Making a workbench

fraserb

I'm needing to make a workbench for in my workshop at home, I've got a reasonable amount of space for it and any design is up for discussion. So any ideas for things you've done that work well or not or things you would like to have done. I've got until mid feb to get it sorted out so plenty time.

I don’t know if this will help but what I did was 4 legs out of box iron with a rectangular frame made of angel iron on top that old railway sleepers would sit into. if you want a sturdier more permanent job you could use legs made of blocks and railway sleepers on top

I got some steel stillages from a factory for mine, 8 ft long, 40” high and 30” deep. 2 inch heavy box iron all round and I welded 5mm plate to the top. Adapt the height to suit your own height so you work without stooping is the best advice I can give you. All steel so easy to weld stuff on using frame as an earth. Easy to weld/add shelves underneath. And weld a few angles up the back and bolt shelving to it. Bolt on a vice, bench grinder etc. If you got a second bench similar to the one above add a strong braked castor wheel onto each leg and this will be a mobile bench.

3" angle frame with the ends and back turned this way (L) front edge turned the other way up so the flat is flush with the top surface which is made of 6x3 timbers, allows work to be clamped along the length of the front of the bench, also the vice is bolted into the angle so an earth lead on the frame will suffice to earth stuff in the vice.

Last edited:
bit of channeling along the front facing out the way and you can recess 3pin plugs in them .
if your planning a steel top , dont get you bench all square , sitting perfect then put a big long bead of weld down the top to hold it on you will bend the channel into a banana shape :curse:

it's very cool.

Simialr results can be achieved a lot cheaper if you have somewhere nearby doing office surplus stuff. you might find a couple of sets of matching drawer units to suit.

I would definitely say to put storage underneath. it doesnt have to be that fancy. my workbench at home has the ends enclosed, a single shelf and some plywood doors, but it creates massive storage in what is normally otherwise a junk area.

The top is 2 inches of marine ply (complete overkill, inch would be more than enough) frame is 2 inch box, doors/ends are just regular WBP

attachment.php

I have this one on the farm, couple of 4x2s, small bit of 3x1 and a single sheet of ply. not quite as tough, but cost buttons
attachment.php

I like the look of @JohnBoy s one, @headcase I cant make up my mind on wheels or not, my shed isn't huge about 5 x 8m, going to have to put a partition in it to keep plasma table on it's own so might struggle for room for a moveable one.

I put wheels on mine that only work with a mini jack so it’s normally just sitting on its legs.

Good idea right enough. It's given me an idea, was going to make a table same height as plasma for when I wanted a big sheet loaded, could make the workbench the right height for the job and wheel it into place when needed.

Back