Spring Barley - General Thread

Good lump of a tractor, what gearbox is in it,
any harm to ask why the front weight on, was it a bit bouncy without the weight?
The weight was basically part of that tractor never taken off even when it had nothing on, Germans were all show that’s why I think they wanted me to leave it on. 8400R it was some gearbox with the plus and minus, I wasn’t gone on it, I used to drive an 8370R with the vario type trans the same as the 155R’s in lisbeg, that’s the best box in the deeres I think

Attachments

• 345A7358-FB8E-4E58-A0F5-8CE0AC2F95E1.png
    345A7358-FB8E-4E58-A0F5-8CE0AC2F95E1.png
    962.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 1EE3440B-4B89-4729-985A-6CA02EC791B9.png
    1EE3440B-4B89-4729-985A-6CA02EC791B9.png
    861.8 KB · Views: 97
b
The weight was basically part of that tractor never taken off even when it had nothing on, Germans were all show that’s why I think they wanted me to leave it on. 8400R it was some gearbox with the plus and minus, I wasn’t gone on it, I used to drive an 8370R with the vario type trans the same as the 155R’s in lisbeg, that’s the best box in the deeres I think

The 8400r has the E23 Powershift, don’t know much about it, I’d imagine it’s better for pulling than an Autopower, I’ve only driven an Autopower once, for a day ploughing, I’ve yet to be convinced to buy an Autopower or any similar type gearbox, I prefer the simple stuff, a steering wheel, gearstick, hand throttle :wink:

b

The 8400r has the E23 Powershift, don’t know much about it, I’d imagine it’s better for pulling than an Autopower, I’ve only driven an Autopower once, for a day ploughing, I’ve yet to be convinced to buy an Autopower or any similar type gearbox, I prefer the simple stuff, a steering wheel, gearstick, hand throttle :wink:
You could be right, less to go wrong, anytime I drive a John Deere it’s usually a 155 autopower, not going to lie I have a soft spot for them, serious comfort in them

Attachments

• 1A75CB64-AAEB-4095-8743-5B60BF644335.jpeg
    1A75CB64-AAEB-4095-8743-5B60BF644335.jpeg
    221.1 KB · Views: 69
Virtually no barley planted here yet. Ground is heavy and only just coming right. There’s a chance of some very heavy rain next Wednesday with settling coming again after that so I’m going to wait.

Barley was just coming up last April and got a right whack in one day, I couldn’t believe it didn’t rot.

Virtually no barley planted here yet. Ground is heavy and only just coming right. There’s a chance of some very heavy rain next Wednesday with settling coming again after that so I’m going to wait.

Barley was just coming up last April and got a right whack in one day, I couldn’t believe it didn’t rot.
We could do with a drop in Wexico to make the grass grow and keep the dust down :tt2:

Long way between now and Wednesday though and that could disappear yet. The models for here cant decide if it's going to rain or not on Saturday at this stage....

Long way between now and Wednesday though and that could disappear yet. The models for here cant decide if it's going to rain or not on Saturday at this stage....
I agree, it probably won’t be bad, just playing safe really.

Finished the first 20ha of spring barley, Errigal @ 185kg/ha.
I gave the ploughing a light run of the Karat and the headlands a deeper run.
View attachment 75367 View attachment 75368 View attachment 75369 View attachment 75370 View attachment 75371 View attachment 75372 View attachment 75373 View attachment 75374 View attachment 75375 View attachment 75376
That was quick, when was it sown? Usual rule of thumb here for mid March sowing is two weeks and two days for emergence.
20&21 March, so 2 weeks and 1 day. :Thumbp2:

Got nothing sown yet.. tomorrow is raining is it going to clear up after that? Not panicked as it's still very cold and some fields arent dried out yet. Going to leave the ploughing alone until sure of a good few days coming :unsure:

That's a fair size of a tractor for a 3m one pass.Is it a fert drill,? The first one pass I remember comming around here was a Ford 7610 dueled up and a kuhn accord.
It’s my neighbors. Yea it’s very big alright, he initially had a 6600 Deere, CS150, CVX185 and now the 7920, the drill is mounted very far back as he usually has the drill mounted on a helidor disc harrow instead of the power harrow but I wasn’t happy with the seedbed last spring with the disc so he put the power harrow on, the disc is fine in the autumn tho. The press is a 3m, is a heavy unit but he has 800/650 tyres with very low pressure so it’s very kind in land.

Back