Massey 8220

JD 3140T

Well just after looking at a clean 8220 Massey .1 owner 13000hr always serviced injection pump and breaks don .looks a big strong tractor .looking advice on what to look out for from Massey drivers .thanks

Well just after looking at a clean 8220 Massey .1 owner 13000hr always serviced injection pump and breaks don .looks a big strong tractor .looking advice on what to look out for from Massey drivers .thanks

Big tractor , big hours , big Bill's?

Has @Iggy something like that?

Have an 8250 with the famous Funk powershift gearbox.
There pretty good, I think 8220 has a Perkins engine, whereas the bigger models have Sisu and the 8220 will have a manual gearbox.
Big frame of a tractor.
Thanks mixed fleet yes he told me perkins Engine 160hp and dynashift gearbox which he told me was bulletproof and has big hydraulic pumps. It looks straight and they got injector pump done recently. The hrs might seem big but I'd say they are correct not like other tractor s have seen with hrs just below 10000 .is there any thing I should look out for. How would you rate the 82 series Massey. Thanks for advice

Have an 8250 with the famous Funk powershift gearbox.
There pretty good, I think 8220 has a Perkins engine, whereas the bigger models have Sisu and the 8220 will have a manual gearbox.
Big frame of a tractor.
Isn’t there a 8220 near your house?they were on for selling it but didn’t hear if it went or not.

I've an 8240. It's the powershift 18 speed gearbox. Very happy with it and given very little trouble. @JD 3140T what are you going to be doing with the 8220?

I've an 8240. It's the powershift 18 speed gearbox. Very happy with it and given very little trouble. @JD 3140T what are you going to be doing with the 8220?
Slurry tank 2000 gallon mowing. bale n subsoiler. Dump trailer want something strong reliable. This is x arable tractor one owner. It looks genuine for age

Thanks mixed fleet yes he told me perkins Engine 160hp and dynashift gearbox which he told me was bulletproof and has big hydraulic pumps. It looks straight and they got injector pump done recently. The hrs might seem big but I'd say they are correct not like other tractor s have seen with hrs just below 10000 .is there any thing I should look out for. How would you rate the 82 series Massey. Thanks for advice
I would rate them quite good for their time. I don't know of any common faults .The massey men reckon that 82's were a big improvement on the 81 series.
I can't warm to the powershift box in my own ,power hungry and irregular gaps in the shifts.
82's are a big frame ,ideal for heavy pulling. Good brakes,steering ,and their a good weight to start with.
I don't think their very suitable for the likes of mowing or baling or those type of jobs.
I have tried and lifted silage with a trailed harvester ,lots of power but clumsy.
Just my opinion

I would rate them quite good for their time. I don't know of any common faults .The massey men reckon that 82's were a big improvement on the 81 series.
I can't warm to the powershift box in my own ,power hungry and irregular gaps in the shifts.
82's are a big frame ,ideal for heavy pulling. Good brakes,steering ,and their a good weight to start with.
I don't think their very suitable for the likes of mowing or baling or those type of jobs.
I have tried and lifted silage with a trailed harvester ,lots of power but clumsy.
Just my opinion
Thanks again mixed fleet for replying he has a 6480 for sale too but told me the 8220 would be far better to pull and alot better to work high hilly fields. There is only 15hp in the difference but the 8220 is alot bigger when in the cab . Would parts be easy got never seen many off them.

Thanks again mixed fleet for replying he has a 6480 for sale too but told me the 8220 would be far better to pull and alot better to work high hilly fields. There is only 15hp in the difference but the 8220 is alot bigger when in the cab . Would parts be easy got never seen many off them.
For what your going to be doing with it . It’s the 6480 I’d be thinking of buying. Drove one here for 6yrs put 12000hrs on it pulling a 3000g tank and a Combi Baler . Never wanted for power and know of plenty that got chipped to up the hp .

For what your going to be doing with it . It’s the 6480 I’d be thinking of buying. Drove one here for 6yrs put 12000hrs on it pulling a 3000g tank and a Combi Baler . Never wanted for power and know of plenty that got chipped to up the hp .
Thanks 6480 . Would a 6480 handle a fusion on hilly ground

Not sure, looked into that series several years ago from what I remember the larger ones had a better engine and the top 2 models came with dual brake disks. Highly rated tractors I think, especially the top 2 models. You could be safer holding out for a larger one no?

Not sure, looked into that series several years ago from what I remember the larger ones had a better engine and the top 2 models came with dual brake disks. Highly rated tractors I think, especially the top 2 models. You could be safer holding out for a larger one no?
Thanks jcb 411. high hrs should be ok when it was well serviced. There was a massive grunt out of the 8220 compared to the 6480 didn't think 15hp more would make the difference. What would be a good test for it . If I got it on trial

Thanks jcb 411. high hrs should be ok when it was well serviced. There was a massive grunt out of the 8220 compared to the 6480 didn't think 15hp more would make the difference. What would be a good test for it . If I got it on trial
I'd say if you knew someone with an nc4500 slurry pump you'd soon find out if it cools for a start.
Then it's down to what you want to do with it?

This 82 in Germany had 27 000 hours, well shook at the end up but I wouldn’t worry about your hours
Thanks for that. it has front axle suspension any thing I should check. It doesn't have the datatronic box on the cab pillar is there a reason for that maybe the 8220 didn't have them

Thanks for that. it has front axle suspension any thing I should check. It doesn't have the datatronic box on the cab pillar is there a reason for that maybe the 8220 didn't have them
See if the suspension is up, the piston in them gets worn and it can end up sitting down, I wouldn’t worry about the datatronic screen

View attachment 74441 Plenty of power in a 6480 for a fusion on any ground also
See if the suspension is up, the piston in them gets worn and it can end up sitting down, I wouldn’t worry about the datatronic screen
Thanks for the advice never had Massey but they seem to be reliable work horse s . That 6480 with fussion looks great. There not much difference between the two we have to choose from just want to make the right decision. This forum is great there is so much experience on it .it has been great for us

I'm not meaning to be a stick in the mud but from what I remember reading online especially of info from the states it was the larger models of the 8200 series that were best.
6480 wouldn't be a bad tractor either. In comparison to that 8220 I'd say you'd get much the same level of stability

I think the 6480 is the tractor for ur job, has it got ccls and the 110 litre pump, won’t the 8220 be awkward on narrow roads and narrow gates with a fusion? A 6480 will be a lot easier to sell on again in a few years lot of farmers running them be hard enough to shift a 30 year old 8220 in a few years.

Back