Grass Direct Drilling Advice Where did I go wrong ?

Well well well, someone didnt READ THE FU##ING LABLE.
I not going to quote anything from it but you should ALL read it.
Put Forefront T in your search engines lads its out there for everyone to read.
Coral Plant, take your bill for BOTH jobs and insist your client pays it, take him to small claims court.

Ritchie

Well well well, someone didnt READ THE FU##ING LABLE.
I not going to quote anything from it but you should ALL read it.
Put Forefront T in your search engines lads its out there for everyone to read.
Coral Plant, take your bill for BOTH jobs and insist your client pays it, take him to small claims court.

Ritchie

Genuinely interested in this as always thought the residual activity of forefront t was a bit scary!

However from reading the label I didn’t see any reason why a grass reseed would fail because the product was applied to the previous sward. What have I missed?

It does seem an awful waste of money to use forefront on a field that will get glyphosate in the near future

Reading the label its basically saying ( sow only cereal crops after this application )
Big seeds with plenty of energy.
Its not ment to be cut for silage, hay until the following season, its ment for pastures that are grazed ONLY.
Mixedbag, im with you all the way there, no point in applying Forefront T and then waste the benifit by spraying you sward off with Glyphosate.
Some of the Sulphonyl Urea are also useless for reseeding after, they need 365 days between application and following with new grass

Ritchie

Last edited:
Got a job coming up direct drilling Festolium in for a lad. Wants it for silage ground and will likely winter cattle in it for a short while.

Wondering is it worth doing two passes just for a fast groing grass on silage ground?

Recons on geting 3 years from it.

Got a job coming up direct drilling Festolium in for a lad. Wants it for silage ground and will likely winter cattle in it for a short while.

Wondering is it worth doing two passes just for a fast groing grass on silage ground?

Recons on geting 3 years from it.
trail time:Thumbp2::Thumbp2:
half field full rate 1 pass
other 2 half rate passes

Update on field
(1. Pre mowing farmer sprayed off sward with ForeFrontT.
2. After mowing sprayed off with roundup
3. Farmer not happy with kill so sprayed again with roundup.)

1. Sprayed off again with roundup. Roughly 03/04/19
2. Disced 3 times by ourselves on 13/04/19
3. Reseeded by another outfit before 20/04/19.
4. Below are the pictures on 04/06/19 so give or take 55 days.

Thoughts on results? Pics are 04/04/19.
No ploughing mentioned?

Said would trow my 10c in. We have done a few fields now by direct drilling. At it a few years now but as the time goes on seems to be getting harder and longer for it to take properly. We done a field in July and have only grazed it 1st time this week. It was sprayed off with about a 1200 cover of grass. Kill was great. We mowed it off then. Lime was applied then contractor disked in. Was rolled with the heaviest roller we could get. Got 10-10-20 and slug pellets also. Rained a few days after and on and off since. Grass took ages to come soon as it was peeping up I went in with can then. there is a patch where I will have to trow some seed on now again. Back years ago when we started doing it this way it took well but now a days seems ploughing is the only way. Maybe we were to early sowing?? I don't know! Conditions were ideal and I prefer to have the grass up and grazed before the winter sets in. I like direct drilling once ground is level as it holds animals better.

Said would trow my 10c in. We have done a few fields now by direct drilling. At it a few years now but as the time goes on seems to be getting harder and longer for it to take properly. We done a field in July and have only grazed it 1st time this week. It was sprayed off with about a 1200 cover of grass. Kill was great. We mowed it off then. Lime was applied then contractor disked in. Was rolled with the heaviest roller we could get. Got 10-10-20 and slug pellets also. Rained a few days after and on and off since. Grass took ages to come soon as it was peeping up I went in with can then. there is a patch where I will have to trow some seed on now again. Back years ago when we started doing it this way it took well but now a days seems ploughing is the only way. Maybe we were to early sowing?? I don't know! Conditions were ideal and I prefer to have the grass up and grazed before the winter sets in. I like direct drilling once ground is level as it holds animals better.

When you say disked. As in a disk drill (more or similar) or you disked the field to bury the lime?

Direct drilling does struggle in dry conditions I think.
Did you clear the mowed grass?

When you say disked. As in a disk drill (more or similar) or you disked the field to bury the lime?

Direct drilling does struggle in dry conditions I think.
Did you clear the mowed grass?
No sorry it was sowed with a horsh disk drill. Ya I know it needs rain but it wasn't that dried out or anything.

Reactions: AYF
No sorry it was sowed with a horsh disk drill. Ya I know it needs rain but it wasn't that dried out or anything.
Any difference in seed type over the years?

I have learnt (the hard way) that certain types have a larger seed. So the kg/ac is the same but far less plants actually establish making it look terrible.
They were calling it a high sugar mix.

We get the seed from the same suppliers the hole time. It usually a grazing or silage and grazing. Seed size I have never noticed before now.

Any difference in seed type over the years?

I have learnt (the hard way) that certain types have a larger seed. So the kg/ac is the same but far less plants actually establish making it look terrible.
They were calling it a high sugar mix.
High sugar grass mixtures are grown on land of between 6.8 and 7.2 ph anything more acidic and your wasting your time even thinking of growing them, you wont get the yield or the life out of it.
Go to the trails and see for yourselfs.
Some of the reasearch prove they are less palatable than conventional varieties for grazing.

Ritchie

Well lads was going to chain harrow silage field s and we got a APV seeded and was going to do both at same time just wondering how much seed an acre and is it too early for grass seed? Thanks

Well lads was going to chain harrow silage field s and we got a APV seeded and was going to do both at same time just wondering how much seed an acre and is it too early for grass seed? Thanks
They say seed when the month starts with a A

A customer wants me to direct drill 10 acres of last years stubbles for him.
This lad is cool as a frozen cucumber and as such his timings tend to go off course!

He approached us just after lockdown to ask if I'd do them. Sayd he'd spray off and get seeds for beggining of may.

Low and behold it dried up hard and fast.
We've had a bit of rain. The drill would likely go into the ground ok

Question is, is it worth the risk? Will it take or is it likely to dry up again?

He's said not to worry, up to me, if it fails he would not hold it against me, it's one of those years. (And I do believe him)
Says it wouldn't worry him too much if it wasn't done till September.

Hard to figure. I know I wouldn't be blamed but don't want to waste his money!

A customer wants me to direct drill 10 acres of last years stubbles for him.
This lad is cool as a frozen cucumber and as such his timings tend to go off course!

He approached us just after lockdown to ask if I'd do them. Sayd he'd spray off and get seeds for beggining of may.

Low and behold it dried up hard and fast.
We've had a bit of rain. The drill would likely go into the ground ok

Question is, is it worth the risk? Will it take or is it likely to dry up again?

He's said not to worry, up to me, if it fails he would not hold it against me, it's one of those years. (And I do believe him)
Says it wouldn't worry him too much if it wasn't done till September.

Hard to figure. I know I wouldn't be blamed but don't want to waste his money!
September

We were all set to reseed a field here after silage had some digging work on drains to do and was set to plough it then. That was all put on hold till the fall. To risky at the moment

Did a few of home fields in april hit and miss like desert here it's that dry struck but struggling to come on needs rain badly and not a passing shower. I'd wait now incase cause always machine or man blamed lol. And early september I thing late on to late not struck till october then cold weather and chance of frost. Just my opinion for all it's worth

Any picture of that machine you have coral plant ?
IMG_20200522_094729.606.jpg
Screenshot_20200605-231426_Gallery.jpg

Have a field I would like to reseed in the next month or so. I skipped it in this round of grazing as the grass had gone stemmy partly due to the dry conditions but also because it is just very old permanent pasture. Planning on taking a cut of bales off it in the next 10 days to 2 weeks, seems to be still growing a bit so the drought hasn't affected it too badly. Would usually do a full reseed with a couple of passes of a disc and then sow with one pass of a power harrow. But I am getting a bit tired of picking stones to be honest and there will be plenty of them I would guess. Unless there is a change in the weather then I am assuming it would be too dry to direct drill the grass? Has anyone here gone straight in with the power harrow after silage? How did it turn out?

Back