north of 15 euro a bale depending on weather and yield. If north of Carlow i would be looking for at least 17 euro depending on yield and weather. Those prices are ex-field.

I actually met someone from the journal during the week and the topic of that €12 price came up. He admitted that someone in the Journal dropped the ball and that price was wrongly sourced. I hadn’t even seen the article and it was he who said it to me. They were genuinely very embarrassed.

I actually met someone from the journal during the week and the topic of that €12 price came up. He admitted that someone in the Journal dropped the ball and that price was wrongly sourced. I hadn’t even seen the article and it was he who said it to me. They were genuinely very embarrassed.
Lets hope they correct it so next week - that will show how genuine they really are or not...

Lets hope they correct it so next week - that will show how genuine they really are or not...

That was in last weeks paper and I don't see any correction in this weeks paper......

But then tillage is only worth four pages at most so I shouldn't be too surprised.

That's an interesting story which might be true if the same thing didn't happen every year. A nice little hit piece the week before the harvest. The €145 in big writing was a nice touch too. Expectations management.

I m buying straw from the 1 man for 10 years . Never ask the price beforehand.

Hard to see anyone giving €20 for straw . There is the world of hay on Done deal at 18 , never mind 20. Supply and demand

Sold rape straw today at €100 a ton delivered at 15% moisture and under, at least that’s the first fixed price I have on straw.
I only have to cut and bale it now and I think it’s still 3/4 weeks away from cutting
That's a great price.
Barley straw on donedeal for €11

Back