Winter Barley 2020

Took ours out yesterday View attachment 75710

You’re not the only one! Took out 30 ac of Valerie a few days ago with the same tool. It was after OSR and was sown into a great seedbed but it was sown late. When the drill left the field, the rain arrived and never stopped . A combination of slugs, crows and rabbits played havoc and the barley had very little get up and go, especially in comparison with hybrid barley which was sown a month later. It was an easy decision to make to rip it up, hopefully spring wheat going in tomorrow.

You’re not the only one! Took out 30 ac of Valerie a few days ago with the same tool. It was after OSR and was sown into a great seedbed but it was sown late. When the drill left the field, the rain arrived and never stopped . A combination of slugs, crows and rabbits played havoc and the barley had very little get up and go, especially in comparison with hybrid barley which was sown a month later. It was an easy decision to make to rip it up, hopefully spring wheat going in tomorrow.

I have 20 acres of wheat the same. It was sown mid January and a lot of crow damage. Roundup in the next couple of days and if I can source two ton of bean seed they will be going in. But gives me a pain in the stomach thinking about it.

B4F7A68F-BDAF-4EF1-9538-9273F3E2636D.jpeg D7D3D7BC-458F-4E0C-993A-628259B1EF11.jpeg Patched in our bit that failed this afternoon. Was a bit tricky trying to follow the scribe at times but I guess we shouldn’t complain about dust considering the fodder rape field is still waiting to be ploughed and will be for another few days yet... tried to spray off the headland of it and I’m still not sure how I got away without needing a tow chain:no::no:

Anybody considering rolling WB? I am but unsure if it’s gone too strong. It’s about at the same stage as MF 30 crop above.

Anybody considering rolling WB? I am but unsure if it’s gone too strong. It’s about at the same stage as MF 30 crop above.
Unless you had a lot of stones I wouldn’t do it.

Crops have been through hell and we don’t want to add more pain (damage to plants and more soil compaction).
CCC will even out the tillers when things get kinder.

Is it too soon to go with CCC late this week or at the weekend, is it too cold yet to have sufficient growth to make it work?

Ive mine at 110 units, all in ley ground. Am planning to spray CCC in the next week, seems to be growing well so next bit of warm weather I'll spray. Bitterly cold here the last few days on high ground. Not sure how brave to be with the final N application, I haven't got risers for the combine...

Ive mine at 110 units, all in ley ground. Am planning to spray CCC in the next week, seems to be growing well so next bit of warm weather I'll spray. Bitterly cold here the last few days on high ground. Not sure how brave to be with the final N application, I haven't got risers for the combine...
I haven't decided how far to push mine. It's in 1st ley and very rich ground at that. I have risers for the combine and they are great things but a lodged crop is a pain in the hole.

Back