DIY Calving Camera?

It’s the latter I’m thinking of for here .

You could set it up very simply.
The sensor on it would detect every person or vehicle that passed. It would take a picture of them or else it would take a short video of them. You can set it to email you a notification of when the sensor is triggered and you can look at what's recorded on the memory card through the app or else you can look at what's live on the camera.

Parcel Motel? Very easy to set up an account.

id be wary of parcel motel. I bought computer parts and they never arrived i was more or less told to shove it they kept saying they had me on camera picking them up. Money lost and all of a sudden they dont offer insurance on lost goods

Camera set up. For a cheap camera, it was very easy. It has a great picture, easy to move and has good night vision.

Screenshot_20191011-201411.png

Interesting 1st post @Angus101 , you wouldn’t be linked to that crowd you mention by any chance? Purchased original calving camera system from them. Quality only fair. Didn’t use for new system and much happier with what I have now
I would agree with using the totolinks, we had a system with the ubiquiti nano stations - complete disaster, always failing, having to reboot them etc, I know a few other lads with same problem, I think they are only good for about 100 or 200 meters despite what the package says. We gog the totolink transmitter / receiver systems from www.equicom.ie not the cheapest, but 3 years on all is working well.

One thing about my new camera its excellent in the dark.:Thumbp2:

for the money it really is good,thanks @muckymanor :Thumbp2:

Well it was! :rolleyes2:
Schoolboy error,I was wiring it up so I could keep an eye on the umbilical pump from the tractor,being 12v I thought I’ll power it from the tractor,unfortunately I got the polarity wrong on the plug and it’s dead.:curse:

Taken it apart and can’t see anything obvious.:scratchhead:

Well it was! :rolleyes2:
Schoolboy error,I was wiring it up so I could keep an eye on the umbilical pump from the tractor,being 12v I thought I’ll power it from the tractor,unfortunately I got the polarity wrong on the plug and it’s dead.:curse:

Taken it apart and can’t see anything obvious.:scratchhead:

these yokes are made so cheapely now every corner is cut literally to save pittance, they're should be diodes on the input to protect against incorrect polarity, if not it's most likely fried

any smoke or smell of burning?

these yokes are made so cheapely now every corner is cut literally to save pittance, they're should be diodes on the input to protect against incorrect polarity, if not it's most likely fried

any smoke or smell of burning?
No smoke or burning just dead.

I've bought another off ebay ,£28 they must be making them for sub £10 in China.

Technology is getting cheaper. Am setting this up for a friend next week. Just plugged it in in the kitchen last night to see what it's like. Lovely clear camera. Simplest set up I have ever seen. A very simple app to access the camera. Great night vision. Great zoom.

Also has a memory card slot. It can be set up so that it's built in motion detection will take pictures or video once it detects movement and you can access the pictures through your phone.

View attachment 70532

Hi Mucky, Would you recommend these over the Sricam? have 3 sricams which I find good but need 1-2 more. Would it be worth trying these or stick with Sricam do you think?

Hi Mucky, Would you recommend these over the Sricam? have 3 sricams which I find good but need 1-2 more. Would it be worth trying these or stick with Sricam do you think?

One of my scicams broke after 2 winters use. It would not rotate. These are one third of the price of scicam and picture quality is just as good and it is easier to set up. Better night vision too.

One of my scicams broke after 2 winters use. It would not rotate. These are one third of the price of scicam and picture quality is just as good and it is easier to set up. Better night vision too.
Fair enough so I may give them a go. cheers.

Just order one of these cameras, ill be setting it up over the Xmas just wondering other than power, is there any other cabling etc that i need to order? Or is it simple plug and play?

Just order one of these cameras, ill be setting it up over the Xmas just wondering other than power, is there any other cabling etc that i need to order? Or is it simple plug and play?
Plug and play. Once you have an electrical socket in the shed and wifi, it's simple. Set it up in the kitchen at home before you screw it to the shed wall.
One thing to note is that the power cord on it is quite short. You can order longer ones or it might be cheaper to get an extension lead if the camera is not going near the plug.

Plug and play. Once you have an electrical socket in the shed and wifi, it's simple. Set it up in the kitchen at home before you screw it to the shed wall.
One thing to note is that the power cord on it is quite short. You can order longer ones or it might be cheaper to get an extension lead if the camera is not going near the plug.
Hope to stick the one up here over the Christmas as well. Only issue I might have is strong enough WiFi in the yard . Is there a way I could boost the signal coming from the house. House is other side of a public road .

Hope to stick the one up here over the Christmas as well. Only issue I might have is strong enough WiFi in the yard . Is there a way I could boost the signal coming from the house. House is other side of a public road .

I'm no expert on wifi - there are others here more knowledgable than me. But I think you can get a wifi repeater that will send extend the power of your wifi. I have one inside in the house at home that will send it upstairs, but you can get a more powerful outdoor one I believe.

Looking for advice on a calving camera setup;

We have had an IP camera running for the last few years. It was connected to the broadband in the house via a cat 5 cable. The shed is about 200m from the house but we don't have a clear line of sight. The broadband here is poor so there was a lot of lagging. The connection dropped at end of last Spring so I think the NVR box could be the problem as I had to replace one a few years ago as well. To compound matters further, a new pup chewed and cut the cat 5 cable recently so at the moment we are offline and before I go about trying to rejoin the cable or re-lay the whole cable, I'm assessing my options!

I was thinking of getting a mobile dongle and topping up monthly rather than continuing with the cable set up because the broadband here is so slow. What set up would people here recommend?

Also, are there any places to buy NVR boxes rather than online? I want to try to get this sorted over the next week before calving starts! Based in Co Cork..

Would appreciate any advice.

Cheers.

Looking for advice on a calving camera setup;

We have had an IP camera running for the last few years. It was connected to the broadband in the house via a cat 5 cable. The shed is about 200m from the house but we don't have a clear line of sight. The broadband here is poor so there was a lot of lagging. The connection dropped at end of last Spring so I think the NVR box could be the problem as I had to replace one a few years ago as well. To compound matters further, a new pup chewed and cut the cat 5 cable recently so at the moment we are offline and before I go about trying to rejoin the cable or re-lay the whole cable, I'm assessing my options!

I was thinking of getting a mobile dongle and topping up monthly rather than continuing with the cable set up because the broadband here is so slow. What set up would people here recommend?

Also, are there any places to buy NVR boxes rather than online? I want to try to get this sorted over the next week before calving starts! Based in Co Cork..

Would appreciate any advice.

Cheers.

Dongle used here in one shed. Old android phone used in another shed and set on hotpot. Used with tesco mobile. 15 euro top up for the first month to get unlimited data. Then use the 15 euro to buy 1 gb of data every month for months 2, 3 and 4. 30 euro in total will work it for 8 months.

Is there much difference in buying the little bit more expensive Chinese cameras? I have been bought a Dericam camera (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dericam-...330328?hash=item593500bd98:g:4KsAAOSwsFJdiNs8) for Christmas but I'm in the middle of setting it up. I have set it up handy enough in the house but I've quite a large cattle shed aprox. 300 ft away with some line of sight (tree branches), so if anyone could recommend a good transmitter/ repeater it'd also be welcomed.

Is there much difference in buying the little bit more expensive Chinese cameras? I have been bought a Dericam camera (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dericam-...330328?hash=item593500bd98:g:4KsAAOSwsFJdiNs8) for Christmas but I'm in the middle of setting it up. I have set it up handy enough in the house but I've quite a large cattle shed aprox. 300 ft away with some line of sight (tree branches), so if anyone could recommend a good transmitter/ repeater it'd also be welcomed.
I had one of these set up transmitting the WiFi signal around 75m and into the middle of a shed so the sheets would have been blocking direct line of sight, worked fine and easy to set up. It worked grand for viewing the camera, it took a few seconds for the pan/tilt/zoom commands to get to the camera but that was possibly also the camera I was using as it was fairly crappy

it can do up to 5km but you need one at each end for that to work and relatively clear line of sight I think

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.ie/ulk/itm/111477636831

I had one of these set up transmitting the WiFi signal around 75m and into the middle of a shed so the sheets would have been blocking direct line of sight, worked fine and easy to set up. It worked grand for viewing the camera, it took a few seconds for the pan/tilt/zoom commands to get to the camera but that was possibly also the camera I was using as it was fairly crappy

it can do up to 5km but you need one at each end for that to work and relatively clear line of sight I think

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.ie/ulk/itm/111477636831

Thanks Drew, I've seen that one in some reviews as well so I might try it. Did you need multiple ones or where abouts did you position it?

Thanks Drew, I've seen that one in some reviews as well so I might try it. Did you need multiple ones or where abouts did you position it?
I just had a single one broadcasting a WiFi signal. It worked ok but I’d say any greater of a distance it would be less jumpy and less lag with 2 units.

I had it on the side of the house beside 2nd floor window and it was working grand, could get WiFi in most of the yard with it on the phone too

Is it possible to put an existing calving camera onto my phone ? It's worked with cable from the house to the calving shed ?..

Back