Brexit

The time for appeasement is over!! What would the point be giving jobs to people who will swear loyalty and then throw you under the bus at the first opportunity. His back room appointments are even more interesting, the leftist Whitehall types won't be able to dictate as easily now.
The response from Europe will be interesting. They want the 39 billion or their budget is in tatters. Although budgeting wouldn't be part of their vocabulary. May didn't seem to want to use that chip, far rathering to go kissing cheeks with Juncker every week. We will be giving 3 billion to the EU this year btw. Our receipts from them is about 1.5.

Our Taoiseach should be the first leader to meet him, given the amount of trade we do and how important they are to us. But no, we'll leave it up to Brussels.
we only get 1.5 billion from europe ? as in the country or agriculture :scratchhead:

I heard a good one supposed to be said by him on tv last night .Some reporter interviewed him about our taoiseach Leo and Boris wondered why Leo was not called Murphy like the rest of that crowd

It's on the EU website, can't find it now. Also says we got €56 billion from the EU since 1973, 2/3 of this was the CAP. Money well spent?? I wouldn't refuse it but the way things are going we should prepare to do without it.

Our GDP for 2018 was €376 billion, our GNP was €250 billion, the difference is the production of the foreign owned businesses here. The figure for agricultural GDP is €3 billion, think that's the farming output, I doubt that includes the food manufacturing sector. Manufacturing GDP is €105 billion or so, you would have to think agri is a big part of that.

Our national debt is €223 billion, this is up from €100 billion in 2010 because we bailed out the German banks who lent to the Irish banks and overheated our economy, this helped nobody in the long run and the German banks are now in trouble again. See Deutsche Bank who laid off 18,000 of its 100,000 workforce last week. Government tax revenue is €60 billion or so and the cost of servicing the national debt is between €20 and €25 per year.

It's great to see Boris in the hot seat to see what he will do or be able to do. After all, nobody has done more to get Britain into the current position that it is in than him, so let's see what he does to get them out of it!
A bit like the dog chasing cars then one stops and the driver says right yea,ve caught it what are you going to do with it now ?

Brexiteer Mark Francois of the Tory eurosceptic ERG group was on newsnight last night. He said if the backstop was removed from the withdrawal agreement they still wouldn’t vote for it.
The Eu certainly aren’t going to open negotiations with Boris now because he couldn’t get any deal through the commons.
This takes the pressure off Ireland to compromise too.

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1000824/
It's very hard to get reliable figures. This says 1.8 total in 2017, the last year they've managed to sign off.
Welcome back by the way.
surely the motorways are partly funded by european money , didn,t albert reynolds come back waving 8 billion around years ago from europe, as far as i can remember we put in roughly the same as we get out of it and i,d say its way more than 3 billion either way

:speechless::speechless: sure 3 billion wouldn,t build a hospital :sneaky:, don,t we owe something like 200 billion altogether, if its only 3 billion to be a member its a bargain

Its a lot of money alright. And with the UK leaving it'll be up to the likes of us to contribute more.

Having said that, would the likes of Boston scientific, medtronic, phfizer, intel and a whole host of others besides be here only for our low corporate tax rate and access to the single market. Think of all they contribute to the economy.

I'd like to think we get value for money. I'm not a huge fan of Fintan O'Toole but i decided to read after the ball. A lot of hand picked facts shoehorned in to fit an agenda, but i did like the line about middle Ireland being seduced by motorways and headage payments.

Long story short. I think whinging about your membership fees is the financial equivalent of eating your seed potatoes.

Its a lot of money alright. And with the UK leaving it'll be up to the likes of us to contribute more.

Having said that, would the likes of Boston scientific, medtronic, phfizer, intel and a whole host of others besides be here only for our low corporate tax rate and access to the single market. Think of all they contribute to the economy.

I'd like to think we get value for money. I'm not a huge fan of Fintan O'Toole but i decided to read after the ball. A lot of hand picked facts shoehorned in to fit an agenda, but i did like the line about middle Ireland being seduced by motorways and headage payments.

Long story short. I think whinging about your membership fees is the financial equivalent of eating your seed potatoes.
i didn,t cop on to it being written by the bould fintan , i would discount it completely then

Back