Cheap Reliable Tractor

If you were only using the tractor for that specific job would you consider buying something like a 6 ton dumper?

I had a look through Done Deal this morning at dumpers and this might be a better option. You would get a good 9/10 ton dumper for 10k

You'd almost buy two big ish dumpers for that money
Filling one whilst tipping the other will get you through serious work!

I hired a dumper to do footings for my home. Must say it was far superior to a tractor and trailer in awkward places.
You soon gain time not worrying where your reversing. And better in sticky conditions when loaded.

Have you the dump trailer already and is not going to sit idle if you buy a dumper :undecided:

I know nothing about dumpers but are they easily turned around too when the time comes to sell.:scratchhead: especially big ones?

Have you the dump trailer already and is not going to sit idle if you buy a dumper :undecided:

I know nothing about dumpers but are they easily turned around too when the time comes to sell.:scratchhead: especially big ones?

I already have one dump trailer and I intend to keep using it at the same time.
It could be a bad time to buy a dumper as I think there is a crash coming. The prices of the big ones isn't that much more than the small ones so probably would be hard to move on when selling.

Dumpers are dangerous yokes though. Unless you're tight on space I would rather be inside a cab driving a tractor and trailer than out on a dumper.

Dumpers are dangerous yokes though. Unless you're tight on space I would rather be inside a cab driving a tractor and trailer than out on a dumper.

I would prefer a tractor as well, but I need to look for a tractor plus a trailer and it will take a bit of time to find something in any sort of middling condition. There seems to be a good selection of 9 ton dumpers on Done Deal for the same money as you would buy a rough tractor for, and you would only have to buy one thing. I might buy nothing but it would be great to get something and speed the job up a bit to get it finished.

I would prefer a tractor as well, but I need to look for a tractor plus a trailer and it will take a bit of time to find something in any sort of middling condition. There seems to be a good selection of 9 ton dumpers on Done Deal for the same money as you would buy a rough tractor for, and you would only have to buy one thing. I might buy nothing but it would be great to get something and speed the job up a bit to get it finished.

I think you should consider hiring a dumper for a weekend to see if it would suit you first.

Youd have a lot of stuff moved with the one yoke while youd be going around looking at one to buy.

Youd have a lot of stuff moved with the one yoke while youd be going around looking at one to buy.
20200515_082327.jpg
I have a lot to move, if I had two leading I would make up the lost time quick

Attachments

• 20200515_082327.jpg
    20200515_082327.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 18
Would it pay to hire in someone with a big volvo and tracked machine? They'd do in a day what a tractor and dumper would do in a week.

View attachment 78371
I have a lot to move, if I had two leading I would make up the lost time quick
It is the earth you do not move that you make the money on . This was told to me by an earth moving contractor over forty years ago.
It is too rocky for a scraper. It does not matter how much you pay for a tractor if you are going to sell it again .

Would it pay to hire in someone with a big volvo and tracked machine? They'd do in a day what a tractor and dumper would do in a week.
That’s exactly what I thought when I saw the material.
Claim back the vat and put the rest against tax.

What do you find dangerous about them?

6ton dumper here. No comparison in our view compared to a tractor and trailer. Way quicker on shifting around field yards etc..in our way of working at I find a dumper best for shifting across fields, dump trailer for long draw, bought our dumper 8 years ago for 2k. Off a builder retiring. a dumper would be fairly more easier to fix also if it decided to break. Just my views

Enclosed roll structure as opposed to a roll bar would be number 1

Number 2 is having to get the driver down every time you load because they pretty much sit in the skip (without any protection from the bucket)

Number 3 is the poor visibility when driving because theres 9 tonne of stuff in front of you.

Number 2 is less of an issue in this scenario as he plans on loading one while the second is dumping.

I've used a dumper in the past and they have serious advantages in terms of traction and maneuverability but where those aren't key factors I wouldn't be crazy about them as a machine.

Enclosed roll structure as opposed to a roll bar would be number 1

Number 2 is having to get the driver down every time you load because they pretty much sit in the skip (without any protection from the bucket)

Number 3 is the poor visibility when driving because theres 9 tonne of stuff in front of you.

Number 2 is less of an issue in this scenario as he plans on loading one while the second is dumping.

I've used a dumper in the past and they have serious advantages in terms of traction and maneuverability but where those aren't key factors I wouldn't be crazy about them as a machine.
Anything without a cab in this Country isnt ideal either.

What do you find dangerous about them?

6ton dumper here. No comparison in our view compared to a tractor and trailer. Way quicker on shifting around field yards etc..in our way of working at I find a dumper best for shifting across fields, dump trailer for long draw, bought our dumper 8 years ago for 2k. Off a builder retiring. a dumper would be fairly more easier to fix also if it decided to break. Just my views
Know a young fella up the road who was caught under one when it heeled forwards on him, tipping a huge rock out over a ledge and the rock got caught on the edge of the dumped n threw her over forward. He lived but spents months in a cage holding his spine in place.

Know a young fella up the road who was caught under one when it heeled forwards on him, tipping a huge rock out over a ledge and the rock got caught on the edge of the dumped n threw her over forward. He lived but spents months in a cage holding his spine in place.
i did not mean that they are safe, I’ve seen often plenty of videos and heared of accidents on them, I see where ye are coming from, but no more with everything there is out there safe and proper use of them goes far. The main purpose of a straight tip dumper is to not be on it when stationary(loading) that’s the way you are trained correctly in courses to drive them. There still is danger in tipping them with rocks, but in my honest opinion rocks shouldn’t be in dumpers in the first place, just think about it when the body pivots enough all the weight moves to the forward in turn lifting the back making a slingshot effect:confused3:not picking at any of the lads views on them either, just my own thoughts on them :Thumbp2:

i did not mean that they are safe, I’ve seen often plenty of videos and heared of accidents on them, I see where ye are coming from, but no more with everything there is out there safe and proper use of them goes far. The main purpose of a straight tip dumper is to not be on it when stationary(loading) that’s the way you are trained correctly in courses to drive them. There still is danger in tipping them with rocks, but in my honest opinion rocks shouldn’t be in dumpers in the first place, just think about it when the body pivots enough all the weight moves to the forward in turn lifting the back making a slingshot effect:confused3:not picking at any of the lads views on them either, just my own thoughts on them :Thumbp2:
Only saying. Gotta be aware of what you are doing with them. If people get on well with them though fair play.

That would be the ideal way of doing it but it wouldn't be ideal in this situation. I am placing the fill on moss and at it's shallowest point it is only going in a foot deep. I am selecting the fill from different piles to suit the job. I am putting in a layer of stones first, the smaller stuff at the shallow end and the bigger rocks at the deep end. I dig out six inches of moss from the low end to get a deeper layer of filling in and place the moss over the fill at the deeper end. I then coat the whole thing with finer filling. If I just dump it in as I dig it out, the shallow end just ends up as a muck hole and it ends up worse than before I started. It's a slow process and I don't want to be coming back trying to sort out problems at a later date.

Back