New tractors versus classics

our 7810 lived on the fert spreader last summer. was handy as sometimes taking on and off a spreader is a pain in the ass if the link arms are short. repairs though, except for the starter going and usual service, never gave a problem

I bought a quick attach for the back of the tractor. I really don't know how I managed without it. Having the quick attach has allowed me to just need the one tractor on the farm because switching between implements is now so effortless and also much safer.

I bought a quick attach for the back of the tractor. I really don't know how I managed without it. Having the quick attach has allowed me to just need the one tractor on the farm because switching between implements is now so effortless and also much safer.
Did you buy one that does the PTO too?

I think looking at a tractor being 100k isn't the way to look at it you need to look at what kind of finance options are available what that tractor will be worth after 5 years.
Trouble is what's attached to the tractor is the one that makes you the money but you have to have the tractor!
I've always thought enough well maintained tractors and as new as possible machinery is the way to go.
We will get there some day

thought about a quick attach alright. way we worked around the short arms is to give a bit of space to put on the pto and hoses before fully backing into the spinner. just have to fight to get into the toplink. how much are they anyways?

Mud guard buttons for the hydraulics makes a big difference its the taking off of more than one pipe that makes it the chore!!

I asked some one about this once and theyd never used them because there was always 2 of them when they swopped stuff over!!!!!!!!!!

I think looking at a tractor being 100k isn't the way to look at it you need to look at what kind of finance options are available what that tractor will be worth after 5 years.
Trouble is what's attached to the tractor is the one that makes you the money but you have to have the tractor!
I've always thought enough well maintained tractors and as new as possible machinery is the way to go.
We will get there some day
I dunno 100k is a lot whichever way you go about paying for it, perhaps some form of contract hire where all the costs are known for a given period is the way, but it probably works out very dear. Have heard a figure of £18 per clock hour for up to 700 hrs a year on a hire basis although the person doing the hiring out said it wasn't really enough.

What percentage of these new tractors are being bought with the heart rather than the head I wonder? (I have done this in the past, but 20 years ago, the figures were far less scary :sweat:)
Reading here, I dont see too many farming sectors claiming to be doing overly well, so is it single payments, off farm income etc, thats paying for a lot of them?

I dunno 100k is a lot whichever way you go about paying for it, perhaps some form of contract hire where all the costs are known for a given period is the way, but it probably works out very dear. Have heard a figure of £18 per clock hour for up to 700 hrs a year on a hire basis although the person doing the hiring out said it wasn't really enough.
Depends what tractor that price is for, if its a 100hp basic tractor it's too high but if its a magnum or such like its cheap enough.

I should be considering going new but if i make the move, i should put up my hire rates to cover the inflated price of the tractor. Or else of course, just work for the thrill of driving a new tractor.:no:. Not the year to be asking for more i think .
Would any of the lads that bought hi spec tractors lately, see them being serviceable or reliable for 20 plus years ?

I should be considering going new but if i make the move, i should put up my hire rates to cover the inflated price of the tractor. Or else of course, just work for the thrill of driving a new tractor.:no:. Not the year to be asking for more i think .
Would any of the lads that bought hi spec tractors lately, see them being serviceable or reliable for 20 plus years ?
Lads that buy new tractors won't have them in 20 years

Lads that buy new tractors won't have them in 20 years
Considering that every new tractor bought at home over last 30 years, is still there and working.
Is it a case that the 'hi spec' new tractor today simply will not have this service life and will have to go back for a major overhaul in 10 years or so :scratchhead:.

Considering that every new tractor bought at home over last 30 years, is still there and working.
Is it a case that the 'hi spec' new tractor today simply will not have this service life and will have to go back for a major overhaul in 10 years or so :scratchhead:.
Considering the price of new and the fact that you can get a new vario fitted for 12 grand or reman engine for less there is alt to be said for running these tractors to 16,000hrs

Will the drop in diesel price not mean that contractor charges will come down this year? After all, it was the reason given for the increase in contractor charges every year for the last 30 years? We have never seen such a drop in fuel prices. Surely the contractor needs to do the right thing and give something back to his bread and butter instead of using increased profits to satisfy his heavy metal disease?

:ban:

I guess the depreciation cost per hour of the tractor in terms of ownership should be compared to the work that the tractor has done in those hours?

A 100hp basic tractor won’t do the same work in an hour compared to a 200hp tillage prime mover if both are fully employed.

Other factors kick in too - a used 120hp well minded loader tractor with 7000hrs will sell like a hot cake compared to the 200hp 7000hr tillage tractor - reasons being there are lots of potential customers for the loader tractor. The man looking for the 200hp tractor probably have less tolerance for break down delays due to seasonal work load demands.

Lots of factors at play so maybe a simple €/hr in depreciation isn’t a black & white metric for comparison.

Will the drop in diesel price not mean that contractor charges will come down this year? After all, it was the reason given for the increase in contractor charges every year for the last 30 years? We have never seen such a drop in fuel prices. Surely the contractor needs to do the right thing and give something back to his bread and butter instead of using increased profits to satisfy his heavy metal disease?

No

If the price of baling was index linked to the price of Machinery and fuel since the first Big Baler came around in 1976 you would not be asking that question .

No farming sector is printing money but I think contractors need every chance they can get. It’s a overworked and underpaid business if I ever saw one.
I wouldn’t dream of asking for a price reduction as fuel has come down as I’d expect that fuel won’t stay this cheap for much more than year.
I wish them the best of luck if they can make a decent profit for a year or so.

The one chance contractors have to make a few extra Euro and you think they should pass it on to their customers instead.

Farmer/contractor here. I had no notion of changing baler or tractor previously, but over the last few years ,on a couple of minor breakdowns, i have been asked by the farmer am i going to upgrade or what !. God forbid, his grass would get wet ! The farmers in this area are spoilt with the level of service they get. My price has gone up 10 % in ten years. What has the machinery gone up in that time ? I was going increasing price this year, but hopefully if the price of diesel stays down for the whole season, i wont have to.

I won't be saying anything to the contactor about the diesel, other than maybe just a bit of slagging.

But the lads who were saying that they were going to have to pass on the carbon tax to the farmer should be made pass on the reduction.

The answer to this question is different for everyone. If the purchase of a new tractor wasnt tax deductible it would rarely happen.
My personal view which may tainted by many factors is that the margin in most agricultural things except dairy is slim to negative therefore spending more than necessary on anything makes no sense from a business perspective.
The purchase of shiny metal is rarely a pure business decision.
A smart fella told me kind of a joke once.
"Why does a man buy a fendt"
Answer-because he can.
That's definitely not a poke at anyone here but can be applied to other fancy kit too.
A comprehensive study in the uk of tillage crop establishment costs inc labour found no difference per acre between older smaller and bigger newer gear.to some that says why not have the latest,others may say there is no saving so why spend big.
Timeliness may come in to it too.
A very senior accountant in the largest agri accounting firm in Ireland told me a few years ago that if most large contractors sold all their gear tomorrow they would still owe money on it after.
That doesn't sound like a robust business to build up and hand down to the next generation.
I've heard other wise men with similar sayings over the years and the older singer the more I agree.
Machinery is a disease for many,described as "heavy metal disease " by an American farmer speaking at an event I was at once.
Logic is only part of life,the heart must have its say.if it makes u happy and u can afford it maybe new is right for some,not others.
I used to keep 2 tractors one being kept fresh,8 years ago I bought a 3rd s/h tractor so I wouldn't be stuck in the event of a breakdown and I'm better off in every way except tax breaks.
In my humble opinion

As for the contractor prices falling dur to diesel falling, it's an understandable question. If the price of equipment wasn't rising so much maybe it could happen and I'm sure some hungry contractors especially young lads will fall for it.
Personally I wont be reducing prices.
I'm at the lower end on many things anyway

If the contractor were to pass on the saving, would it even make a significant difference to the customer?

The last time a contractor made bales here in 2013, it was 5 euros a bale. I think its still 5 euros a bale now.

Back