Grain prices

Credit where credit is due, they nipped it in the bud before the rumour mill would go into over drive.

Am I correct in saying that the malting floor would be a timber floor?

As far as I know it was the steep house that collapsed.

This would be a big tank where barley is soaked in water (I could be wrong).

Very unfortunate for all involved.

An early frost forecast for a large section of the US corn belt from the start of next weekend. If it does happen it will help grain prices.

An early frost forecast for a large section of the US corn belt from the start of next weekend. If it does happen it will help grain prices.
My understanding is it will have a disproportionate effwct as crops are behind due to late planting, is this still the case or is that info out of date? I was listening to some analysis at the time of the pro farmer crop toura and that was their fear at that stage.

My understanding is it will have a disproportionate effwct as crops are behind due to late planting, is this still the case or is that info out of date? I was listening to some analysis at the time of the pro farmer crop toura and that was their fear at that stage.
Yes, because the crops were late to very late sown will cause any early frost to have a bigger impact, but crops have caught up a good bit. If heavy frosts do come on or the 23rd as forecast it would have a big impact on yield.
A lot of "ifs and ands", at the moment but at least it will stop the rot and may cause a good rally. Very unfortunate that we have to depend upon some other farmers misery to see a decent price.

Irish merchants wont be too worried, they have picked up a harvest of cheap grain:no: and are holding cheap stock and well bought forward. Spot maize(dubious quality) to merchant today is under €180, makes the 145 high quality green barley delivered in the gate look, great value

What has changed your mind lately towards native grains, you often spoke about all maize you had bought before?
only reason I bought maize, was because I could never get a merchant to forward sell native grains over a long period of time, maize is all they ever wanted to sell. its a pity really. Was always using native grains but maybe at 50%. Nowadays im hoping to use 100% native grain, as why not support indigenous product.

only reason I bought maize, was because I could never get a merchant to forward sell native grains over a long period of time, maize is all they ever wanted to sell. its a pity really. Was always using native grains but maybe at 50%. Nowadays im hoping to use 100% native grain, as why not support indigenous product.
Did you ever try dealing direct with a grower?

Did you ever try dealing direct with a grower?

most years I am direct dealing with growers but for spot prices at harvest delivery. not many growers interested in selling, up to 24 months in advance, for monthly deliveries.

merchants can also ride the storm of uncertainly, as is happening at present as not many beef lads able to write a cheque, when we cant get animals slaughtered. Big business can carry this, private individuals cant

What has changed your mind lately towards native grains, you often spoke about all maize you had bought before?
Not looking to answer for Ozzy.
Maize has moved massively value wise in relation to Wheat/Barley, last year there was a €20 between maize and wheat, where as in the last couple of weeks maize is actually dearer than wheat.

Not looking to answer for Ozzy.
Maize has moved massively value wise in relation to Wheat/Barley, last year there was a €20 between maize and wheat, where as in the last couple of weeks maize is actually dearer than wheat.

allot of maize into ireland is of dubious quality aswell. if you grind maize into flour its hard to tell the difference without testing. when you see the difference pre rolling, its night and day. Location of where maize was grown also has a major bearing for quality

Also, native barley at €150 is excellent value to a stock farmer, I wont say its excellent value to a beef farmer at this point in time :scratchhead:

allot of maize into ireland is of dubious quality aswell. if you grind maize into flour its hard to tell the difference without testing. when you see the difference pre rolling, its night and day. Location of where maize was grown also has a major bearing for quality

Also, native barley at €150 is excellent value to a stock farmer, I wont say its excellent value to a beef farmer at this point in time :scratchhead:

Regarding the maize, I guess that if I had a couple of stacks of bale silage to spare beyond that which I need for my cattle- it isn’t the best stack that I’d put for sale.....

Regarding the maize, I guess that if I had a couple of stacks of bale silage to spare beyond that which I need for my cattle- it isn’t the best stack that I’d put for sale.....
Not necessary, I would assume the farms sell all their grains like your farm. One big difference there is, there are a number of grades of maize. I'm pretty sure we import no3 usually. No3 would be a good few bushel points below No1 and would also have a much higher percentage of shattered grains allowed. Paper value of maize will say its 14% more energy over barley. I haven't found this to be the case

My Glanbia man reckons green barley will finish up around 135/ton, that certainly would be a very poor price. Anyone hear of a final price yet?

Back