Beef plan

Getting a significant group to stand together is the problem. As said the farmers won't even back each other and the hauliers won't either but if by some miracle they all joined forces we'd have some very real clout then. Achieving that is the problem.

Friesian bull calves should be outlawed. There is no need for them with sexed semen. And the processors will find more homes for O + and upward grades. We can still have a productive beef sector with thousands of jobs for the country

Why will the processors care about O+ grades? After all most of the beef is manufacturing beef not high quality steaks. Most just want volume.

The biggest problem in an Irish context is we have no insight of where the value is being added. We need something like what they have in the States where there is a weekly report on what the market delivers.

And I wouldn't agree with those who think that continental cattle will sell no problem as finished cattle. It was the AA's and HE's which were least troublesome here last winter. Some of the BB and CH only went just before they were overfat by using the others as bargaining chips.

I had no problem with sending aa or hex this spring but general over supply was main problem. Was told keep frieians more than once

I've been chatting to a few folks and we've sort of arrived at a conclusion. We need the hauliers on our side. Farmers feed the world and trucks distribute that food around the world. Curtail the deliveries to the retailers for a few days and create a bit of alarm amongst Joe public and show that without farmers this will be a reality. Persuading the hauliers to align with us is another issue though. If a few of the big players could somehow be persuaded to join up it would add massive weight to the protests. The mere threat of the trucks stopping moving for a few days might just get the powers that be up off their arses and taking a place at the table to hammer out a sustainable plan for all parties going forward. The food chain is rotten atm and the fat cats at the top couldn't care less about the people on the ground. A bit of a shake up of the establishment is needed.

The factories have the hauliers fighting each other for the loads, if you think they have the cattle price cut you'd die of fright if you seen some of the margins hauliers are working for and they won't stick together to get rates up. Hauliers would rather cut rates and drivers wages, if they had any gumption about them they could have the country on it's knees begging, they needn't even protest or blockade anywhere just park all trucks for 4 or 5 days and say absolutely nothing but no they'll cut rates and have worse shiny metal disease than some farmers, then tell anyone that they think will believe them that there's nothing in it.
Forget about Irish or English hauliers doing anything, you'd have some hope if it was the French you were dealing with.

The most consistent rewarding stock i have sold over last dozen years have been beef sired dairy offspring. Dont mind the suckler mom so if you have no time for her, just get the suckler dad into the dairy herd asap is my suggestion....Honestly, wouldn't mind a field full of Friesian bullocks if there was good money and a garauntee that i wouldn't be told keep em when they finish, which happened twice this spring again without the agent even seeing them.
Is there an expert among us to say which will sell best most consistently so we can see what direction to go collectively

Was it not friesan bulls lads had trouble getting killed. I didn't hear of anyone In trouble with bullocks.

The factories have the hauliers fighting each other for the loads, if you think they have the cattle price cut you'd die of fright if you seen some of the margins hauliers are working for and they won't stick together to get rates up. Hauliers would rather cut rates and drivers wages, if they had any gumption about them they could have the country on it's knees begging, they needn't even protest or blockade anywhere just park all trucks for 4 or 5 days and say absolutely nothing but no they'll cut rates and have worse shiny metal disease than some farmers, then tell anyone that they think will believe them that there's nothing in it.
Forget about Irish or English hauliers doing anything, you'd have some hope if it was the French you were dealing with.
Two days would do.t
I remember there was a big road going into a Bog here for a windfarm was a heap of lorry drawing stone into it
One lad had 5 lorries drawing and there was presure to get more stone in one day so there was two more lorries hired into the job.
The lad with the 5 lorries rang and dropped he's rate when he got wind of the other fella being there.
His 5 were going to be there again after that day it just so happened that they needed to get to a certain point that day or something to that effect I know one of the lads that was working there.
Your man effectively dropped the price on himself

Was it not friesan bulls lads had trouble getting killed. I didn't hear of anyone In trouble with bullocks.

None here of either in the spring but did hear on the grapevine that FR's steers which wouldn't meet the grid were a tough sell. Source was reasonably reliable too :undecided:

Back to tomorrow's talks, why oh why are they not announcing the independent chair for the talks?

Is it really that top secret or is there something else going on behind the scenes :scratchhead:

Around christmas & new year .. the aa got green light & my friesians got snubbed (over the phone, wouldn t even come to look) more than once. Butcher is not an option for friesians either..think they were too busy picking up cattle at marts to be bothered.
Just imagine having a shed full of fit friesians with that kind of response

Back to tomorrow's talks, why oh why are they not announcing the independent chair for the talks?

Is it really that top secret or is there something else going on behind the scenes :scratchhead:

Do you think anything will be achieved tommorrow,

Would be a grand job for Bertie

Well he single handedly saved the north..fact..so no need for anybody else either
Your forgetting wee Martin and Gerry;0 - anyways I think its been a mistake to suspend the protests before any results have come of the talks. You can't expect good faith from the factories on any level as reports over the weekend of large numbers being brought in show

Anything over cost plus expenses is profit.Whether you consider that adequate or not depends on you.
When I made the simple observation earlier I didn't expect to be interrogated!
Not an interrogation, just asking for figures to bear out where you consider beef to be profitable, are you eating into SFP, sending a few kids to college, have an off farm job, working wife, mortgage, none of the above.

Back