Grain prices

Ifj had a interesting talk today at tramlines event.rory deverrall who works for a international grain trader said we should ask our merchants for a minimum grain price when selling forward and still get a higher price if the market rises.
It would cost us 4euro per ton.
Eg we agree 160 per ton for harvest
If market rises to 200 we get 196.
If grain dropped to 140 we get 156.
Probably will be in ifj next week.
I thought it was a good idea.

I would be giving Rorys info a wide berth, he called it completely wrong last year when anyone would spot what was happening

Put options just take more money out of the grain pool

Sold most of green grain harvest the end of last month, less than I was hoping for but with what we sold in December we will be averaging mid €160's across the board. I thought all spring that the US Maize crops would cause a rise in prices world markets, but looks much less likely now, an early US winter would cause prices to rocket, but most can't wait that long for cashflow.

Sold most of green grain harvest the end of last month, less than I was hoping for but with what we sold in December we will be averaging mid €160's across the board. I thought all spring that the US Maize crops would cause a rise in prices world markets, but looks much less likely now, an early US winter would cause prices to rocket, but most can't wait that long for cashflow.
What weather event or political turmoil should I be keeping an eye out for to sell a Barn of wheat . If some f..ker from Roscommon puts a Yacht up on Donedeal all my credit will dry up .

Any news on grain prices. I have heard lots of panic UK corn been dumped and priced dropping here like a stone. Throw in the rumour about boortmalt in Athy been screwed with shed damage and malt barley been dumped onto feed market as a result. Had anyone any word on Athy or is that all fake news? Heard 145 euro for barley top price at the moment.

funny old year, 45 days ago I was happy to pay €20 over what green grain can be bought at today. I was expecting a price 20% over todays green price, if you asked me 2 months ago. strange that with US corn and Rus wheat back a good amount that there hasnt been much upside in the market. I would be in no panic to sell grain, then again who will be around to feed grain to beef animals this year and they would take a fair chunk of feed (i know, imported mostly nowadays :sad:)

Had a bit of a job to get quotes for the osr this week. All giving same story that no one wants it etc. So I sent it to a crowd I never dealt with before just to stick 2 fingers up at my 2 usual buyers. Got €363 @ 9%, dunno whether it's good or bad but deal is done so f**k it!

Had a bit of a job to get quotes for the osr this week. All giving same story that no one wants it etc. So I sent it to a crowd I never dealt with before just to stick 2 fingers up at my 2 usual buyers. Got €363 @ 9%, dunno whether it's good or bad but deal is done so f**k it!

Sounds like a good price to me

funny old year, 45 days ago I was happy to pay €20 over what green grain can be bought at today. I was expecting a price 20% over todays green price, if you asked me 2 months ago. strange that with US corn and Rus wheat back a good amount that there hasnt been much upside in the market. I would be in no panic to sell grain, then again who will be around to feed grain to beef animals this year and they would take a fair chunk of feed (i know, imported mostly nowadays :sad:)

Was told that the pig cull in China has reduced their demand for grain. Dunno how accurate that is though

Any news on grain prices. I have heard lots of panic UK corn been dumped and priced dropping here like a stone. Throw in the rumour about boortmalt in Athy been screwed with shed damage and malt barley been dumped onto feed market as a result. Had anyone any word on Athy or is that all fake news? Heard 145 euro for barley top price at the moment.

passed by athy last weekend, looks to be a lot of damage to the building close to the road, looks like a bomb went off, large chunks of the roof scattered across the yard, never heard what happened,

passed by athy last weekend, looks to be a lot of damage to the building close to the road, looks like a bomb went off, large chunks of the roof scattered across the yard, never heard what happened,
Pass by it a few times every day, a few rotten sheets of galvanise scattered across the yard. In comparison to the newmammoth malting facility being built beside it, any excuse to reduce the quantity of Irish malting barley purchased based on this mishap should not be accepted lying down.

Pass by it a few times every day, a few rotten sheets of galvanise scattered across the yard. In comparison to the newmammoth malting facility being built beside it, any excuse to reduce the quantity of Irish malting barley purchased based on this mishap should not be accepted lying down.
Surely they can't renege on the contracts can they? I've never seen a malting barley contract, is it a proper document with loads of small print terms and conditions?
I've a mate down sunny south east area who rents a few storage sheds out, a boortmalt man came and done a deal with him last week for the whole lot whereas other years they might only take one shed etc.
He thinks they're going to store it, then ship the grain to uk ex new ross to get it malted and back again then.
But equally they could throw up the irish grain and just import it already malted either he thinks

Surely they can't renege on the contracts can they? I've never seen a malting barley contract, is it a proper document with loads of small print terms and conditions?
I've a mate down sunny south east area who rents a few storage sheds out, a boortmalt man came and done a deal with him last week for the whole lot whereas other years they might only take one shed etc.
He thinks they're going to store it, then ship the grain to uk ex new ross to get it malted and back again then.
But equally they could throw up the irish grain and just import it already malted either he thinks

I'm sure there is a Force Majeure in the contract which could be invoked.

Don't Boortmalt have to supply a certain amount of Irish malt to Diageo?

I could be completely wrong but like Barrowsider I'd find it hard to believe it will have much of an impact and given poor relations to date I don't think Boortmalt will want to annoy growers too much either for fear they won't get any grain in the future.

It did seem an odd event, anybody know how such a thing could happen?

On grain prices, aren't we due another USDA report next week?
Yeah the big revision of the "full of lies on the 4th of July " is to be issued on Monday. It probably will put floor under prices, but don't see them recovering the lost ground for a few months. I could be wrong again.

I see the WOSR cut locally was being dried and put on a boat right away. Not sure where it was going but exports are usually better than imports.

they are meant to be taking in a boat of malt next week in new ross

I'm sure there is a Force Majeure in the contract which could be invoked.

Don't Boortmalt have to supply a certain amount of Irish malt to Diageo?

I could be completely wrong but like Barrowsider I'd find it hard to believe it will have much of an impact and given poor relations to date I don't think Boortmalt will want to annoy growers too much either for fear they won't get any grain in the future.

It did seem an odd event, anybody know how such a thing could happen?

Malting floor collapsed is what's on the jungle telegraph, I can't think of anyone from Athy that I know to get a more accurate story.

they are meant to be taking in a boat of malt next week in new ross

New Ross or Belview?

Malting floor collapsed is what's on the jungle telegraph, I can't think of anyone from Athy that I know to get a more accurate story.

New Ross or Belview?
That’s what I heard also . It is going to cause some issues there with the amount they can malt this year

The WASDE report doesn't make for good reading from our point of view, all US future grain prices down about 5%.
:tdown:.
Glad to be 75% sold.

Back