What are you up to in the workshop?

Need to make a grain barrier for closing front of shed. It’s 15ft wide and about 6-7 ft high. Currently use grain walls but not the ideal solution. Going to make up a steel frame. So I’ll probably make a heavy 5 ft high section for the bottom and a lighter 2 ft section on top. Any idea what strength steel I would need to span the door frame? Do I need something like 200x75 channel? Or would the likes of these do anyone used them?
https://www.donedeal.ie/view/10303898
Steel Beams for sale

Need to make a grain barrier for closing front of shed. It’s 15ft wide and about 6-7 ft high. Currently use grain walls but not the ideal solution. Going to make up a steel frame. So I’ll probably make a heavy 5 ft high section for the bottom and a lighter 2 ft section on top. Any idea what strength steel I would need to span the door frame? Do I need something like 200x75 channel? Or would the likes of these do anyone used them?
Steel Beams for sale

Could you not have a piece of channel welded on each of the pillars and drop down heavy timbers in it as the store fills? You may need a separate middle pillar for that though. That's the way most I've seen are done.

Most of the barriers I've seen are V barriers in timber. Timber is wedged or fixed to left pillar, goes into shed about 3 feet then comes back out to right pillar. Can't bulge or move as the pressure is forced into the pillars by the internal V. Presume there are bolts or brackets joining timbers.

Steel Beams for sale

I need similar,was thinking of using the neck off an artic trailer,basically because it’s shallow over the 5th wheel

The timber would be a lot handier. Was thinking 6 x3 or 9x 3 over 15ft is a long span but trying to figure out this v idea and how it might work.

Best one I've ever seen was done using 6x3 timber in a louvre design. There was angles welded onto the pillars at each side probably around 60° angle. The timbers slotted in but were easily removed under the pressure of the grain.
This was just done at the bottom 4 or 5ft with the timbers just stacked on top of each other on the upper half.

The side of a trailer is more than 15 feet and it is not made of massive steel and it is bouncing around the country. Grain has a natural angle so even if it is twenty foot deep behind it is not supporting it .

Best one I've ever seen was done using 6x3 timber in a louvre design. There was angles welded onto the pillars at each side probably around 60° angle. The timbers slotted in but were easily removed under the pressure of the grain.
This was just done at the bottom 4 or 5ft with the timbers just stacked on top of each other on the upper half.
We’re they straight across then?

The side of a trailer is more than 15 feet and it is not made of massive steel and it is bouncing around the country. Grain has a natural angle so even if it is twenty foot deep behind it is not supporting it .

True but the trailer side is fixed on 3 of its edges. The top edge is under tension against the ends of the trailer which are under compression from the load, it all pulls against itself.

A dropped in panel will need to be a lot stiffer if it is to be removable under load while retaining its shape

Just got the image of how it works in my head. Awesome idea!

Basically to flex the bottom one would need to bend into solid concrete?
And and the next one into the first, held of course by the concrete. And so on.

15650386431176413831272177546496.jpg Excuse the drawing but it set out like this. Seen it on a visit to Flawbourough Farms in East England a few years ago. It was holding back quite a pile of grain!

The DD rings on the Horsch have cracked a bit more so we are using the Hiatus in Harvesting to take them off . Kellys have a Tool for dismantling and tensioning them on reassembleing them . The end has dished in releasing the tension. It will get new bearings.
4B166F0E-3AF9-4E45-A921-DA008580E376.jpeg 3ECA47D2-2FDC-44B3-92E7-CC9FB1FB5F55.jpeg

Back