Axle brackets

Just on the arms
Could you draft a mcconnel subframe on to it, the ones they use to convert 3 point linkage to axle brackets? The arbocut system looks way too complicated to hook up, it may take all season to get it on the tractor!!:sweat:

Could you draft a mcconnel subframe on to it, the ones they use to convert 3 point linkage to axle brackets? The arbocut system looks way too complicated to hook up, it may take all season to get it on the tractor!!:sweat:
I'd say I could.
I asked a guy thid evening and he said there very easy to put on and off.
Are the mcconnel subframes hard to put on and off?

I'd say I could.
I asked a guy thid evening and he said there very easy to put on and off.
Are the mcconnel subframes hard to put on and off?
I wouldn't think they'd be too bad, but can't say I've took a lot of notice of how its fixed on tbh, be a few bolts each side I guess.

Talking to a friend the other night who has just put a subframe on to convert his McConnel to brackets, the guy who supplied the subframe said you need to carry 20% of the weight on the arms. I was always led to believe you drop the arms right down so there's no weight on them, well that's what I've always done anyway. So which is right and how do you know when you have 20% of the weight which obviously changes depending what position the arm is in??

Talking to a friend the other night who has just put a subframe on to convert his McConnel to brackets, the guy who supplied the subframe said you need to carry 20% of the weight on the arms. I was always led to believe you drop the arms right down so there's no weight on them, well that's what I've always done anyway. So which is right and how do you know when you have 20% of the weight which obviously changes depending what position the arm is in??
Sounds like some proper BS that. Whole point of axle brackets is to take the weight off the linkage.
And as you say, you don't exactly get a readout of what weight the arms are carrying!!

nah you dont drop the arms right down , the brackets aren't to take the weight of the arms there to stop the hedger rocking about . top link got the rubber damper on it so you lower the arms down till its taking most of the weight but as the hedger is moving about some of the weight will go onto the arms .
ive a new hedger this year after using the same hedger for 10 years , x demo machine ( only done a couple of demos apparently although it seems to have notched up 700 hours since the beginning of the year :rolleyes2::rolleyes2:)
its came on 3 pt mounts but mcconnel sending us the sub frame to make it up to 5 point , think thats 8 possibly 10 weeks now weve been waiting on it and its badly needing it especially when its half way in it just wants to see saw on the one arm

Sounds like some proper BS that. Whole point of axle brackets is to take the weight off the linkage.
And as you say, you don't exactly get a readout of what weight the arms are carrying!!
Axle brackets place the loading further out so take all the stress off the half housings, I'd drop the arms to the point where the kingpost was vertical with the McConnell so a bit of weight also on the link arms.

As good as it might be it's just too uncommon for people to take a chance. You'd end up with a friend for life
It’s the design I like best,I couldn’t ever buy the real deal,would have to fabricate it in house,could be made to suit any hedger.

It’s the design I like best,I couldn’t ever buy the real deal,would have to fabricate it in house,could be made to suit any hedger.

Basicaly its like a mirror image of the lift arms only backwards and a heavy frame holding them together if ya had measured up right it would be easy to fabricat

Why would you need axel brackets on today’s modern tractors that can lift tons more than any Hedgecutter weighs? I have always used 6.5m+ Telescopic machines and only ever on 3 pt linkage. No ballast in wheels or weights and no repairs to tractor.

Why would you need axel brackets on today’s modern tractors that can lift tons more than any Hedgecutter weighs? I have always used 6.5m+ Telescopic machines and only ever on 3 pt linkage. No ballast in wheels or weights and no repairs to tractor.
Because it rockes about like a rowing boat in a storm
Also you never see an axel bracket machine lying on it's back with a broken top link

Because it rockes about like a rowing boat in a storm
Also you never see an axel bracket machine lying on it's back with a broken top link
Got to be a right humpty to break the top link on my pa65t
In working position theres hardly any weight on it an it can be turned easy

Haven't any experience of the bigger McConnel trimmers, but years ago I had a Pa93 and it was as steady as a rock on the tractor 3 pt linkage. Changed to a Pa50e on 3pt linkage and on same tractor it heaved about like a swingboat. I considered it downright dangerous when arm was moving back and forth at mid reach. Dealer sent his fitter out and he spent 2 hours in field trying different positions at the A frame. He improved it, but still not what it should be. It's plain to see that the way the 50's A frame is designed that's where the fault lies.

Been on axle brackets for longer than I care to remember, first was a McConnell 2050, 5 metre reach with a 1.6 metre head on a 2 wd DX 3.90, axle brackets were a great job even stepping up from the previous 1.2 metre head PA 95, went onto a 4wd tractor after that and if you are doing a decent few hours with a 5 metre and upwards machine axle brackets are a far better setup, horses for courses I know and lifting the machine isn't the problem but serious up force on the RH side with a linkage machine and stress on the LH half axle at full reach.

I was 15 years on axel brackets. 2 months on 3pt and I'm down at least 1 gear and still putting a hole in the odd hedge , when its half way in its balancing on 1 arm 6 inch plus movement on the head and that's before it bounces through a pot hole . It works but quality of job Is suffering

Back