Covid 19

If anything good is to come out of this it might be a realisation that food production (farming) and the distribution of said product (transport) are vital to our survival, a few weeks ago they were the things that supposedly were destroying the planet.

I wouldn’t be holding my breath to ever really be overly appreciated as to being a farmer.
Reality is we are a business, I actually don’t care if we are applauded or not once we keep getting paid for what we do. Yea a little thanks is nice every now and again but you can’t lodge a thanks in a bank.
At least we have jobs currently and are not healthcare workers.

I wouldn’t be holding my breath to ever really be overly appreciated as to being a farmer.
Reality is we are a business, I actually don’t care if we are applauded or not once we keep getting paid for what we do. Yea a little thanks is nice every now and again but you can’t lodge a thanks in a bank.
At least we have jobs currently and are not healthcare workers.

Perhaps not the public.
But the people running the country might wake up a bit.

Roads are exceptionally quiet around here apart from tractors, oil lorries and agri suppliers.

10 mile round trip tonight, one way at 7 and then at 9 and never met one. I've never seen that.

It's as good as a lockdown in my book.

At slurry these past few days and I've had to swap fields from 4 to 7 due to the traffic on the road.
The mother is self isolating due to previously having cancer so I have been getting the few messages and leaving them at the door for her.
I'm surviving on pot noodles,cream crackers and white bread.
There's people still insisting on been out and about as usual who are at high risk. I think if people followed advice this would be all over far quicker.

It's not what people want to hear but this won't be over until we've all been infected and gained immunity or a vaccine has been distributed.
This is a catastrophic failing of the way we do business. We talk about choosing trading partners on environmental standards, biosecurity should be top priority in trade deals and free movement agreements going forward.

And thats not intended on being morbid. It's reality and it's not being truthfully conveyed to the public. You can't stop this they are only trying to slow it down. The only time the danger of new cases goes away is with a vaccine or herd immunity.
I'll get it, you'll all get it, children the elderly sick healthy everyone. We'll all have to face it someday down the line.

And thats not intended on being morbid. It's reality and it's not being truthfully conveyed to the public. You can't stop this they are only trying to slow it down. The only time the danger of new cases goes away is with a vaccine or herd immunity.
I'll get it, you'll all get it, children the elderly sick healthy everyone. We'll all have to face it someday down the line.
The virus doesn't spread its self

Humans spread the virus

If everyone isolated.for 4 weeks it would be well contained

The virus doesn't spread its self

Humans spread the virus

If everyone isolated.for 4 weeks it would be well contained
Everybody on the planet would need to stay at home for 2 to 3 weeks and not come into contact with anyone. If one infected person comes in contact with another who didnt have it it's back to square one. That's just not a realistic solution.

I don't agree that this is not being conveyed to the public.

Its been made quite clear that what's been done so far and what will be done is an effort to slow the virus to first give time to make reasonable preparations in the health service and subsequently to manage the load on this beefed up service.

Flattening the curve, squishing the sombrero etc.

It's not about stopping people getting the virus, its about saving them when they get it. I don't think that's being hidden from anyone

I don't agree that this is not being conveyed to the public.

Its been made quite clear that what's been done so far and what will be done is an effort to slow the virus to first give time to make reasonable preparations in the health service and subsequently to manage the load on this beefed up service.

Flattening the curve, squishing the sombrero etc.

It's not about stopping people getting the virus, its about saving them when they get it. I don't think that's being hidden from anyone
I don't agree with you. I don't hear people saying that we are all going to get it only about how to avoid it. Most people I meet are of the opinion they aren't going to get it if they do x,y and z, but they will, and it's actually a necessity that they do for this to stop.

I don't agree with you. I don't hear people saying that we are all going to get it only about how to avoid it. Most people I meet are of the opinion they aren't going to get it if they do x,y and z, but they will, and it's actually a necessity that they do for this to stop.

There's a big difference between what people are being told and what they choose to hear.

Just because Leo isn't running around screaming "were all doomed" doesn't mean we're being mislead.

There's a big difference between what people are being told and what they choose to hear.

Just because Leo isn't running around screaming "were all doomed" doesn't mean we're being mislead.
It has not been made clear by the government that it's inevitable that everyone will get it and must get it. Terms like "slowing it in its tracks" instead of stopping it in its tracks is I believe purposefully manipulative.

You are not correct and you are spreading fear.

1.3 billion people in China. <100000 infections. China are now only seeing infection in people that are coming in to the country. Very few new community infections. There are WHO officials on the ground there that have confirmed this.

There are people who will come in contact with the virus in Ireland who's antibodies will be strong enough to fight it off. They won't become infected. Remember that this virus spreads like the flu virus. Not everybody gets the flu virus (approx 5 million people worldwide and 40,000 in Ireland).

There's no way to predict how many people will get this, but the facts are there that not everyone will get it. Social isolation will help to reduce the numbers as well as reduce the rate of infection so that hospitals can cope.

Everybody on the planet would need to stay at home for 2 to 3 weeks and not come into contact with anyone. If one infected person comes in contact with another who didnt have it it's back to square one. That's just not a realistic solution.
It's not realistic but that's the truth of necessity

It's a bit like having 100 cows to calve and only one calving pen. If they all calve the one day then your screwed
Yes but our government are thinking. They went to the coop, and bought a length of rope and 3 gates. Assembled the gates onto a wall outside, and made a new pen. They used the rope to make a few halthers so now they can put 2 cows in each pen. 400% increase in capacity.

You are not correct and you are spreading fear.

1.3 billion people in China. <100000 infections. China are now only seeing infection in people that are coming in to the country. Very few new community infections. There are WHO officials on the ground there that have confirmed this.

There are people who will come in contact with the virus in Ireland who's antibodies will be strong enough to fight it off. They won't become infected. Remember that this virus spreads like the flu virus. Not everybody gets the flu virus (approx 5 million people worldwide and 40,000 in Ireland).

There's no way to predict how many people will get this, but the facts are there that not everyone will get it. Social isolation will help to reduce the numbers as well as reduce the rate of infection so that hospitals can cope.
Not everyone becomes sick from the flu virus or very infectious but that doesn't mean you didn't come into contact with it, this though is highly infectious and just like the flu most people will not know they've even had it.
China will get a second wave as soon as they relax the movement restrictions. We know this it's been the plan all along, and you've proven my point that the government are not conveying this to the public!

Not everyone becomes sick from the flu virus or very infectious but that doesn't mean you didn't come into contact with it, this though is highly infectious and just like the flu most people will not know they've even had it.
China will get a second wave as soon as they relax the movement restrictions. We know this it's been the plan all along, and you've proven my point that the government are not conveying this to the public!

I'm not sure what country you are living in or what news outlets you subscribe to but it's been made very clear by the government that the intention is to slow the spread of the virus so that the health system has the capacity to care for the critical and severe cases. The measures taken and the advice given is not about stopping it, as that is nigh on impossible.

Back