Straw Prices

How many posts in the weather thread? That’s a stupid comment out of you.
maybe so, I never look at the weather thread as its the weather, we have to play with what we get.

Reason I say I find it sad is, that grain makes up 75% in value of a crops output, but cereal farmers have to worry about the by-product that is the final 25% and if anything, its worth more chopped back into the ground than arguing with lads over a few euro

maybe so, I never look at the weather thread as its the weather, we have to play with what we get.

Reason I say I find it sad is, that grain makes up 75% in value of a crops output, but cereal farmers have to worry about the by-product that is the final 25% and if anything, its worth more chopped back into the ground than arguing with lads over a few euro
Give the poor divil what he's looking for and don't be haggling. You're in a deficit area if I'm not mistaken, beggars can't be choosers. Where's the tin hat emoji gone?? :scratchhead:

Give the poor divil what he's looking for and don't be haggling. You're in a deficit area if I'm not mistaken, beggars can't be choosers. Where's the tin hat emoji gone?? :scratchhead:

I havent used straw in about 5 yrs so it makes no odds to me, even if the 10 bales i may use a year, if its €25 or €15 its not going to put me out of business. I dont haggle usually on price, supplier either gets the business or not. their pencil maybe sharper next time if they want the business

It might seem funny at first but when you think of the potential consequences of what this guy is at, his license should be put through a shredder.

Couldn't agree more, might as well have no wing mirrors at all, probably no safety chain and I bet the guards would write a book with all of the other stuff that they'd find.:tdown:

This spell of weather might help price of straw, had a spin across the country today and seems to be a lot of straw not baled, and it never seems to yield as well when it's after getting a good soaking and a few turnings. A few fields chopped too which should help

This spell of weather might help price of straw, had a spin across the country today and seems to be a lot of straw not baled, and it never seems to yield as well when it's after getting a good soaking and a few turnings. A few fields chopped too which should help

It’s always the same, from one extreme to the other....

Last year, lads were almost fighting over straw and fodder, this year it has no value.

There is a lot of hay in the country, some of it out in the weather I’d assume? (Not much hay around here and I haven’t been traveling).
There is also some straw left in sheds.

In terms of straw, the area under cereals didn’t go up. Winter barley went up but spring barley came back by 25%.
I see the mushroom guys are starting to hoover up wheaten straw.
A share of Oaten straw has been chopped.
There’s a lot of lodged spring barley still not harvested. Virtually no spring barley whatsoever harvested around here and the August forecast is anything but good.

So, methinks that straw could get scarce again yet, depending on what kind of a winter we get. Just my view, could be completely wrong.

Back