Spring Barley - General Thread

I've nothing cut and with the showers flying around here I won't be doing much for another day or 2. The water ran off the yard here yesterday in 3 different downpours. Not as bad today but a very mixed bag all the same and 2 bits of showers put paid to any notion of turning the key in the combine.

I've nothing cut and with the showers flying around here I won't be doing much for another day or 2. The water ran off the yard here yesterday in 3 different downpours. Not as bad today but a very mixed bag all the same and 2 bits of showers put paid to any notion of turning the key in the combine.
We are only 7 miles apart . I would count today a worse day than yesterday .
It's early yet for spring barley . But the weather lately hasn't been kind to any tillage farming .

We are only 7 miles apart . I would count today a worse day than yesterday .
It's early yet for spring barley . But the weather lately hasn't been kind to any tillage farming .
Aye it's early for around here to be cutting sb. It's a good bit cooler out today then yesterday was but it's not nearly as wet. I spent half of yesterday afternoon dodging showers.

Got another field cut today up until the last two passes of the field until it opened the heavens. Got stopped twice but only for 10 or 15mins each time. Doing well again 3.76 after barley. Moisture was high though at 19.7%. But best be cutting any chance we can.

Nothing cut around here since Thursday and that was at 22-24% moisture.
Heap of showers yesterday and Absolute deluge around three today.
All seems ripe locally and very little cut forecast ain’t great.
Im fed up of it now

Luckily we’ve missed the showers yesterday and today.

Started Planet this afternoon, good flow of grain and the sample looks good. Down around 16-17% this afternoon.

Crops are very beaten down and I’m glad to have a good day to gather them up. They wouldn’t take much more abuse.
The barley is very ripe, it’s brittle and easy to trash compared to other years.

C435B444-A4FA-4F54-A30C-B267298AF45D.jpeg A4725B6E-6535-4C47-A635-FD15CFD81144.jpeg

Luckily we’ve missed the showers yesterday and today.

Started Planet this afternoon, good flow of grain and the sample looks good. Down around 16-17% this afternoon.

Crops are very beaten down and I’m glad to have a good day to gather them up. They wouldn’t take much more abuse.
The barley is very ripe, it’s brittle and easy to trash compared to other years.

View attachment 68965 View attachment 68966
I dont know what to make of planet
Very good yield but the straw is poor unless you spend big to keep it half tidy

Cut 42 acres yesterday, laureate for malting , moisture was 18-20. Trailers still waiting to be tipped but somewhere around 3.5. Happy with it .
Moved to wheat last night and got 5 acres cut before a big shower stopped cutting. Moved one combine to oats and got one tank of wheat cut with the other before the heavens opened again. If tomorrow comes right back to some barley and hopefully back to wheat again tomorrow evening. It’s starting to get tricky with some lodged barley starting to sprout in spots . Really hoping this settled weather comes mid week.

missed all the rain cut 65 acres of wheat today in kilmore Mary Barry's for the lunch also bushelling 69-72 no sign of sprouting.spring barley fit but needs sun to make it easier cutting
You would not have cut around Kilmore last Sunday as I was down there and there was heavy showers. I ate in Keogh’s in Kilmore Quay.

You would not have cut around Kilmore last Sunday as I was down there and there was heavy showers. I ate in Keogh’s in Kilmore Quay.
I ate many lunches in Keoghs when was a full time Rep covering that part of the world. Used to park the car in the church car park across the road.
Nice food in there and as far as I remember a blonde waitress with a good working knowledge of swear words.

I was in Kilmore Quay on my holidays recently. The food in Keogh's was recommended but our attempt to dine there was thwarted by the management's inability to put the Dublin match on the tellybox. I wore a Massey Ferguson cap to disguise myself.

I ate many lunches in Keoghs when was a full time Rep covering that part of the world. Used to park the car in the church car park across the road.
Nice food in there and as far as I remember a blonde waitress with a good working knowledge of swear words.
i don,t think there is a church opposite keoghs :scratchhead:, but there is one opposite mary barrys , maybe they,ve built a church at keoghs since i was there last as attendances are booming down here in wexas

I used to park there too, lovely food in both but you'd want a ton of euro in Mary Barry's for dinner for the five of us. Special occasions usually. Lovely area in general is Kilmore.

With the delays in intakes around here, I got a call at 5 to bring our trailer over to where our man is cutting to keep the combine moving.

It's showers here ever since 2 but he was escaping them up until I went over :blushing:

With the delays in intakes around here, I got a call at 5 to bring our trailer over to where our man is cutting to keep the combine moving.

It's showers here ever since 2 but he was escaping them up until I went over :blushing:
Daltons in Kilkenny which is the boormalt intake didn’t even open today , lucky it wasn’t a cutting day. glad tipp won ..... might even put a tipp flag on the tractor in the morning!!!

Back