Ploughing tips and tricks

If there's a good shot of ground to be ploughed with big trees around the headlands I disk them when he's nearly finishes ploughing.
Works well

If there's a good shot of ground to be ploughed with big trees around the headlands I disk them when he's nearly finishes ploughing.
Works well
One thing I can say for a Rabe plough is they can take an unbelievable amount of hardship and abuse. I've ripped more roots up and rocks that I know would strain a KV plough.
I've one block of land that's been in tillage since '13 and it's only now I'm finally into the edge of the ditch from all the roots. All big trees and roots the thickness of a mans leg coming up. It is abuse but the Rabe has sheer bolt protection as well as spring loaded bodies so is well able for it.

A very fussy man I know who time means nothing even in a busy time when ploughing lea gets a track machine in and digs all along ditches with trees and rakes all the debris off. It would hardly need to be ploughed at all after. He would happily devote days to this and could be way behind with the rest of his sowing.
A very fussy man I know who time means nothing even in a busy time when ploughing lea gets a track machine in and digs all along ditches with trees and rakes all the debris off. It would hardly need to be ploughed at all after. He would happily devote days to this and could be way behind with the rest of his sowing.

Ploughman went right up to the ditch in the 2 other fields with a good few roots and stayed well away from the ditch in the field with no roots.
8ZD5rbm.jpg
oPiaEjx.jpg

Thanks @Agri Power I've just stayed up until 1:37 watching those videos :oops2: Well put together for anyone starting out, he was doing a lovely job with an old plough and was nicely spoken lad, no shite talk. Learned one new trick so it was worth the watch, the way he pulled the corners out at an angle starting off in the second video, I always pulled them straight, that's a tidier job, looking forward to autumn ploughing already :tongue:

Pressure you do the same on the opposite headland the following year so to plough it the opposite way. If not you would end up with a hole in the corner

Ploughing a lay yesterday. On the ins and out I turned the plough to the unploughed ground first and then ploughed it back in. Really helped to level up the butts. Plough done well for a 14 year old girl, tractor wheels were causing a problem as they are a little to wide and were were catching the the back sod causing the front sod to fall a shade lower.

Attachments

• IMG_20200812_154209.jpg
    IMG_20200812_154209.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_20200812_154621.jpg
    IMG_20200812_154621.jpg
    360.7 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_20200812_160748.jpg
    IMG_20200812_160748.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_20200812_161202.jpg
    IMG_20200812_161202.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 123
Ploughing a lay yesterday. On the ins and out I turned the plough to the unploughed ground first and then ploughed it back in. Really helped to level up the butts. Plough done well for a 14 year old girl, tractor wheels were causing a problem as they are a little to wide and were were catching the the back sod causing the front sod to fall a shade lower.

I'm not criticising your ploughing in any way, going by the pictures it's better than I do.
The way you done the ins and outs is what I would do with tillage ground but for a field going into grass around here if you left the furrow at the outside you'd be ran. The furrow is never going to be filled in properly and the theory is mowers etc would be hitting off the furrow wall whereas if the furrow is out to the field soil can be dragged into it by the harrow or leveller.

Different people in different places have different ways of doing things, so I suppose neither way is right depending on who you'd be talking to.

I disk harrowed a stubble field lately 30 acres 5 hours.
I thought to myself what would you plough a tillage field when you can till it in that space of time.
A genuine question what's the theory behind continually ploughing ground?

I'm not criticising your ploughing in any way, going by the pictures it's better than I do.
The way you done the ins and outs is what I would do with tillage ground but for a field going into grass around here if you left the furrow at the outside you'd be ran. The furrow is never going to be filled in properly and the theory is mowers etc would be hitting off the furrow wall whereas if the furrow is out to the field soil can be dragged into it by the harrow or leveller.

Different people in different places have different ways of doing things, so I suppose neither way is right depending on who you'd be talking to.
Am all ears lad I wouldn't be taking it personally or anything.

Did similar recently and left a shallow furrow a metre out from the fence so I could get it out of it with the ph.

If I am picking you up right do you mean have a furrow out at the ins and out?? The shape of that field the finishing ditch runs at a angle to the one I started with and it I left a furrow and the ins and outs I would have ended up with a double furrow if you get me, that presuming I have picked you up correctly

I disk harrowed a stubble field lately 30 acres 5 hours.
I thought to myself what would you plough a tillage field when you can till it in that space of time.
A genuine question what's the theory behind continually ploughing ground?
Is that your plough up on DD:scratchhead:

If I am picking you up right do you mean have a furrow out at the ins and out?? The shape of that field the finishing ditch runs at a angle to the one I started with and it I left a furrow and the ins and outs I would have ended up with a double furrow if you get me, that presuming I have picked you up correctly

Yea, furrow at the ins and outs, a shallow one mind you not a drain. I don't pick up on what you mean by a double furrow.

Yea, furrow at the ins and outs, a shallow one mind you not a drain. I don't pick up on what you mean by a double furrow.

He means if you start by the right ditch once you get over to the left ditch headland you will have a furrow. Then start at the left ditch and plough out you will end up with two furrows meeting. So for this to work your last runs would want to be very shallow furrows

Getting set to start off for this year. We had alot of work done to the plough over the winter. All new metal, new disk hubs(4stud), new disks, new disk clamps, all vari width re pinned and bushed, front rail built up oh and a extra furrow put on. Heading to knock the paint off boards now.

Attachments

• IMG_20210303_125243.jpg
    IMG_20210303_125243.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 120
Getting set to start off for this year. We had alot of work done to the plough over the winter. All new metal, new disk hubs(4stud), new disks, new disk clamps, all vari width re pinned and bushed, front rail built up oh and a extra furrow put on. Heading to knock the paint off boards now.
You didn’t chance the 110 on it yet seeing as it’s got a new turbo :drool:

If its anything like land here at the moment you'll be pulling back out of it quickly enough.
20210303_153836.jpg

Who did that for you?

Back