Winter Oats 2019

Currently waiting for a trailer. I'm going to keep going until I physically can't anymore. My oats don't want any rain. There breaking down a lot more then and I thought.

You were lucky to be able to stay going so long, the man I was with stopped at 9.30 because the head auger kept choking, heavy dew came down fast enough.

You were lucky to be able to stay going so long, the man I was with stopped at 9.30 because the head auger kept choking, heavy dew came down fast enough.
I started cutting yesterday at twenty past nine in the morning. I always start early in short ground where there is lots of time wasted so even if it is damp the tonnage would not be big . I save the long runs for mid afternoon.

From talking to a few growers around here, the correlation between rust levels earlier in the season and yields is very very obvious even if it was reasonably well controlled. Makes perfect sense I suppose.

We were eventually stopped at 2:30 by the dew. I probably could have worked on until 3 but tbh I was bollixed tired and a choked header ended my will to push on.

Often get a nice breeze the night before rain which allows you to cut on into the small hours but we got a heavy dew Friday night too. In OSR that night and called it quits just before midnight when the straw hood blocked for the third time.

It was a smashing day out here since about midday with sun and wind and foolishly I stopped doing shoring work and decided to get the combine out. I need not have bothered. The minute I pulled into the field it decided to lash down. So I'm pulling the plug as I can see nothing but clouds. No doubt the sun will reappear when I pull the stopper. I'm livid atm ffs :censored::censored:e

It looks like the Oats did 3.6 tonne going by the weigh loader at 16% moisture. One of the dockets has a Bushel of 61 the rest were all over 55 . It’s not often you get 3 tonne of Oats in the bucket of the loader. I only have four dockets over the weigh bridge and they were all over 30 tonne.

Last load of Isabel loaded this evening and it looks to have done 3.76 @20% , first load was 55 kph and second was 58 . Very happy as there was an acre lost in one field due to flooding. Where it’s going seem very happy with it saying it’s a lovely sample... hopefully the price payed for it will reflect that !!!!!!! Hope to get the straw baled up tomorrow.

It looks like the Oats did 3.6 tonne going by the weigh loader at 16% moisture. One of the dockets has a Bushel of 61 the rest were all over 55 . It’s not often you get 3 tonne of Oats in the bucket of the loader. I only have four dockets over the weigh bridge and they were all over 30 tonne.
You’ll dine in Kelly’s on October bank holiday weekend yet

I cut my field of Direct drilled oats yesterday - This was my first attempt at DD and was sowed into spring barely stubble, ground was too hard and too dry and the crop really struggled to get going, as photo shows also quite a few mistakes with the ins on the drill!! At one stage was going to plough it in. Crop showed various stresses along the way including a strong purple tinge near the end and looked much thinner than the conventional crops.... but it done just on the 3 ton @15% - these are trailer estimates but against my conventional which were also trailer estimates its only 10% less. To be honest I'm well impressed and shows the capability of the oats to tiller and recover, and I didn't have to pick stones!!!
DJI_0002.JPG

I cut my field of Direct drilled oats yesterday - This was my first attempt at DD and was sowed into spring barely stubble, ground was too hard and too dry and the crop really struggled to get going, as photo shows also quite a few mistakes with the ins on the drill!! At one stage was going to plough it in. Crop showed various stresses along the way including a strong purple tinge near the end and looked much thinner than the conventional crops.... but it done just on the 3 ton @15% - these are trailer estimates but against my conventional which were also trailer estimates its only 10% less. To be honest I'm well impressed and shows the capability of the oats to tiller and recover, and I didn't have to pick stones!!!
View attachment 68660
Well done! What is the grand plan? Are you going to cover crops and no till?

Well done! What is the grand plan? Are you going to cover crops and no till?
Cover crops then book my weekend in kelly’s for October and see from there!

I’m not ready to sell the plough but definitely will be more dd this year. I’ve got caught out now with straw on the ground which looking at forecast could significantly delay covers .

The numbers are in and it averaged 3.5 an acre at 16%. Happy enough as there's a couple of acres got badly lodged with a cloud burst a week ago and the combine wasn't able to get a lot of it and crows did a fair job on a good chunk of headland last year after sowing. None of the straw baled so no idea on bale numbers.

B76EA845-36A1-4681-8C57-9438CD1EB8E6.jpeg Went to look at some Department of Agriculture trial plots today.

Some winter oat plots are left in the weather to test the brackling & lodging strength of each variety.

They received extra N, full fungicide & full PGR.

There are two plots of each variety in the picture.

The only one standing is Isabel.

Mostly plough and one pass 5 acres dd with Moore . Yield was down 10% on dd but made a number of mistakes mainly no prior cover and ground too hard when drilled but it recovered well and impressed at harvest as never looked great all year. Lost €50/60 per acre based on current price but time and diesel saving also I did cut fertilizer slightly on that field . All in I will happily try more next year.

View attachment 69377 Went to look at some Department of Agriculture trial plots today.

Some winter oat plots are left in the weather to test the brackling & lodging strength of each variety.

They received extra N, full fungicide & full PGR.

There are two plots of each variety in the picture.

The only one standing is Isabel.

Will they pick up the heads brackled on the ground and feed it into the combine like I saw for another crop grow by Dept of Ag to determine "yeild" :no:

Back