Automatic scrapers

podge 23

We have old scrapers here since around the 90 ies so hence need replacing now who are best to get scrapers off dearest/cheapest etc .... ??

Have alfco hydraulic scrapers in 4 passages here since the mid noughties, give a share of trouble, solenoids, ram seals, ram rods, timers, hoses, track, switches etc etc, tbf I think a lot of the issues were with how it was installed, but then it was alfco that set it up, and very easy for the dealer to keep doing call outs and fixing the issue but not the cause if you know what I mean. They’re getting a little worn now and we’ve had issues with them not making the track anymore, the new stuff doesn’t just bolt in. I find it hard to imagine it’s that difficult to punch out a piece of track the same as the original instead of telling you to modify the scraper.

We put up a new shed a few years back priced all the usual suspects and there wasn’t much between any of them, then I was recommended Cowcare rope scrapers went to see 2 sets installed locally that were in a few years, and went directly to cowcare and did the installing them myself and just got our electrician to wire them up. Worked out nearly half the price of the hydraulic (installed) price. It’s been trouble free touch wood, but there’s nothing complicated near slurry so less to go wrong and we find it a nicer shed to walk around to check cows because you’re guaranteed a cow will slip of the track and spray you with muck, no such issue with rope, easier on hooves too and scraper can’t get knocked off the track, it’ll just reverse if it meets something solid.
Safer than chains as well because they don’t have to be tightened once the rope has bedded in

Have dairymaster ones here. The boss put them in in 92. Still going. The brother in law is a engineer is handy at tidying them up. If they all packed up I'd seriously look at a robot type thing

The lely ones that suck it up and let it off into the tank are 25k...only cover a span of 7 bays I think....some money

Have been told that they don't like long passages and ideally you need a tank at either end of the shed. Would love to see one in action.
Really. Things you don't get told. What about the one that don't pick up

Really. Things you don't get told. What about the one that don't pick up
It's the one that scrapes only is what I was on about. One that picks up would be slow you'd imagine. Any cubicle shed would have 100ft passages.

That 1 is only for slats really is it 6600 .it wouldn't be any good to scrape out an 8 foot wide passage ??...

That 1 is only for slats really is it 6600 .it wouldn't be any good to scrape out an 8 foot wide passage ??...
That's what I heard anyway, you hear great stories from the lad wanting to sell but definitely go see one working is what I would say. An automatic machine that spends all day doing a simple job is not great when it breaks down or if there's a power cut. It wouldn't have a hope of clearing the backlog quick enough. Having had a not so great experience with another machine this year I would be wary.

I think those machines are suited to continental systems where they have slats everywhere and a relatively small number of cows.

We're in the process of deciding what scrapers to put in here atm
We have 3 passages 100ft long from 10 to 11ft wide.

Its either the standard hydraulic or the rope ones from cow care.
I'm dead set on the cow care rope ones, can set them to clean every 2 hours and would only cost a fraction to run and none of the hardship of the hydraulic.
Dad not so much, he's thinks the price difference is so much that they couldnt be that great, we also have to dig up a good bit of concrete to get power to where a motor will be - that doesn't bother me.

12200 inc vat for alfco hydraulic ( dairy power 500€ cheaper)
8850 inc vat for cow care rope
We have the grant for them.

It would be one less job for to do during winter and especially calving, just make things that bit easier

We're in the process of deciding what scrapers to put in here atm
We have 3 passages 100ft long from 10 to 11ft wide.

Its either the standard hydraulic or the rope ones from cow care.
I'm dead set on the cow care rope ones, can set them to clean every 2 hours and would only cost a fraction to run and none of the hardship of the hydraulic.
Dad not so much, he's thinks the price difference is so much that they couldnt be that great, we also have to dig up a good bit of concrete to get power to where a motor will be - that doesn't bother me.

12200 inc vat for alfco hydraulic ( dairy power 500€ cheaper)
8850 inc vat for cow care rope
We have the grant for them.

It would be one less job for to do during winter and especially calving, just make things that bit easier

I bought a 2nd hand 5 passage way hydraulic system and never fitted it due to bad feed back,having had chain scrapers in the past I’m keener on rope from dairypower.

I bought a 2nd hand 5 passage way hydraulic system and never fitted it due to bad feed back,having had chain scrapers in the past I’m keener on rope from dairypower.
Hydraulic rope from either dairy power or alfco are 3 or 4 k more and the winches are mounted on the floor where as the cow care ones are mounted on the wall and use pulleys to direct the rope.
According to cow care there rope, when its slack absorbs the moisture - which in turn helps the lifetime of the material it's made from

If you have a half decent electrician they’ll be able to solve any electrical issue should one arise and there’s not a whole pile to go wrong with the rest of the system, our local FRS are agents as well so that’s handy as well.
One farmer I know is using blue nylon rope in one section of a shed. It had lasted well when I saw it and it had a few seasons done, looked a bit frayed but no where near breaking so the proper rope should be no trouble.

I saw Storth scrapers at the ploughing, a rough estimated fitted price for the shed we did came in the same as the price we got for Irish made hydraulic scrapers (which could be even dearer now), a few quick differences I noticed over the cowcare were greaseable pins on steel pulleys V’s nylon non greaseable on cowcare the reduction gearbox on the pulleys looked slightly bigger on the storth and they had the Kevlar type rope and the scraper itself wasn’t galvanized but I’m not sure that’s the end of the world, our chain scrapers weren’t either and wore out long before they rotted! Worth a call imo.

Hydraulic rope from either dairy power or alfco are 3 or 4 k more and the winches are mounted on the floor where as the cow care ones are mounted on the wall and use pulleys to direct the rope.
According to cow care there rope, when its slack absorbs the moisture - which in turn helps the lifetime of the material it's made from
Not meaning to be a ass but would the rope expand and contract when wet and dry??

It would a certain amount I suppose, 4 to 5 years is the life span of the rope the sales man said, depends how often you run it. I might run them every 2 or 3 hours when cows are milking indoors but you might get away with 6 hours when they're dry.
He said most lads in uk who milk indoors would run them every 2 hours and get about 4 years from a rope. That's 365 days a year where as ours would only really be in full time from early November to late feb and dry for a good part of that time too

Seen the lely robot scraper in action probably 25 m passages it was doing 4 I think slats at one end I think just more or less keeps going between charges little and often the owners are delighted with it

Dairy power have an option of wall mounted winches.

I priced dairy power for one side of a shed,2 passages 60m long and they quoted £7.5k,the other side would be cheaper as I wouldn’t need another pump.

Anyone know the price of hydraulic scraper tracking?

found some scrapers nearby and I want to make a silage pusher out of them,wants to be good track though.

Anyone price hydraulic scrapers recently?
Have a dairypower system with two 45ft lengths and considering adding on another 45ft X 10ft channel
Have tried the dealer about another spot on another yard and he's slow to even look at it

I'd give alfco a call. I find the alfo has a better cut off when finished scraping the passage until a cow stands on the magnet and knocks it off the scraper

Back