Ploughing

Ya maybe I should just said I’d get a few opinions, was planning on ploughing tomorrow while there would be a tanker home to spread in front, slurry on hire is the big issue here

Lads not a clue here about ploughing but i do be watching the local lad`s here at it . Other than apperance is there any advantage to having straight ploughing . Lad`s here are some men for curve`s in there ploughing even in perfectly straight fields .

Looks in great order!

If Mount Everest, wasn't dry nowhere would be!! That field is why I HAD to buy a spring loaded plough!

@Masseyrk662 easy to say it but I'd be pulling the plug there for a few days especially if you are going with slurry.

I passed some ground which was ploughed earlier this week and pure Bacon slides to burn plenty of Diesel.

If Mount Everest, wasn't dry nowhere would be!! That field is why I HAD to buy a spring loaded plough!

@Masseyrk662 easy to say it but I'd be pulling the plug there for a few days especially if you are going with slurry.

I passed some ground which was ploughed earlier this week and pure Bacon slides to burn plenty of Diesel.
Ya I called it off after, even though I do a bit of work for one of the biggest growers in Galway and he said if he had ground dry as it he would be ploughing on so it’s hard know, I’ll leave it until next weekend

Just shined off the boards off there, what do ye think ? No one else is ploughing in Galway yet so I’m not sure should I be either
If you go back up a few posts you will see Danielk photo. That’s the finish I would be looking for. There will be serious breaking down in those lumps. Plus it is smearing the furrow which would reduce drainage later.
Leave it till you get at least a few more days drying, it will pay off long term.
I finished my SB ploughing today, about a month later than normal, the rain just barely wet the windscreen for 20 mins. I’m ready for sowing whenever we get a decent spell.

If you go back up a few posts you will see Danielk photo. That’s the finish I would be looking for. There will be serious breaking down in those lumps. Plus it is smearing the furrow which would reduce drainage later.
Leave it till you get at least a few more days drying, it will pay off long term.
I finished my SB ploughing today, about a month later than normal, the rain just barely wet the windscreen for 20 mins. I’m ready for sowing whenever we get a decent spell.
Ya I’ll leave it until next weekend, it’s sort of a make or break job here it’s hard know if your doing right or wrong at times :eek3:

Ya I’ll leave it until next weekend, it’s sort of a make or break job here it’s hard know if your doing right or wrong at times :eek3:

Given your location I’d have no bother ploughing that land.
The best way to learn is by doing, I’d suggest plough half the field now and leave the rest of it until it’s as dry as other members have suggested.
See what difference it’ll make when it’s time to sow.

DDF0B255-B996-4CC0-9B7C-BBA5637D21BA.jpeg E096B23D-F509-4CB5-AD2F-36DEEE8E6C4D.jpeg 839CCBD2-1274-442B-8FB5-133992B4186A.jpeg
Pictures taken Friday evening, all going well there’ll be beans sowed tomorrow or Monday.
If we were to wait for the ideal conditions that some can aspire to, there be very little work done around here. Might get some spring wheat in this week too, which would be great, Not too often we get out to work this early in the spring.
It’s soaking out nicely today, a good drying day will have it right the one pass.
Remind me to take some pictures of this again.

View attachment 75410 View attachment 75409 View attachment 75411
Pictures taken Friday evening, all going well there’ll be beans sowed tomorrow or Monday.
If we were to wait for the ideal conditions that some can aspire to, there be very little work done around here. Might get some spring wheat in this week too, which would be great, Not too often we get out to work this early in the spring.
It’s soaking out nicely today, a good drying day will have it right the one pass.
Remind me to take some pictures of this again.
That’s it too, I’ll wait a few more days and see, there is beet ground not far from here that is swimming in water and will be ploughed by end of this week just to make a start with the other lad. A friend of mine in Wicklow was ploughing right in front of the drill for beans on Thursday. He was sowing wheat too today, the drying is serious down there though.

Back