Cows apatite

FIAT 450

Anyone finding it hard to fill cows these days? Cows are on 2 grazing / paddock system here with 1200kg covers. Feed to yeild here 3-6.5kgs per head per day and now eating 16kgs of maize just wondering if anyone else is finding the same?

Anyone finding it hard to fill cows these days? Cows are on 2 grazing / paddock system here with 1200kg covers. Feed to yeild here 3-6.5kgs per head per day and now eating 16kgs of maize just wondering if anyone else is finding the same?
take your cow eating 3kgs of meal and 3.5kgs DM of maize, thats only 6kgs of DM buffer feed. need to find up on 60 kgs of grass to fill themselves. what sort of yields are you getting

In the low 30s hard to tell as there are autumn calvers and cows that are culls and carry overs in the mix also. Grass is good quality last rotation was 18days will extend that now don't think I ever had as good of covers.

Are you grazing paddocks that were topped, baled, pre mowed or after grass? Short leafy stuff?
I’m finding the opposite here, cows are relatively content on smaller allocations but grazing heavier covers than you tho

Are you grazing paddocks that were topped, baled, pre mowed or after grass? Short leafy stuff?
I’m finding the opposite here, cows are relatively content on smaller allocations but grazing heavier covers than you tho
Ya it would have been topped last round well most of it. Would be leafy enough I sopose maybe it's too lush?

Ya it would have been topped last round well most of it. Would be leafy enough I sopose maybe it's too lush?
Are you cutting and weighing the grass or just eyeballing the covers? Are you over estimating the amount of grass in a paddock? Cows eat a huge amount of short leafy grass, yesterday we have to move the cows mid day as they were grazing after grass From bales made a few weeks back and they had it all eaten even tho I taught I gave them plenty. You have high yielding cows so their demand would be very high, probably 18/19kgs of DM.

Would they be looking for roughage or would the maize gave it covered, are the paddocks to small for them,

Are you cutting and weighing the grass or just eyeballing the covers? Are you over estimating the amount of grass in a paddock? Cows eat a huge amount of short leafy grass, yesterday we have to move the cows mid day as they were grazing after grass From bales made a few weeks back and they had it all eaten even tho I taught I gave them plenty. You have high yielding cows so their demand would be very high, probably 18/19kgs of DM.
No just eyeballing it. Never seen them eat as much this time of year esp with grass and weather been so good. Ya they be high enough but extreme or anything. They be getting half a kg of straw aswell. They aren't been made graze paddocks with nothing on it when they are finished they are moved on. Wonder is the energy levels enough in the nut

You just could not give cows enough of grass that is topped or aftergrass as there is no fibre in it .What lads do is they graze the ordinary paddock which is not topped in the daytime and put them on the lush grass at night

You just could not give cows enough of grass that is topped or aftergrass as there is no fibre in it .What lads do is they graze the ordinary paddock which is not topped in the daytime and put them on the lush grass at night
We usually top a round and leave it and see from there then if paddocks get steamy would give them a run. You'd be wondering where the DM is in the grass.

Back