Winter barley 2019

Finally got out .cut the only field of tower we have .badly broken down will have tonnage in the morning all the rest is carnival which is looking very good combine will tell all tho

Pixel cut 2 weeks today. First field did 3.8t @ 18%/mc and 63kph and second field did 4.4t @17-18%/mc and 66kph.
Belfry got the chop yesterday 4.3t @19.5%/mc and 63kph
Bazooka first up today and all infinity after that.
Belfry breaking down fast. Left a few heads on the ground. Glad we got weather to get it done.
Straw yield for the pixel was 11bales/a

Pixel cut 2 weeks today. First field did 3.8t @ 18%/mc and 63kph and second field did 4.4t @17-18%/mc and 66kph.
Belfry got the chop yesterday 4.3t @19.5%/mc and 63kph
Bazooka first up today and all infinity after that.
Belfry breaking down fast. Left a few heads on the ground. Glad we got weather to get it done.
Straw yield for the pixel was 11bales/a
your getting better for harvesting in east cork than we are out west ,

Only had about 7ac of winter barley (trial plots).

Plots surrounded by Pixel. Previous cropping was Spring barley, Winter wheat, WOSR.
The area in total yielded 4.4tn @20%mc. Plots varied from 3.9 to 5.25tn. Never had as high yielding winter barley trial before. Haven’t analyzed the results yet but just looking at weights, I think the Pixel was the highest yielder in the trial.
Kphs were low (59 - 63).

Kosmos cut today, not 100% but should be around 3.2t not sure what the weight of last load was but a fairly good guess puts it there. Think dad said first load was around 16% and the second was under 15% will know in the morning how the other weighed in.
Was baling other stuff today, not sure of the variety but it was doing 10 bales/acre

Forgot to add bushel was mid 60’s will get a look in the morning at dockets

Last edited:
Finished winter Barley here today, yield seems good, trailer estimates avg 4tn @17%. Big swarth of straw but not much baled yet. Happy with yield considering odd year. Better crops to come id say.
All weighed today, spot on 4tn infinity after wheat after beet, and carneval after maize after beet, carneval has a massive swarth of straw and would have prob done more had i not scorched it severely with growth regulator.

I was in my neighbors and he was cutting Tower after Wheat and rape and it was yielding very well at a guess up near 4 tonne. He had one field that missed a fungicide around Terpal time and it was a half tonne back on the rest of it. His loss monitors were in the red no matter what he did..

I was in my neighbors and he was cutting Tower after Wheat and rape and it was yielding very well at a guess up near 4 tonne. He had one field that missed a fungicide around Terpal time and it was a half tonne back on the rest of it. His loss monitors were in the red no matter what he did..

I was speaking to a contractor yesterday who cut winter barley on a farm. 4 different blocks. WOSR grown every 5th year.

The 4 blocks varied in yield, each different from the others.

When we worked back the rotation over the past 4 years, it became clear that the yield dropped the further away the barley was from the rape crop. Probably what would be expected but interesting to see a perfect example all the same.

There is a swarm of crows around here where straw is cleared, id say if what was on the ground filled and was in the combine there was another half tonne. Have a good bit of it crimped this year and grain squashing rather than shattering like it normally would with fluted rollers at low moisture, itsbkind od dead and soft.

There is a swarm of crows around here where straw is cleared, id say if what was on the ground filled and was in the combine there was another half tonne. Have a good bit of it crimped this year and grain squashing rather than shattering like it normally would with fluted rollers at low moisture, itsbkind od dead and soft.

Interesting, probably linked to why bushels are low. I’d say there were too many grains for the plants to fill properly.

Cut 36 acres of cassia for a customer yesterday , both two different pieces of land and there was no real hope for either as rabbits savaged it , first 20 acres did 3.7 @20% with a bushel of 67 . The other 16 acres which they thought would be a disaster did 4.1 @20% and 66 bushel .
Cut my own piece of 6 row which did 3.8 @ 20% , no bushel. After oats on a heavy field so happy enough. In the last piece today and while not finished I think it’s north of 4 .
For some reason in our area we are getting above average yields , we would normally be averaging 3.4 over 250 acres of winter barley but this year 4 will easily be the average . No straw counts as nothing fully baled yet but what I’m hearing is 11/12 bales per acre so nothing great, hopefully tomorrow will put a big hole in the acres.
Talking to a merchant in north Laois and once you pass Portlaoise yields are really dropping with the average back around 3 .
It’s lucky the winter barley is good as we have a nice bit of April sown spring barley that’s lodging , all for seed and I can see some fields not passing which will be a knock to the profit line .

I was speaking to a contractor yesterday who cut winter barley on a farm. 4 different blocks. WOSR grown every 5th year.

The 4 blocks varied in yield, each different from the others.

When we worked back the rotation over the past 4 years, it became clear that the yield dropped the further away the barley was from the rape crop. Probably what would be expected but interesting to see a perfect example all the same.
Finished cutting this evening, all cassia, ranged from 3.1 to 4.4 all at at 13.6 to 17.6%mc. When I went back through rotations the few acres at 3.1 were a 4th winter barley after ley up to 2nd winter barley after wheat after ley at 4.4 but it is prob most fertile field in place. The right variety in the right slot is what makes the difference basically. Lesson learned. Btw all got sown within 2 days of each other and same treatments all year more or less. Only thing though is the lowest yielding field looks to have best crop of straw, going baling in morning so time will tell

Kosmos cut today, not 100% but should be around 3.2t not sure what the weight of last load was but a fairly good guess puts it there. Think dad said first load was around 16% and the second was under 15% will know in the morning how the other weighed in.
Was baling other stuff today, not sure of the variety but it was doing 10 bales/acre

Forgot to add bushel was mid 60’s will get a look in the morning at dockets
Well the guess wasn’t far out 3.3t, 2 load at 14.7% and 62 bushel and the other at 16.5% 60bushel. Happy enough just gota get the straw bales up tomorrow probably now but should be a good enough crop

Back