Chainsaw thread who got what?

I have a pair of those and never wear them. They are the most uncomfortable boot. For chainsaw work, I prefer something that my feet can breath in.

I've worn them a few times now for a couple of hours at a time & I find them grand.
They are fairly heavy & the sizes seem bigger than usual, which means I wear 2 pairs of thick socks for a better fit, maybe that's helping with the comfort.

Old IBC,s are handy for transporting timber . I can fill them with the bucket of the loader . Does TAMS cover patio doors so I can land them in near to the stove as a conversation piece.

5D77A753-D866-4EF0-915E-AB52BE62B8BD.jpeg
42132F91-25D6-4CC1-A01B-78D450EB68B6.jpeg

I split my timber and throw it on to vented bulk bags.stack these in the open shed and load them out as required, mostly for sale

I split my timber and throw it on to vented bulk bags.stack these in the open shed and load them out as required, mostly for sale
I tried that but I could not fill them with a loader even after making a jig to keep them open . I have number (1) Redrock filled with split timber for winter 2023 .

Availability of timber will become an issue I reckon. At the moment it won't pay to buy timber,process it and sell it,unless u like working very very cheap.
All u might have left out of it would be a pile of sawdust

Availability of timber will become an issue I reckon. At the moment it won't pay to buy timber,process it and sell it,unless u like working very very cheap.
All u might have left out of it would be a pile of sawdust
Burning their own timber will be more worthwhile anyhow.

If theres no carbon tax on it, it should become a more attractive fuel. Might not be good for the tree population.

The carbon tax is only going to put 5c more on a litre of oil, so i don't think it will be that bad. If you use 1000 litres of oil a year, its an extra 50 euros.

They're doing this because we wont meet out 2020 emissions targets. But that's not tackling the root cause of the problem. We are still not going to meet targets and we will still be fined. More tax won't fix the problem, its just a means of paying the fines. Wind is improving the situation, we get about 3 times as much electricity from wind as we do from peat now. But the main source of electricity, (45%), is natural gas.

In my opinion, they would have been better off it they had put this tax on 10 years ago, pooled the money into a fund, and now be using the money to offer grants to homeowners to install solar panels, etc. Lack of foresight is the problem.

Its not about cutting out fossil fuels, more weaning us off them.

Asked if anyone has a big old stihl lying about
There must be a few .non runner is fine
Probably better trying to find a forestry forum and ask on there! Especially when your looking for that size of saw, it’s not exactly your average users sort of machine. The old 039 we had here was a fair tank of a yoke so an 084 must be massive altogether

Any tips on getting/keeping saws running sweet?
My little stihl stalls as you try the throttle,flick the choke down a bit and sometimes you can get it to run,very frustrating.

Any tips on getting/keeping saws running sweet?
My little stihl stalls as you try the throttle,flick the choke down a bit and sometimes you can get it to run,very frustrating.
Sounds like a jet in the carb is getting blocked, the choke being partially on helps running in this case. Also may have the air/fuel mix on the carb too weak.

Big saws like that are hard got except new.i have a still 660 ,the size below an 880.
I have a 36" bar on it mostly which its able for though it would not do that much cutting as not many trees require it.
I also have a 25" bar for sawing up average size tree trunks and it's an animal to go with it.more than an inch per second in say 18" logs.the 880 would be too heavy for any general work imv.
I bought my 660 s/h but the engine had to be reconditioned a while later and tbh I was near the price of a new one then.
Though maybe I have a better simpler saw

Anybody bought a battery saw. @Treemover I know you mentioned your next saw would be battery. I tend to only use saw for short periods so battery might work well but very mixed reviews out there.

I havent gone battery, but my next saw will be. My last 2 saws are echo top handled. I wouldnt touch a new husky or stihl with autotunes.

The only saw envy i have is a husky 390. I have a 357xp and a 395xp but id put the 390 in the same weight n size as a 365/372 just with more power.

I can see myself buying one. The 395 is heavy if your lugging it all day.

A 365 or 372xp are two great mid sized saws. I had a 372 until it got nicked.

That said the 357xp is a great small saw.

I have countless (i think i have 5!!) Small ms171 stihls and would rate them. These are v small but still very capable.

I havent gone battery, but my next saw will be. My last 2 saws are echo top handled. I wouldnt touch a new husky or stihl with autotunes.

The only saw envy i have is a husky 390. I have a 357xp and a 395xp but id put the 390 in the same weight n size as a 365/372 just with more power.

I can see myself buying one. The 395 is heavy if your lugging it all day.

A 365 or 372xp are two great mid sized saws. I had a 372 until it got nicked.

That said the 357xp is a great small saw.

I have countless (i think i have 5!!) Small ms171 stihls and would rate them. These are v small but still very capable.

I have a Husky 346 ? XP . 7 odd years old.
Great saw for the bit of use I give it.

Would you rate the Echo as good / better than a Husky ?

Back