Ploughing '19

I spoke to a man i know who sells machines for a living. His employer doesn't see the value in having a stand as @gone mentioned above on paper they get a very poor conversion rate.

He said its implements and attachments that sell there.

But he would also agree with gone's assessment that an awful lot of lads get ideas at the ploughing or look over machines to see what they think before contacting a shortlist of dealers in the coming weeks or months.

To that end his employer teams up with another company selling implements and puts a machine on their stand and he represents the brand.

Minimal outlay compared to a full brand exhibit but still getting exposure

Very easy access this morning got in around 930 left at half 1, got fed up bulldozing schoolkids looking at their phones while walking in the middle of the path. The biggest buzz I saw was the aldi tent for the cowboy hats:cowboy:

What way did you go @DCol ?

Annual debate already had about the right route :lol:

Just on the stands, it is not just the big stuff that gone's or humungus views apply to. I know here we looked at a lot of feeding barriers here one year and preferred the Condon ones, we had the name of a local firm which they supplied to that day as well. Probably close to six weeks before they were ordered but a Ploughing Match sale none the less.

Have TFM pulled out altogether then too? Personally I'd have no interest in dealer demo days or indeed the Farm Machinery show now but that's just the nature of our business here.

can I go around in my runners or do I need work boots
Shorts and runners and you wouldn't look out of place. It was a pleasure there today,sitting down on the grass eating icecream with the kids,only sorry I wore my jeans

What way did you go @DCol ?

Annual debate already had about the right route :lol:

Just on the stands, it is not just the big stuff that gone's or humungus views apply to. I know here we looked at a lot of feeding barriers here one year and preferred the Condon ones, we had the name of a local firm which they supplied to that day as well. Probably close to six weeks before they were ordered but a Ploughing Match sale none the less.

Have TFM pulled out altogether then too? Personally I'd have no interest in dealer demo days or indeed the Farm Machinery show now but that's just the nature of our business here.
Bunclody into Ballon, stopped at the Spar on the left before the site for breakfast. Small bit of a queue into the car park but the guards were on the ball.

I spent the afternoon in the ploughing, really just looking at the ploughing, the layout of the ploughing and the way of getting between the stubble and lea ploughing is very convoluted got fed up of being sent around in circles, where there are gates directly across the road from each other you weren't allowed use both and were sent up or down the road, invariably away from where you wanted to go.

I went for a few hours today only because it was so near and to be honest I'd agree with @Arthur 's description of it being a large car boot sale, something I've thought for a long time. It's been 9 years since I was at the ploughing and it could be as long again before I'd make another trip. The only saving grace was the weather, not many times you'd be going about the ploughing in runners.

Along with big name machinery brands missing (other than the few dealers with a few examples) I didn't spot much tillage machinery or did I miss them fighting the crowds?

View attachment 70025 Went today. No bother with traffic, learned a few things too,
A-there is hills in Carlow
B-there is a massive field just below nurney
C-the biggest shock of the day was I even saw rushes near the site.
Enjoyable day, busiest stands were the bars....
A- Mt Leinster we even have a song about it penned by Richie Kavanagh .
B-On the west side of Nurney in Old town there is a massive field once owned by a MAYO man that had to sell it when he burned down the center of Carlow
C-We were out watering those rushes for the last two years so the Leitrim lads would feel at home .

I was there today. I went through stradbally and into Carlow and stayed on the n80 until we were directed onto a side road which brought us around the back of bog mans raunch and led right up to the gate of the ploughing.:clap:No delays coming or going home. Met Nashmach, zetorman98,humding and tractorted. lots of interesting stuff to look at.

A- Mt Leinster we even have a song about it penned by Richie Kavanagh .
B-On the west side of Nurney in Old town there is a massive field once owned by a MAYO man that had to sell it when he burned down the center of Carlow
C-We were out watering those rushes for the last two years so the Leitrim lads would feel at home .

Watering the rushes, that was very thoughtful of you.
It will keep us midlanders from getting homesick. :rolleyes2::rolleyes2:
Just don't over do it ,you don't want to further depress the straw market.

Anyone else see the group of 8 "travelling entrepreneurs" collecting money for the homeless. I should have got the guards on to them. Disgusting

Who had the nicer scones, the Judean People's Front or the People's Front of Judea?
:lol: I had the jumper in one hand a nice collection of brochures in the other one was offering me a bag I was tempted to take it and turn it inside out. There were a fair few lads over 50 who got caught unexpected with the heat and removed their shirts, casually walking around in the former white vest they bought back in 1993 :tongue:

Anyone else see the group of 8 "travelling entrepreneurs" collecting money for the homeless. I should have got the guards on to them. Disgusting
Did get approached by one individual on that mission, gave him the deaf ear.

Back