Opinions on new vehicle van or Crew cab ?

bk1991

So thinking of changeing my car at the moment its 06 has very high milage so it wont last forever plus is up on the 700€ a year to tax plus with the milage its hard on diesel too. I was thinking of changing and looking at either getting a van or a crew Cab jeep. I could do with something for useing about the farm for bringin bits about but if i get a van(looking a vw caddy) im limited on 2 seats and i cant really pull trailer of go off road.
Advantage of the crew cab type jeep is still commercial for tax and i have the extra seats and ability to tow and pop stuff in back . Budget is 15k

What would yer opinions be and what models or years would b got in budget .
Tia

So thinking of changeing my car at the moment its 06 has very high milage so it wont last forever plus is up on the 700€ a year to tax plus with the milage its hard on diesel too. I was thinking of changing and looking at either getting a van or a crew Cab jeep. I could do with something for useing about the farm for bringin bits about but if i get a van(looking a vw caddy) im limited on 2 seats and i cant really pull trailer of go off road.
Advantage of the crew cab type jeep is still commercial for tax and i have the extra seats and ability to tow and pop stuff in back . Budget is 15k

Tia
Are you VAT registered?
If not I would not bother with commercials at all, modern passenger car/jeeps are not a lot dearer to run and less hassle.
Is MPG or towing capacity and off road abilities more important?
Your budget should get you a new Peugeot Partner or Citroen Berlingo, before VAT, 3 seats, good mileage and comfort, poor towing capacity and off road abilities.

Are you VAT registered?
If not I would not bother with commercials at all, modern passenger car/jeeps are not a lot dearer to run and less hassle.
Is MPG or towing capacity and off road abilities more important?
Your budget should get you a new Peugeot Partner or Citroen Berlingo, before VAT, 3 seats, good mileage and comfort, poor towing capacity and off road abilities.

If your after mpg's I wouldn't look at a pickup or crewcab jeep. You'll be very disappointed vs a car or van.

Not vat registered preferable something good for bringing bits about as well as pulling trailer if going for a van id be interested in getting a vw caddy just taught a 4x4 would be handy for farm use . But I know as youv said mpg woulnt be a good point on them . 15k would be max budget Id say i only put some taught into it just trowing it on here get opinions .

Not vat registered preferable something good for bringing bits about as well as pulling trailer if going for a van id be interested in getting a vw caddy just taught a 4x4 would be handy for farm use . But I know as youv said mpg woulnt be a good point on them . 15k would be max budget Id say i only put some taught into it just trowing it on here get opinions .
If you're doing big mileage and any thoughts to mpg I'd stay away from commercial jeeps. They drink it compared to most cars or suvs

Last edited:
Vw

SWB VW Transporter. More comfortable than a Caddy, 3 seats, lighter on diesel than a 4x4 and rated to tow 2500kg

Wev a 04 dmax here 3.0 turbo and we get 32 to 36 mpg every fill d last 2 year we owned it. We do a lot of mixed work with it. Very comfortable jeep i dont know what d 2.5s were like that came after it

Yeah good few 4x4 ones on used cars ni under the 15k mark. Would consider one myself over a small van - too small or a jeep/pickup - too thirsty and expensive.

They dont look bad wonder do they give any problems would they be taxed as commercial or passenger ?

Before you commit to something based on the cheaper commercial tax check out the insurance cost as you may end up paying a lot more.
What are the vw 2.0 amarock ? Couldnt be as hard as a 3.0 on deisel or cud it
Again a crew cab, running a crew cab as a commercial comes with a lot of restrictions if you want to stay within the letter of the law, insurance has to include carraige of own goods, passengers are supposed to be employees in the course of paid work, business use only, the Tiguan in 4wd or the Skoda equivalent taxed private would make more sense in my mind.

They dont look bad wonder do they give any problems would they be taxed as commercial or passenger ?

Is there enough land at home or in outside parcels to justify a jeep... is there currently one at home? Once you get used to one and being able to travel fields in poor weather,comfort pulling a trailer or buy a nice big 12f box for it u will find it hard to ever go back to a van or cat again... outside of the farm work how much milage do u do

Before you commit to something based on the cheaper commercial tax check out the insurance cost as you may end up paying a lot more.
Again a crew cab, running a crew cab as a commercial comes with a lot of restrictions if you want to stay within the letter of the law, insurance has to include carraige of own goods, passengers are supposed to be employees in the course of paid work, business use only, the Tiguan in 4wd or the Skoda equivalent taxed private would make more sense in my mind.

Was just thinking a sussing out insurance first. I havent taught of the tiguan until mentioned on here they look nice there an inbetween a car and jeep but 4x4 ( only the 4 motion ones ? ) what would they pull ?

Is there enough land at home or in outside parcels to justify a jeep... is there currently one at home? Once you get used to one and being able to travel fields in poor weather,comfort pulling a trailer or buy a nice big 12f box for it u will find it hard to ever go back to a van or cat again... outside of the farm work how much milage do u do

No jeep ever on farm its all tractor or walking. Reasoning behind looking at a van or jeep was so i could pull a trailer to collect stuff be in feed or stakes timber steel etc general stuff for farm at the moment iv to go everywhere in tractor and trailer it would b so much handier to be able to go in a van or jeep with trailer to get stuff . I use the neighbours 8x4 behind my passat but no brakes etc etc so not really rsa compliant i plan on trying to pick up a 10x5 or 10x6’6 trailer eventualy i dont like the neighbour borrowing kinda thing cause then obliged to lead other stuff with usualy comes back with something missing etc .

The tiguan looks like a good idea so far

Since 2008 it all comes down to how much you want to tow.

2t is easily gotten in any number of SUVs these days with small tax, my outlander is 290 to tax and only needs a 49 euro nct every two years vs 110 every year for the DOE. As big as a caddy inside and with a set of all terrain tyres will go anywhere you probably should sensibly go.

A Santa fe or kia sorento will be a bit more to tax but will pull 2.5t

Theres nothing really between them and a touareg in terms of reasonable tax and high towing. I think 2011 touaregs are 750 tax with 3.5t capacity. Land rovers, cruisers, pajeros etc are all higher tax for their towing.

If you don't need to be pulling a full cattle trailer or loads of stone then I think SUV is the way to go. I'm on my third and wouldn't go back to feeding a big donkey for the once in a blue moon I used its tow rating

At that budget a newer Hilux should be managable? One with 6 gears.
No figures bit next door rate theirs very highly for mpg

Does any1 here have experience with a 4 motion transporter? I heard they were supposed to be fairly good but i know no1 with first hand experience

Since 2008 it all comes down to how much you want to tow.

2t is easily gotten in any number of SUVs these days with small tax, my outlander is 290 to tax and only needs a 49 euro nct every two years vs 110 every year for the DOE. As big as a caddy inside and with a set of all terrain tyres will go anywhere you probably should sensibly go.

A Santa fe or kia sorento will be a bit more to tax but will pull 2.5t

Theres nothing really between them and a touareg in terms of reasonable tax and high towing. I think 2011 touaregs are 750 tax with 3.5t capacity. Land rovers, cruisers, pajeros etc are all higher tax for their towing.

If you don't need to be pulling a full cattle trailer or loads of stone then I think SUV is the way to go. I'm on my third and wouldn't go back to feeding a big donkey for the once in a blue moon I used its tow rating

Dont need mad towing il let the tractor do that i’m liken the look the tiguan Iv always been a vw person

Does any1 here have experience with a 4 motion transporter? I heard they were supposed to be fairly good but i know no1 with first hand experience
They're lovely to drive but depending on the pilot they have a habit of consuming gearboxes.
A lad on site we are on bought a new one few months ago, 4motion, automatic etc all bells and whistles, €54k
I'd rather a land cruiser at that money

Had one for 3 years,put about 70000 miles on it,with near half of that with a 16ft trailer on,great van,she was 174hp 4 motion,beautiful van to drive and never let me down once,i sold it back to the uk as very unusually they only sold the 4 motion in 130 hp,and only sold the 174 in 2wd,I advertised it in the uk and had 3 calls about it in the first two hours of advertising it.A0086BC5-17C5-4D50-87FC-63A8AB172639.jpeg

Last edited:
Was just thinking a sussing out insurance first. I havent taught of the tiguan until mentioned on here they look nice there an inbetween a car and jeep but 4x4 ( only the 4 motion ones ? ) what would they pull ?

No jeep ever on farm its all tractor or walking. Reasoning behind looking at a van or jeep was so i could pull a trailer to collect stuff be in feed or stakes timber steel etc general stuff for farm at the moment iv to go everywhere in tractor and trailer it would b so much handier to be able to go in a van or jeep with trailer to get stuff . I use the neighbours 8x4 behind my passat but no brakes etc etc so not really rsa compliant i plan on trying to pick up a 10x5 or 10x6’6 trailer eventualy i dont like the neighbour borrowing kinda thing cause then obliged to lead other stuff with usualy comes back with something missing etc .

The tiguan looks like a good idea so far

Plan ahead more, I nearly never collect anything now, delivery charges wouldn't cover the cost of diesel going to collect it and most around here don't charge anything.

Tia

I have an old car similar to yours for commuting to work, €700 tax, it’s very reliable and doesn’t cost anything in depreciation, I also have a 2008 landcruiser. Don’t think I could bring myself to getting rid of the LC.

A mate recently got a 2012 D max 2.5 engine claims it can do 40 MPG + when not towing, if I was buying again I’d go for a crewcab and just have the one yolk.

Back