Field Gate

Have been toying with the idea of replacing the gates on the entrance to the house and yard here as they are long past their best.
I like the idea of the traditional style field gate with the hoop in it as was shown in some of @whichwire pictures, they are/were very common here in Mourne.
But I have been thinking of automating them to keep the undesireables out and the toddlers in. I hate automatic gates with a passion but now understand they have a purpose and am reluctantly having to accept that I maybe need them, where do you deal for the likes of the automation stuff and is any type of system better than others? They will have to open in and can only really go back through 90 degrees

Faac stuff is good, have used it on a couple of jobs for friends etc not mental money either, €1100 for complete kit including gsm unit iirc. Beware of the Chinese stuff mostly pure crap

Have been toying with the idea of replacing the gates on the entrance to the house and yard here as they are long past their best.
I like the idea of the traditional style field gate with the hoop in it as was shown in some of @whichwire pictures, they are/were very common here in Mourne.
But I have been thinking of automating them to keep the undesireables out and the toddlers in. I hate automatic gates with a passion but now understand they have a purpose and am reluctantly having to accept that I maybe need them, where do you deal for the likes of the automation stuff and is any type of system better than others? They will have to open in and can only really go back through 90 degrees

I’ve came automation on my gates,same as my bro and uncle next door,been on 11 years now and been excellent.

I’ve dial to open controllers so I can open from anywhere with a phone signal.

I’ve came automation on my gates,same as my bro and uncle next door,been on 11 years now and been excellent.

I’ve dial to open controllers so I can open from anywhere with a phone signal.
Both came and faac are Italian and decent stuff. Bft would be another one. As the lads said keep away from Chinese or Asian stuff in general as quality can be very variable

Only found this thread :)

@lough , T section steel is still around but not all stock holders would have it, Thompson butler steel in Roscommon would.

My dad has a collection of old gates, I see them every weekend and one day a lad walked in looking for a brand new one made.... Been making them on and off since. The real traditional ones, we make out of mostly 40x8 flat. We use some 40x20 box at the bottom to stiffen it up. Less ornamental ones are made from all 40x20 box and I made one heavy duty one from 50x50 box frame and 50x25 rails. Hardly use much square box on them but that's just me being fussy.
Resized_0007_91fa09_6a181add01864fd0a8f685f4babbb5demv2_d_4000_3000_s_4_2-1500x998.jpg
Resized_0007_BSEG05-1500x998.jpg
ResizedManor-1500x998.jpg

What width is the gate in the first photo?

Only found this thread :)

@lough , T section steel is still around but not all stock holders would have it, Thompson butler steel in Roscommon would.

My dad has a collection of old gates, I see them every weekend and one day a lad walked in looking for a brand new one made.... Been making them on and off since. The real traditional ones, we make out of mostly 40x8 flat. We use some 40x20 box at the bottom to stiffen it up. Less ornamental ones are made from all 40x20 box and I made one heavy duty one from 50x50 box frame and 50x25 rails. Hardly use much square box on them but that's just me being fussy.
Resized_0007_91fa09_6a181add01864fd0a8f685f4babbb5demv2_d_4000_3000_s_4_2-1500x998.jpg
Resized_0007_BSEG05-1500x998.jpg
ResizedManor-1500x998.jpg

Wow, they are beautiful. You could have a very busy business there if you wanted I’d say (maybe you already have!!)

A gateway from a yard leading out to fields on an outlying farm.
The gate was 10' straight run into it, but the ground is sloping leaving it awkward.
The pier that it closes to was about 4' wide by 2'
So a bit of a session with the consaw and Kango ( A Bit like Evenflow :rolleyes2::rolleyes2:) gained 2'
Will extend the gate now.
20190927_103458.jpg
20190927_103513.jpg
Spot The reinforcement :scratchhead:
20190927_103527.jpg

A gateway from a yard leading out to fields on an outlying farm.
The gate was 10' straight run into it, but the ground is sloping leaving it awkward.
The pier that it closes to was about 4' wide by 2'
So a bit of a session with the consaw and Kango ( A Bit like Evenflow :rolleyes2::rolleyes2:) gained 2'
Will extend the gate now.
View attachment 70359
View attachment 70360
Spot The reinforcement :scratchhead:
View attachment 70361
I'd swear you knew where that concrete block was before you cut it.

I mentioned in here how much I like a proper old gate, but sometimes needs must too.

I like to think that the cable ties add a touch of professionalism to the job.

Gotta build me some concrete piers

Attachments

• 20191020_125441-01.jpeg
    20191020_125441-01.jpeg
    566.7 KB · Views: 121
  • 20191020_125346-01.jpeg
    20191020_125346-01.jpeg
    706.8 KB · Views: 121
I mentioned in here how much I like a proper old gate, but sometimes needs must too.

I like to think that the cable ties add a touch of professionalism to the job.

Gotta build me some concrete piers

I’m really struggling to hit the like button there John...:smile:

In fairness you could could have made a bit of an effort, twine isn’t that dear.

I’m really struggling to hit the like button there John...:smile:

In fairness you could could have made a bit of an effort, twine isn’t that dear.

Tis hard to like alright.

But cable ties are vastly superior to twine.

That's not two gates tied together, it's a single (extremely ugly) gate.

Back