Silage 2020

We measured that last tuesday, tested it for N and sugars at the same time and it was a tough job to get the juice out with the garlic crusher
Oh i taught it was this am. Would be 20 so. What sort of sugars reading did you get? Had some serious high ones over the last few weeks, serious feed value in high sugars

Attachments

• 20200525_144842.jpg
    20200525_144842.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 117
Did they sell their organic herd lately? There was a clearance auction up there I presumed it was their herd.

There was an auction all right, whether it was a clearance auction or not is the big question, they are supposed to have bought some of them back. I wasn't past the farm lately to know if there is cows still there but I would say it's true enough that they bought them back. There does be a lot of wheelings and dealings going on, it's hard to keep up.
I made enquiries one time to a third party about getting digestate and they forgot about it, I thought to myself afterwards that it could be a good thing:wink: iykwim

My in-laws wud be living a good stones throw from that farm, they made a great job of it, but I haven’t been up there since Christmas. But I know what u mean about a lot of wheeling and dealing.

Savage crop, tedder will struggle putting 20ft of this through...
Btw, I cut a sample on Sunday evening and froze it, got Teagasc to test it today. Nitrogen was gone out of it and sugars were 4.3% so good to fire on ahead.
View attachment 78446
no crops like that round here anyway, 6 to 8 bales to the acre and pit silage including my own back by at least 25% but that was last week and grass has grown well over the last 5 days or so

no crops like that round here anyway, 6 to 8 bales to the acre and pit silage including my own back by at least 25% but that was last week and grass has grown well over the last 5 days or so
This was reseeded last September and had woolly animals on it for the winter, 2 bags of 18-6-12 and 2 bags of sul can later it's in good order. I’d say growth has almost stopped, I was going to take out 2 extra paddocks for bales but the biggest cattle wouldn’t let me in explaining that they reckoned they’d be better strip grazing it rather than me feeding them bales back. They’ve more time to figure all this technical stuff out so I left them to it..

This was reseeded last September and had woolly animals on it for the winter, 2 bags of 18-6-12 and 2 bags of sul can later it's in good order. I’d say growth has almost stopped, I was going to take out 2 extra paddocks for bales but the biggest cattle wouldn’t let me in explaining that they reckoned they’d be better strip grazing it rather than me feeding them bales back. They’ve more time to figure all this technical stuff out so I left them to it..
And what does the dog say about the biggest cattle doing their own thing ?

And what does the dog say about the biggest cattle doing their own thing ?
My dogs give the biggest cattle a wide berth, they’re more interested in what the young calves deposit on the ground after them, must be a doggy delicacy.

Not too dissimilar around here, back 20% here. Glad I took out a few extra paddocks, the ones mown last week are greening up nicely so there is a bit of growth still but slow. Even wet land has slowed down.

Are crops light lads?

I was in Galway today and saw very little cut between here and there - even the local dairy farmer who is always first out of the blocks has nothing done. The lad beside us had the mower in this afternoon - I was across his field last week and thought it very light, I was going to bench mark our cutting time off his, but I'll certainly be holding out for another week to 10 days.

How much of the silage campaign is done with the contractors in the south at this stage? Would he be over half way?

Are crops light lads?

I was in Galway today and saw very little cut between here and there - even the local dairy farmer who is always first out of the blocks has nothing done. The lad beside us had the mower in this afternoon - I was across his field last week and thought it very light, I was going to bench mark our cutting time off his, but I'll certainly be holding out for another week to 10 days.
Yeah a lot of small pits and low bale counts,no rush on anyone around here anyway with a good few outfits parked up waiting for for crops to bulk a bit which if we don’t get rain I can’t see happening.

Are crops light lads?

Crops light over my way mucky little or nothing cut worth talking about, going to cut some of ours at the weekend it’s only middling but have to make a start. dad was chatting a lad we do baling for said his meadows are only tranings. But lots of bales left over from last year so nobody is too panicked.

Won't be doing anything for 3 weeks probably. When we closed up we were aiming for end of the first week in june. Now it will be middle at best. Can't really afford a small first cut.

Back