Cutting Brass Bushings in Half

lough

Has anyone got any tips on how to cut these in half to make two bushings. You can't put them in the vice without damaging them and it is very hard to cut them square with the hacksaw.
I tried two pins, one in from either side and cut down between the gap but it still wouldn't stay square

Sleeve-Bushings-Good-Quality-Brass-Bushing.jpg

You will also have to put a hole in it for grease nipple. I have cut them with the mini grinder and thin disc. If you a little bit off it's not going to make an huge difference

You will also have to put a hole in it for grease nipple. I have cut them with the mini grinder and thin disc. If you a little bit off it's not going to make an huge difference

I will get away without putting a hole in them, they are greased through the centre of the pin. I will get a thin disc and try that.

I will get away without putting a hole in them, they are greased through the centre of the pin. I will get a thin disc and try that.
Mark them accurately with a permanent marker first, I find the easiest way is the bushing on their end on a flat bench, get something like timber board to lay the marker flat on so that the tip is at the height you want to cut at and while holding the marker still, rotate the bushing while flat on bench against the marker until you have a line all around. Then take you're time with thin disc.

Attachments

• 20191211_165952_resize_10.jpg
    20191211_165952_resize_10.jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 34
wrap a piece of paper around anything round and when you get the edges of the paper square it will be square!!!
mark it all the way round then cut (hacksaw/grinder,whatever) and just follow the mark right round
don't be a hero and just plunge cut it and make a fuckup:rolleyes2:

Has anyone got any tips on how to cut these in half to make two bushings. You can't put them in the vice without damaging them and it is very hard to cut them square with the hacksaw.
I tried two pins, one in from either side and cut down between the gap but it still wouldn't stay square

Sleeve-Bushings-Good-Quality-Brass-Bushing.jpg

wooden handle built up to correct size with masking tape

Back