New Crew Cab

Is it that u have d option of paying d balance or getting a new vehicle and starting a new pcp contract

That's one option. But I think you can pay a deposit at the start which will mean that at the end of the PCP contract, you will own the vehicle without having to make a down payment?

A lot of PCP contracts seem to be 3 years, maybe the deposit at the start, and the extra 2 years does away with the final payment

I thought there was a catch with PCP that you had to pay a balance at the end, or can you set it up however you want?
thats right when you,re finished the 5 yr pcp you have to take out a loan to buy the vehicle or get another pcp vehicle and start over again , thats what i understand anyway

That's one option. But I think you can pay a deposit at the start which will mean that at the end of the PCP contract, you will own the vehicle without having to make a down payment?

PCP very very roughly works like ,
Car costs 27 k . You put down 10k , then you pay x monthly to amount to 10k , and then , at the end of the 3 years you either hand back the car , which cancels out the other 10 k debt , OR , take out another loan to pay off the last 33 % of your debt . OR , start off another new PCP , handing back the present car , and bring on another new car .

Most important point , after 36 equal payments on PCP , you DO NOT own the wind in the tyres of the car . You have basically paid for the use of the car .
That is is how the "Repayments" look so reasonable...

Car costs 27 k . You put down 10k , then you pay x monthly to amount to 10k , and then , at the end of the 3 years you either hand back the car , which cancels out the other 10 k debt , OR , take out another loan to pay off the last 33 % of your debt . OR , start off another new PCP , handing back the present car , and bring on another new car .

Most important point , after 36 equal payments on PCP , you DO NOT own the wind in the tyres of the car . You have basically paid for the use of the car .
I remember something on d radio about pcps a couple of years ago. A lot of people didnt do d sums only saw that they had a new car for x amount every month and it was affordable. Then got a shock after when they were told they didnt own d car and if they wanted it would have to pay a large lump sum. From what i heard dealers didnt explain d pcps properly to people and it made them look good popping out all these new cars

I remember something on d radio about pcps a couple of years ago. A lot of people didnt do d sums only saw that they had a new car for x amount every month and it was affordable. Then got a shock after when they were told they didnt own d car and if they wanted it would have to pay a large lump sum. From what i heard dealers didnt explain d pcps properly to people and it made them look good popping out all these new cars

Not all PCP's are like that. I definitely know that both Ford and VW have a PCP plan which allows you to either own the vehicle at the end without a final lump sum payment or trade it back for a guaranteed value to the garage (This trade in value will be given to you at the time of purchase and so long as you stick to the service schedule and keep below the mileage limit, you will get it).

I was talking to a neighbour last night. He recently went to a VW garage to look at changing his 16 vw golf to a brand new one. He is retired and would have a good pension. He wouldn't be taking out a loan. VW told him that they could sell him the same car €1500 cheaper overall if he chose to take it on PCP as opposed to buying it straight and he would own it outright after he paid the final monthly payment after 36 months. They would also give him a guaranteed trade in price for his car for 36 months time.

That's with VW bank.

VW Bank is basically a bailout of VW by the German Government. They have refused to give the figures for how much it has cost to keep them going. If there was no VW bank cars would be cheaper for the cash buyers.

VW Bank is basically a bailout of VW by the German Government. They have refused to give the figures for how much it has cost to keep them going. If there was no VW bank cars would be cheaper for the cash buyers.

Well said and VW are not the only ones. PCP just allows people to have a nice car in their drive and helps garages to inflate sales figures.

It also helps those of us who want a decent 3-5 year old car as well....

I don't see how it would make sense for a business owner to go down the PCP route given the maximum mileage allowance. The last I heard these limits weren't particularly generous.

I was talking to a neighbour last night. He recently went to a VW garage to look at changing his 16 vw golf to a brand new one. He is retired and would have a good pension. He wouldn't be taking out a loan. VW told him that they could sell him the same car €1500 cheaper overall if he chose to take it on PCP as opposed to buying it straight and he would own it outright after he paid the final monthly payment after 36 months. They would also give him a guaranteed trade in price for his car for 36 months time.

That's with VW bank.
What you can do with VW PCP is signup for the PCP, get the €1500 of finance contribution from VW and then after 6 months you can pay off the PCP and final payment and own the car outright, saving yourself €1500.

I don't see how it would make sense for a business owner to go down the PCP route given the maximum mileage allowance. The last I heard these limits weren't particularly generous.

As far as I can see, the basic allowance is 10k km per year. If you need to do more, then you pay more per month or else agree to a lower trade in value at the end.

VW pcp here, basic mileage allowance is 20 k per year, only really becomes a problem if you are walking away from the car at the end of the plan

To make a long story as short as I can, I'll give you the run down as I have witnessed on buying a new crew cab.
Basic bog spec crew cabs have a list price to €34k to €37k (L200, dmax, hilux, ranger, Navara) and €53k for an amarok.
Higher spec in all of them is pretty much the same (alloy wheels, towing assist, auto climate control, reversing camera, higher quality seats (some leather, some not), better quality suspension (in some models) and a range of extra gadgets.

So in the middle spec the list prices are (Top spec tends to be a sports model with a load of extra stuff)

Dmax €37.5k
Ranger €39.5
L200 €40k
Navara €40k
Hilux €41k
Amarok €57k

These prices are higher than those listed on the various websites, because those prices are for white paint and in most cases, its' up to €1k extra for a metallic colour.
None of these prices include a towbar and lighting kit and this costs from €750 to €1000 extra.
All prices are for a bare tub - no liner, no lid. A liner and Lid can cost up to €2k depending on the spec that you are looking for.

No trade in, and no finance with the garage - sort your own finance and buy it straight.

Dmax - €1500 off list price.
Ranger €1900 off list
L200 €1800 off list
Navara €2200 off list
Hilux €2800 off list

So how do you decide which one to choose?
You look at reliability.
Then you look at Donedeal and see what's selling. Has anyone tried selling a second hand 4x4 lately? An L200 is a very very hard sell. Dmax is a hard sell too. Anything with over 100k miles is a hard sell. The brand that consistently sell regardless of the mileage is VW and Toyota.

VW is very pricey.

I believe that a deal will be done on a Toyota Tomorrow.

Id stay away from the 2litre vw anyways. Local independent mechanic had two of them in at the same time. He didn't seem too impressed.

Don’t know what to say tried most of them a few years back, ended up being happier with fresh s/h LC, found hilux nice but very sluggish.
The Amorak has been discontinued I believe so there might be a few cheap ones being sold off!

You look at reliability.
Then you look at Donedeal and see what's selling. Has anyone tried selling a second hand 4x4 lately? An L200 is a very very hard sell. Dmax is a hard sell too. Anything with over 100k miles is a hard sell. The brand that consistently sell regardless of the mileage is VW and Toyota.

VW is very pricey.

I presume its a long term purchase, You drive them all on a mix of road surfaces and on your own and with passenger, pick the one you find the nicest and most comfortable to drive, the €1000 one way or the other will be very little spread over the lifetime but if you aren't comfortable in it you will be reminded every time you drive it, decent warranty period, some have 3 yrs others more up to 5 or 6,

To make a long story as short as I can, I'll give you the run down as I have witnessed on buying a new crew cab.
Basic bog spec crew cabs have a list price to €34k to €37k (L200, dmax, hilux, ranger, Navara) and €53k for an amarok.
Higher spec in all of them is pretty much the same (alloy wheels, towing assist, auto climate control, reversing camera, higher quality seats (some leather, some not), better quality suspension (in some models) and a range of extra gadgets.

So in the middle spec the list prices are (Top spec tends to be a sports model with a load of extra stuff)

Dmax €37.5k
Ranger €39.5
L200 €40k
Navara €40k
Hilux €41k
Amarok €57k

These prices are higher than those listed on the various websites, because those prices are for white paint and in most cases, its' up to €1k extra for a metallic colour.
None of these prices include a towbar and lighting kit and this costs from €750 to €1000 extra.
All prices are for a bare tub - no liner, no lid. A liner and Lid can cost up to €2k depending on the spec that you are looking for.

No trade in, and no finance with the garage - sort your own finance and buy it straight.

Ranger €1900 off list
L200 €1800 off list
Navara €2200 off list
Hilux €2800 off list

You look at reliability.

VW is very pricey.

Good luck on whatever is bought.
Looking at the prices, it would be hard to look past the Hilux tbh.

Looking at the prices , it would be hard to look at any of them . :eek3:
Looking at the prices, it would be hard to look past the Hilux tbh.

Dmax €37.5k
Ranger €39.5
L200 €40k
Navara €40k
Hilux €41k
Amarok €57k

Ranger €1900 off list
L200 €1800 off list
Navara €2200 off list
Hilux €2800 off list

You look at reliability.

VW is very pricey.

Ranger wild track is 47k a limited is 45 includes a liner and mountain top.

Not sure if you were buying this yourself mucky from reading above? anything to report on it? what size engine now is the hilux, adblue?have a d max myself considering changing

Its a relative. I will be able to use it at times.

2.4 engine. Adblue should only need to be topped up every 12000km. It holds 24 litres. Local filling station has an adblue pump and sells it for 60c per litre.

I have driven it 2 or 3 times. Its an animal to pull compared to the l200. It has an eco mode, normal mode and power mode. We had 3 ton of cattle behind it last week and it pulled off from junctions in first without even having to touch the accelerator. It is very smooth with a load on it.

I don't know what the dmax is like. But from the small amount of miles that I have driven the hilux, I like it.

Back