I'm Looking For...

That looks the perfect size jd-baz, just a quick question about the riddle bucket, is it just for separating stones from clay?

This is a riddle bucket I made and use it for separating stones from clay, both types have their advantages in different situations

index.php

This is a riddle bucket I made and use it for separating stones from clay, both types have their advantages in different situations

index.php
That's a fine piece of engineering.
Is there a reason for not having higher sides to hold more stuff?

Any reason for an inline one? Would not recommend one, go for offset mounted if you can.

If you have a reasonable budget, a mower is a better buy and that comes from someone with a topper.
Have a 6ft semi offset topper here, too small for the job.Home Farm here very hilly and rock jutting up in places uneven terrain.Had a disc mower before, not suitable for this ground.

Can you get an offset mounted in a 9ft? Seems to be only trailed types available.

There’s a reason why, they’re a balls of a job, unless your towing it on row crop wheels you’ll leave wheelings. As others have said a disc mover with topping skids far better job.
Disc mower not suitable for ground here, very uneven hilly terrain with rock jutting out in places.

That's a fine piece of engineering.
Is there a reason for not having higher sides to hold more stuff?

That's just the way I made it but if I was making it again I would makes the sides higher but not to hold more stuff, it would be to hold stones on that sit on the edge, when you swing around they have a habit of falling of.
You don't need it to hold any more than it already can hold, if you put to much in the bucket it doesn't work right. I only fill the bucket half way and then curl it up and the material falls down to the back. In sticky stuff you might have to do that two or three times. I had the lend of an ordinary bucket that was made from a digging bucket before I made that and I didn't like it. There is no room in the bucket for the material to move around and fall out and you end up shaking the bucket to try and get it out. With that there is no shaking, you just curl the bucket up.

Last edited:
That’s a very interesting style of bucket, it would be interesting to see it in operation

I had a video of it on my old phone and I kept meaning to put it up here but the phone got cooked in the car one day and I don't think I get much of it now. I must take another one.

Disc mower not suitable for ground here, very uneven hilly terrain with rock jutting out in places.
How about a 8ft side mounted? I used to work for a topper company and if you can avoid inline at any cost, what size is your tractor, you’d need something around the size of a MF 390 to have comfort with one on hilly ground.

How about a 8ft side mounted? I used to work for a topper company and if you can avoid inline at any cost, what size is your tractor, you’d need something around the size of a MF 390 to have comfort with one on hilly ground.
Tractor is plenty big , 6 cylinder 120hp Zetor.What would you recommend make wise in an 8ft side mounted?

Well any of the centre pivot ones will give best float Major are always good but my Old employer Abbey have a centre pivot now as well I think, once there is a comer drive line in it you can’t go too wrong.

Myself and @Mf240 were discussing the pros and cons of disc mower v topper on rough terrain . He has some ground not for the faint hearted , and i have some very uneven ground , with odd rocks sticking up . Really needs to be ploughed , but I have it built up well in fertility and like the type of grass in it . And I hate picking stones .
240 was of the opinion that disc mower could handle it better than his side mounted topper .
Disc mowers would have the lions share of topping covered , around here anyway .

Myself and @Mf240 were discussing the pros and cons of disc mower v topper on rough terrain . He has some ground not for the faint hearted , and i have some very uneven ground , with odd rocks sticking up . Really needs to be ploughed , but I have it built up well in fertility and like the type of grass in it . And I hate picking stones .
240 was of the opinion that disc mower could handle it better than his side mounted topper .
Disc mowers would have the lions share of topping covered , around here anyway .
Had a marangon disc mower some years back, it came in contact with few of the aforementioned rocks, the bed became loose fecked the whole mower up, couldn’t be dealing with it.At least if you hit something with the topper the worst will happen is the shear bolts need to be replaced.Disc mowers perfect for flat level ground and of course they give a much better finish then any topper and better regrowth.

Had a marangon disc mower some years back, it came in contact with few of the aforementioned rocks, the bed became loose fecked the whole mower up, couldn’t be dealing with it.At least if you hit something with the topper the worst will happen is the shear bolts need to be replaced.Disc mowers perfect for flat level ground and of course they give a much better finish then any topper and better regrowth.

A neighbour of ours who died in 2005 , had a Marangon mower .
Bought sh , but to do very small acres it gave a lot of trouble .
He used to say , "They should have named it Margarine,
Because that's what it seems to be made from..."

I'll get a picture if i think of it when topping uneven ground with it. Youd be surprised how much better it goes than a topper. Have some very rocky ground here and I find your better of spraying it once a year rather than trying to cut it with anything.

A neighbour of ours who died in 2005 , had a Marangon mower .
Bought sh , but to do very small acres it gave a lot of trouble .
He used to say , "They should have named it Margarine,
Because that's what it seems to be made from..."
Maybe my bad experiences with the marangon have put me off disc mowers for life

I'll get a picture if i think of it when topping uneven ground with it. Youd be surprised how much better it goes than a topper. Have some very rocky ground here and I find your better of spraying it once a year rather than trying to cut it with anything.
What make of disc mower have you got?

What make of disc mower have you got?

I've a malone, I bought it new in 2012. It's done a lot of topping since and I mowed the silage with it for a few years too. Still do if I get time but contractor has been doing most of the mowing lately. It's ok. It was cheaper than other makes and I wanst keen on secondhand.

If i was going again I'd be looking at krone.

Have a 6ft semi offset topper here, too small for the job.Home Farm here very hilly and rock jutting up in places uneven terrain.Had a disc mower before, not suitable for this ground.

Can you get an offset mounted in a 9ft? Seems to be only trailed types available.

Major and Abbey as said above do 9ft Toppers as do Fleming.

I would not be too keen on going secondhand to be honest if possible.

I’ve an abbey in-line topper,it’s been very good,replaced the rubber drive donuts and used a fair few shear bolts over the years but still going.

What are guys impressions of pro dig shear grabs? Standard 5ft grab without the plastic retainer thing. Is there any other makes out there that would be as strong as profit look? Not Flemming or quickie. Our own is past its sell by date now and looking for something before the winter

Back