Brexit

Apart from the hedge funds, asset management firms and banks reheadquartering in Dublin, along with other FDI in alternative fields.

Also, we will be the only native English speaking country in the EU, in a prime position to be the link between the US and the EU.

As Sean Lemass once said, a rising tide lifts all boats.
The Saudis are now wanting to sell their oil in Euros so the Americans may not be so friendly to the EU as they try to hold onto their world reserve currency status.
The Germans and French will cooperate much more with each other, which could potentially leave us out in the cold.
When we were governed from London we had 18% of the votes in the Commons, now with the EU we have less than 1%. That's ifa vote in the EU parliament was worth a flying flamingo!
We could really do with a leader with a longer term vision rather than what job he's going to get in the UN when he's ticked off this part of his CV. As the French say 'Apres moi, le deluge'.

When we were governed from London we had 0% of the votes. The planted elite were gerrymandered to supposedly represent us.
Let’s not rewrite history.
You including the Irish Parliamentary Party and before that the Home Rule party in that swathing generalisation? They had 70 odd seats out of 100 in 1910. The Tenant Purchase Acts Old Age Pensions Act 1908 and the Home Rule bill were some of their achievements, peacefully achieved.

The Saudis are now wanting to sell their oil in Euros so the Americans may not be so friendly to the EU as they try to hold onto their world reserve currency status.
The Germans and French will cooperate much more with each other, which could potentially leave us out in the cold.
When we were governed from London we had 18% of the votes in the Commons, now with the EU we have less than 1%. That's ifa vote in the EU parliament was worth a flying flamingo!
We could really do with a leader with a longer term vision rather than what job he's going to get in the UN when he's ticked off this part of his CV. As the French say 'Apres moi, le deluge'.
Why would German French cooperation leave us out in the cold, they are certainly standing behind us at the moment despite what a lot of cynics predicted.

I'd agree with the Franco German cooperation. They're definitely getting more chummy alright, but I don't see how it's in their interest to "leave us out in the cold". In fact, when Priti Patel was on about starving us to get their way, it was Merkel gave us a bit of backing over the border.

There are also 24 other countries in the EU to do business with.

My 4th year thesis was on subsea risers for offshore oil and gas. The bill that would have shafted the Saudis was called NOPEC ironically. They've been trying to pass it since 2000 and never did. The idea of the bill was that they would be able to stop OPEC countries artificially inflating the price.

Now that its the US and not the Saudis who are the world's largest oil producer, its not really in their interest to restrict prices. Secondly that was Saudi Arabia willy waving about what they would do in the case the bill did pass.

Don't agree with the commons logic. Before moaning about how you're "impeded" by EU law, it may be worth brushing up on the penal laws. (no offense intended to our British colleagues, we need to be cognisant of our history but not bound by it)

It was a non farming friend of mine that informed me of the reason for the slurry ban for example.

The EU didn't ban us spreading slurry. They told us improve the water quality. So the Irish government decided to ban slurry spreading over the winter, and save it for the other 9 months of the year. The reasoning for which can be seen from the linked article from January 1999.

(Mind you I can't comment on how bad the situation was because I'm fairly confident I was probably in nappies in January 1999.)

I know it has been controversial, and with bad weather it's difficult. But mind you I don't think I'd like the taste of cowshite.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/slurry-danger-to-water-supplies-1.142757?mode=amp

You including the Irish Parliamentary Party and before that the Home Rule party in that swathing generalisation? They had 70 odd seats out of 100 in 1910. The Tenant Purchase Acts Old Age Pensions Act 1908 and the Home Rule bill were some of their achievements, peacefully achieved.

The Irish parliamentary party is an extremely poor example. They were ignored and frustrated on their one objective of home rule. That in turn led to the Easter rising and the rise of Sinn Fein.

Why would German French cooperation leave us out in the cold, they are certainly standing behind us at the moment despite what a lot of cynics predicted.

I'd agree with the Franco German cooperation. They're definitely getting more chummy alright, but I don't see how it's in their interest to "leave us out in the cold". In fact, when Priti Patel was on about starving us to get their way, it was Merkel gave us a bit of backing over the border.

There are also 24 other countries in the EU to do business with.

Once Brexit has been sorted in whatever way it will be we will no longer be useful to them. We don't speak their language. Both countries are either in or heading for recession. Deutsche Bank is a zombie and will need a huge bailout which we will have to pay into, AGAIN.
In last weeks budget we increased our contribution to the EU budget from €2.5 to €3.5 billion, we also committed to spending €837 million on 'foreign aid'. To put that in context our capital spending budget for the year is only €9 billion and the national debt is €206 billion and the annual tax revenue is €58 billion.

We are bending over so far for them, meanwhile you still pay 48.5% tax on earnings over €35k. The EU model of high tax and big wasteful government doesn't work. Sorry for not wanting to continue with it.

The Irish parliamentary party is an extremely poor example. They were ignored and frustrated on their one objective of home rule. That in turn led to the Easter rising and the rise of Sinn Fein.
Let's leave that one there, its too late to get into. Things are never as simple as a one line. WWI had a massive change on things. They achieved more than their share of the 18% of the votes, some very radical changes, it can't be argued that there wasn't a democracy then. It was an example to illustrate my point that we now have less than 1% of the votes in a parliament that doesn't have any executive power and are probably less well represented now than 100 years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Parliamentary_Party#Home_Rule_succeeds

When we were governed from London we had 18% of the votes in the Commons, now with the EU we have less than 1%.

No, you have 100% representation in your own sovereign parliament.

Anyway, It looks like when the brexiteers said the EU would cave in to all our demands at the last minute, they actually meant that the UK would cave in to all their demands at the last minute.

Once Brexit has been sorted in whatever way it will be we will no longer be useful to them. We don't speak their language. Both countries are either in or heading for recession. Deutsche Bank is a zombie and will need a huge bailout which we will have to pay into, AGAIN.
In last weeks budget we increased our contribution to the EU budget from €2.5 to €3.5 billion, we also committed to spending €837 million on 'foreign aid'. To put that in context our capital spending budget for the year is only €9 billion and the national debt is €206 billion and the annual tax revenue is €58 billion.

We are bending over so far for them, meanwhile you still pay 48.5% tax on earnings over €35k. The EU model of high tax and big wasteful government doesn't work. Sorry for not wanting to continue with it.

Tax revenue is, as of late, larger than public spending, which I know for a fact was north of 70 billion last year. Therefor tax revenue is a lot higher than 58 billion.

Secondly, I'd agree the top rate of tax is too high, but in the 1980s it was north of 60 percent. That has nothing to do with the EU.

Given we have had pretty much 10 years of economic growth, in fact the longest in history in the US, we are basically due a recession whether we like it or not. That's basic economics. There's been 11 since the 1930s.

We get more then 2 billion of the 3.5 back
Gdp would be lower without it, and by default we would have lower tax revenues. Pulling the plug on that would be like eating your seed potatoes. Look at all that has been invested by the EU in Ireland to date.

The national debt is a big issue but every country is in the same boat. Britain's debt has crossed 2 trillion lately.

I don't know anything about deutsche bank so I won't comment on that.

Tax revenue is, as of late, larger than public spending, which I know for a fact was north of 70 billion last year. Therefor tax revenue is a lot higher than 58 billion.

Secondly, I'd agree the top rate of tax is too high, but in the 1980s it was north of 60 percent. That has nothing to do with the EU.

Given we have had pretty much 10 years of economic growth, in fact the longest in history in the US, we are basically due a recession whether we like it or not. That's basic economics. There's been 11 since the 1930s.

We get more then 2 billion of the 3.5 back
Gdp would be lower without it, and by default we would have lower tax revenues. Pulling the plug on that would be like eating your seed potatoes. Look at all that has been invested by the EU in Ireland to date.

The national debt is a big issue but every country is in the same boat. Britain's debt has crossed 2 trillion lately.

I don't know anything about deutsche bank so I won't comment on that.

€58 billion is the correct figure, spending is either more than or equal to income every year.

Attachments

• Estimates of Receipts and Expenditure for the Year Ending 31 December 2020.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 10

well quite. If ever you wanted an object lesson in the advantages of being part of a large and influential trading block, then this is it. It's a mistake when brexiteers think the EU are plotting to keep the UK in the union, the best outcome from their point of view now would be for us to leave with some sort of acceptable (to the eu) deal and good riddance to us , the fact that they've put Ireland's interests above the EU's interest in simply getting an obstreperous UK out of the door as quickly as possible is a clear indicator of EU membership working exactly as it should for Ireland.

I can not understand how every one is jump up and down about a deal to night .No one has said the DUP signed up to this and if anyone is going to wreck this ,it is going to be them .Boris will be short some votes to get this trough westminister anyway ,suely it is time Sinn Fein grew a pair!!!!

Did Labour not say they will back it with a confirmatory referendum attached, I would think that is the most likely scenario now. As to what the customs arrangements are in NI it seems small scale smuggling will be fine just dont do too mucj.

And I think the ERG said they would use the DUP as a barometer of whether or not they would agree with a potential deal.

I don’t expect it to pass in parliament so second referendum here we come...

And I think the ERG said they would use the DUP as a barometer of whether or not they would agree with a potential deal.

I don’t expect it to pass in parliament so second referendum here we come...

Which could well lead to another vote for Brexit, so what then!

Which could well lead to another vote for Brexit, so what then!

Two options at that stage could be: Hard Brexit (because a deal can’t be finalised)

or

stay in EU (with an undertaking to hold another vote at a future time).

It needs 318, (325 minus the 7 SF) votes to pass. 288 conservatives. They won't get any votes from the DUP, lib dems, green, plaid cymru, or SNP I'd imagine.

They need 20 Labour votes from their 244 to pass so. Not impossible.

The DUP are really holding them to ransom. To use the phrase the tories described Ireland with during the negotiations, its like the tail wagging the dog.

I hear no mention of the 39 billion surprisingly. They're still probably paying it, just keeping their mouth shut about it.

I hear no mention of the 39 billion surprisingly. They're still probably paying it, just keeping their mouth shut about it.

The number will have reduced as time has gone on, but yes I think that was not just non negotiable, but I don't even think it was seriously being argued, it's the UK making good on things it committed to fund while still a member.

The number will have reduced as time has gone on, but yes I think that was not just non negotiable, but I don't even think it was seriously being argued, it's the UK making good on things it committed to fund while still a member.

True, I don't think the government was arguing it really. More those advocating no deal.

Back