Tik toc videos showing reckless behaviour our

bk1991

So whats everyones views on the tik toc videos that went viral with lads messing about with machinery.

Attachments

• 8769A1ED-C001-4221-B56D-92BCD3F906C5.png
    8769A1ED-C001-4221-B56D-92BCD3F906C5.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 131
  • AEA96E0A-8BD6-4F2A-8B45-135BF78D1DFC.png
    AEA96E0A-8BD6-4F2A-8B45-135BF78D1DFC.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 126
Anyone caught or identified carrying on with that messing should be fired on the spot, end of.

They have said that the garda are involved and are investigating further and rightly so. Its lads like that that do give bad names to the the contractors who are trying to go about there job.

All the messing coulda turned into a serious injury or fatality very quickly

The same type of guys that will be crying when sooner or later the HSA comes down like a ton of bricks and someone ends up doing some time.

These kind of antics and being stupid enough to film it mean that its only a matter of time before agriculture will be tidied up with method statements, competency training, appointed safety offices etc etc.

I would wonder is there drugs involved because flipping a quad is absolutely nuts . If it was my tractor they would be walking home.

The guy climbing up the steep bank on the quad, did it register with him at all that if it rolled back over him, it could be wheelchair or coffin territory

Young lads here can only drive a tractor with 40kph box. Can’t haul any implements more than 2.8m wide and 4m long (includes the drawbar). Max gross hauling weight is 6.5t. Those restrictions hold until they get a full driving license.
Any infractions and they’re put off the road and can’t apply for a full driving license for 5yrs.

Messing on the road, absolutely no sympathy for those lads. Fella on a quad, as if most of us have done the same thing. I know I've been standing on a trailer drawbar/tractor lift down the road, I'd say I didn't add to it by distracting myself with filming it though. The video of the fella on the spout seemed to be sped up.
I think this has purposefully been put out there to try and paint a picture that farm accidents happen because farmers are inherently reckless feckers. Rather than the fact that many many farms have substandard run down facilities, that just are not safe to operate, coupled with the fact it's a dangerous often unpredictable job to begin with, and multiplied by the ever aging farming population and lack of adequate help and isolation when things go wrong.
Nobody want to admit that rather than a 14yo shouldn't or cannot operate a tractor on a steep slope, it's rather the fact it was a Massey 390 pulling a 2000gal tanker or some antiquated equipment that was the catalyst of the issue.

Was at a hsa briefing and their stance is that the spare seat in a tractor is only for operator training and is not for carrying passengers.

And that a full licenced driver can only carry passengers.

Reactions: Paw
ive seen a few . 1 involved a boy that was ploughing getting out the tractor and dancing on the roof while it was moving . its no wonder were getting roasted with stupid regulations that mean your pto turns of if you leave the seat :curse::curse: as for sacking them ,agree totally but how do you sack the farmers son ???
as for contractors taking on these young boys with f all experiance and sticking them in big machines thats shocking to , can tell you it doesnt happen at our work and if 1 did get though the door he'd be getting telt soon enough if his foot was getting to heavy

think this has purposefully been put out there to try and paint a picture that farm accidents happen because farmers are inherently reckless feckers. Rather than the fact that many many farms have substandard run down facilities, that just are not safe to operate, coupled with the fact it's a dangerous often unpredictable job to begin with, and multiplied by the ever aging farming population and lack of adequate help and isolation when things go wrong.
Nobody want to admit

BUT having substandard run down facilities that just are not safe to operate IS inherently reckless.! !!

There are loads of “dangerous unpredictable activities “ out there. Each sector is expected to deal with it through risk assessments, method statements, training, competence and experience. Etc.

Farming is a place of work just like any other place of work and should not be above or beyond The law imv. (Which it kinda feels like at the moment).

BUT having substandard run down facilities that just are not safe to operate IS inherently reckless.! !!

There are loads of “dangerous unpredictable activities “ out there. Each sector is expected to deal with it through risk assessments, method statements, training, competence and experience. Etc.

Farming is a place of work just like any other place of work and should not be above or beyond The law imv. (Which it kinda feels like at the moment).
Bringing standards up costs money end of. Not possible with costs and prices right now

Bringing standards up costs money end of. Not possible with costs and prices right now

Whether it does or does not cost money it is not a valid reason (or excuse) in the context of Health and Safety Legislation & Regulations.

It cost money to replace a hydraulic pump that fails.. the likes of a PTO guard is no different..

It does not cost money to not stand on the roof of a moving tractor.

No offense fella, but that mindset is the exact problem in farming.

I sat for 3 hours before in a farm safety talk, listening to people that had lost arms, eyes, children and at the end of it men and women had the neck to stand up and argue about who was going to pay for safety. The same bloody eejits that should be setting the example for the young gobshites that are posting these videos.

I can't afford to throw stones myself but there are no excuses.

Idiots have always done these things.
Just till now it was limited to Snapchat and so dissapeered into cyber space after viewing.

I presume Tic Tok is more publuc and the vid hangs around (know nothing of tik tok tbh!) So goes further.

Still amazes me what some will do for atention though. Pathetic really!

Copied from The RSA website.

• As an employer, you should be aware that directors may be prosecuted for a work-related road collision if it is proven they have not managed safety properly.

You have obligations in the following areas as an employer:
    • Duty of care—you must take measures to assure that work-related journeys are safe, members of staff are able to drive safely, and all vehicles and associated equipment are fit for use. You should also be aware of your duty towards the safety of other road users and pedestrians affected by your drivers.
    • Safe systems of work—you must put in place proper systems of work such as documented safe systems of work for securing vehicle loads. You must have a safety statement that identifies all possible hazards, assesses risks to your employees, and provides adequate controls to minimise risk.
    • Information, instruction, and training—you should give your employees proper information and training to protect their safety, health, and welfare.
  • EU Rules on Driving say that you as an employer must:
    • not expect employees to drive under conditions that are unsafe; this means drivers must obey the rules on driving time, breaks and rest periods and that their vehicles should be roadworthy and fit for use.
    • never put pressure on a driver to complete a journey in a shorter amount of time than is needed or to use a vehicle that is not roadworthy.
    • not enter into contracts with schedules that could endanger your drivers or other road users.
Notification of road collisions
You should notify the HSA if your employee has an accident involving:

• driving or riding a vehicle for their work
  • exposure to a dangerous substance or injury from an article being carried by a vehicle for work
  • road repair or road construction activities, including road work done by others

I understand your opinions and of course they are valid. The fact though remains that most farms are losing money and can't afford to improve. You can say it's not an excuse but it kind of is the problem. I'd say 90% of farmers would improve their farm facilities before spending it on their own home, but the money just isn't there to do it.

There are plenty very profitable farms where machinery is not maintained to a high standard. Likewise there a many farms who take great care keeping machinery in good working order.

Many of the problems you will see cost little to avoid or rectify. For example having all windows and mirrors clean. Taking time to properly explain how a machine works. Simply slowing down!

Many older, cheaper machines are perfectly safe. In my mind cost is only an excuse. If a machine is unsafe it should be used.....no exceptions.

Bear in mind if an accident occurs and you are found to be at fault you could potentially end up in prison, and/or lose your farm in the process

There are plenty very profitable farms where machinery is not maintained to a high standard. Likewise there a many farms who take great care keeping machinery in good working order.

Many of the problems you will see cost little to avoid or rectify. For example having all windows and mirrors clean. Taking time to properly explain how a machine works. Simply slowing down!

Many older, cheaper machines are perfectly safe. In my mind cost is only an excuse. If a machine is unsafe it should be used.....no exceptions.

Bear in mind if an accident occurs and you are found to be at fault you could potentially end up in prison, and/or lose your farm in the process
Most accidents we hear of is a son or a grandfather or the farmer himself. Would the most common killers not be cattle and slurry gases rather than machinery? So upgrading a shed, or slatted tank from a 30 or 40 year old design may cost 10s or 100s of thousands. Hell we have to but out all our wiring on the farm and have it redone by a certified spark and what you reckon that'll cost, in the region of 15k!

Most accidents we hear of is a son or a grandfather or the farmer himself. Would the most common killers not be cattle and slurry gases rather than machinery? So upgrading a shed, or slatted tank from a 30 or 40 year old design may cost 10s or 100s of thousands. Hell we have to but out all our wiring on the farm and have it redone by a certified spark and what you reckon that'll cost, in the region of 15k!

No one is going to disagree with that statement, ( without being flippant most farm workers are some ones son or dad !!!) yes cattle and slurry gases are big dangers in the work places,
I can also appreciate finding 15k to do a rewriting job is steep, but it is surely a working cost IE needs to doing a s a business expense,

Those Arse driving vehicles and quads didn't look to old to me, looked exactly like they knew what they were doing, and knew enough enough to know it was wrong and by putting it on the social job would get em some kudos,,, it be even worse if it was some farmer or his son !!! At least a worker could be fired for it,
And no none of us are perfect but if you really want to use vehicles and equipment that unsafe to the extent where it dangerous than Darwin will sort you out and there will be an investigation, there's a heap of difference between not being ABLE to afford to replace old/defective stuff and not being being arsed to use what you've got safely,,, or indeed having the stones to tell your boss "sorry I ain't using that till we fx it, " IF he then says use it or walk, perhaps he ain't the kind of bloke you want to work for,,
He might say "I didn't know it was broken" let's get it sorted, ,,, it's a 2 way street,

I think I massively disrespects people who lost their lives in farm accidents through no fault of their own. The carry on by these fools is shocking and I think they should be made a example of by the gaurds. Also should tic toc not be held accountable abit aswell??

Back