Covid 19

While I am not defending nursing homes or their owners, the HSE, Department of health and government have a lot to answer for in this. They did a lot right, but this they f#€£ed up royally, they sent patients with Covid to the vast majority of the nursing homes affected, they actively recruited nurses from these nursing homes, they panic bought up all the supplies of PPE even off the suppliers of these nursing homes that the HSE had never dealt with before.

Last edited:
I'd say so the waste of it eased frighting and probably a bidding war as well to get it, add in the cost of sending planes to go get it not hard to imagine
Even if you include what's already been spent this year on ppe that figure is off the wall. If there was 100k patients, which there isn't, that would be €10,000 per head, just for gloves, gowns and masks which are not even needed. The figures that come out of the hse are mental, you would wonder where the money really goes. An extra 100 people in ICU had them at breaking point. All the billions we've given them over the years don't seem to go very far.

Even if you include what's already been spent this year on ppe that figure is off the wall. If there was 100k patients, which there isn't, that would be €10,000 per head, just for gloves, gowns and masks which are not even needed. The figures that come out of the hse are mental, you would wonder where the money really goes. An extra 100 people in ICU had them at breaking point. All the billions we've given them over the years don't seem to go very far.
The HSE wouldn't know how to respect money they blow their budgets every year. When this all settles I bet there'll be no mention of the waste caused by the single use ppe. Every time they leave a room new gloves mask and gown is what I'm given to under stand. Given that they say they spent 1 billion most of that will end up in a tip. It frighten waste. I don't blame the front line staff for the waste they can only work with what they were given and guidelines they had to follow. Surely though there was a reusable option they could of looked at for a lot of it if that had been In place they might not of needed to panic buy so much ppe on the fly.

The HSE wouldn't know how to respect money they blow their budgets every year. When this all settles I bet there'll be no mention of the waste caused by the single use ppe. Every time they leave a room new gloves mask and gown is what I'm given to under stand. Given that they say they spent 1 billion most of that will end up in a tip. It frighten waste. I don't blame the front line staff for the waste they can only work with what they were given and guidelines they had to follow. Surely though there was a reusable option they could of looked at for a lot of it if that had been In place they might not of needed to panic buy so much ppe on the fly.
To reuse gowns and gloves you would need a thorough wash down from top to toe every time. And would need to dry off.
The lodgistics and cost of that would be mind boggling! Not to mention the equipmemt would need to be tough. Imagine nurses running round in something like a milking apron all day. I know where they'd tell you to shove it!:lol:

But there is no doubt that hospitals need to be put in line with spending. The figures for simple equipment is stupid.

Sure look at all the toilet roll that ordinary people bought this last 3 months. Surely there is some type of reusable option?

A lady on joe Duffy today was at the demonstration. First thing joe mentions is the social distancing, she refuses to talk about it and says her issues are more important. ‘It’s a disgrace what happened in the USA and shows what a shit hole it can be but Jesus were are trying to beat a deadly virus here and they go and stand on top of each other! Are they pure stupid or what! Lockdown my hole

A lady on joe Duffy today was at the demonstration. First thing joe mentions is the social distancing, she refuses to talk about it and says her issues are more important. ‘It’s a disgrace what happened in the USA and shows what a shit hole it can be but Jesus were are trying to beat a deadly virus here and they go and stand on top of each other! Are they pure stupid or what! Lockdown my hole

https://wexfordtoday.com/2020/06/02/opinion-varadkar-fails-to-condemn-illegal-gathering/

Back